sats4eva
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Telus
Default Rogers Wireless: Data Plan and Wifi

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,
my buddy is looking to get the new curve 8900 with Rogers wireless. Given that I've never dealt with Rogers I thought id ask the question here. We did call them but they are a bunch of goofs, i get a different answer each time.

My buddy is looking to get the 500MB plan for the $25. So that should cover him I hope for the month for data and email. Now here is my question. If he is connected on Wifi and checks email or uses BBM or anything data related, does this count against his MB usage or is the data free to use over the wifi (meaning doesnt use from his limit)

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
dhong2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

as far as im aware. this is how my plan works as well.
with wifi. it will only work with things such as internet browsing.
any email or messages sent through bbm or any instant messaging count as data, or as part of a seperate messaging plan if your buddy decides to go with that route. i do believe rogers still has the $25 blackberry messaging plan with includes unlim; email, instant messaging of any sort so bbm, windows live etc... and then the bonus's are voicemail, call display and the "who called" feature. Otherwise wifi will not take away from your data usage unless its surfing the web using the mobile browser or checking your email via the internet browser. any messages sent through bbm, and blackberrys email service will be deducted from the data. unless of course the plan somehow includes unlimited email and messaging of all sorts. then the data is just taken away when browsing is done away from a wifi hotspot.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
yybenedb

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhong2
as far as im aware. this is how my plan works as well.
with wifi. it will only work with things such as internet browsing.
any email or messages sent through bbm or any instant messaging count as data, or as part of a seperate messaging plan if your buddy decides to go with that route. i do believe rogers still has the $25 blackberry messaging plan with includes unlim; email, instant messaging of any sort so bbm, windows live etc... and then the bonus's are voicemail, call display and the "who called" feature. Otherwise wifi will not take away from your data usage unless its surfing the web using the mobile browser or checking your email via the internet browser. any messages sent through bbm, and blackberrys email service will be deducted from the data. unless of course the plan somehow includes unlimited email and messaging of all sorts. then the data is just taken away when browsing is done away from a wifi hotspot.
I am not sure that you are correct by my evidence is anecdotal. I am with Rogers. Yesterday when I turned off my mobile network (Rogers), I left on my wi-fi connection and continued to send and receive emails and bbms. Basically everything was working besides SMS. That suggests to me that only SMS should be charged to my data plan when hooked up to wi-fi. Any Rogers experts here?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

SMS messages will be charged against what ever SMS plan you have, voice against your minutes. When connected to Wi-Fi all data that would go via BES or BIS or of course specifically via Wi-Fi will not be charged against your data. Any data that is sent specifically via direct TCP or WAP will.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
cmuncan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
SMS messages will be charged against what ever SMS plan you have, voice against your minutes. When connected to Wi-Fi all data that would go via BES or BIS or of course specifically via Wi-Fi will not be charged against your data. Any data that is sent specifically via direct TCP or WAP will.
you've said it bang-on ... I've got the 500MB data plan and there have been months where I've downloaded almost 1GB worth of data via streaming radio, stress tests, etc. and since it was mostly WiFi which i was using, I didn't get charged for it.

If at first you don't succeed, give up because if you can't do it right the first time, you'll never be able to do it!
Closed Thread