Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
proto-t

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default SD slot

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if the sd slot on the 8800 is sdio enabled?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
jawyman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Cingular

anyone? I would like to know for the 8310
Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Info on SDIO.

Quote:
SDIO stands for Secure Digital Input Output.

SD slots can actually be used for more than flash memory cards. Devices that support SDIO (typically PDAs like the Palm Treo, but occasionally laptops or cell phones) can use small devices designed for the SD form factor, like GPS receivers, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapters, modems, Ethernet adapters, barcode readers, IrDA adapters, FM radio tuners, TV tuners, RFID readers, digital cameras, or other mass storage media such as hard drives.

A number of other devices have been proposed but not yet implemented, including RS-232 serial adapters, fingerprint scanners, SDIO to USB host/slave adapters (which would allow an SDIO-equipped handheld device to use USB peripherals and/or interface to PCs), magnetic strip readers, combination Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPS transceivers, cellular modems (PCS, CDPD, GSM, etc.), and APRS/TNC adapters.

SDIO cards are fully compatible with SD Memory Card host controller (including mechanical, electrical, power, signaling and software). When an SDIO card is inserted into a non SDIO-aware host, it will cause no physical damage or disruption to device or host controller. SPI bus topology is mandatory for SDIO, unlike SD Memory. Most of the SD Memory commands are not supported in SDIO. SDIO cards can contain 8 separate logical cards, though at the moment this is at most a memory and IO function. SD slots will only take SD cards. SDIO slots will take SD cards and SDIO cards.
I don't think the BlackBerry is SDIO compatable, since there is no mention of it anywhere on the BlackBerry. If you are worried about security the BlackBerry device supports Media Card encryption itself (In fact RIM would not release a device with a SD slot until it could be "secured")

After reading the article from Wikipedia, putting the SDIO card in the BlackBerry will not harm it but you probably will not be able to take advantage of the security features.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Medusalith

Model: 9300
Carrier: optimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Info on SDIO.

I don't think the BlackBerry is SDIO compatable, since there is no mention of it anywhere on the BlackBerry. If you are worried about security the BlackBerry device supports Media Card encryption itself (In fact RIM would not release a device with a SD slot until it could be "secured")

After reading the article from Wikipedia, putting the SDIO card in the BlackBerry will not harm it but you probably will not be able to take advantage of the security features.
I'm not a knowledge person on this subject but am trying to know more about it and have come across this article 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card from Just Mobile is great even for Existing 802.11b Wi-Fi Users | Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine
and my silly question is, if a BB uses windows mobile and since the SDIO card comes with an application cd to install the drivers for the sd wi fi card, won't those drivers enable the handheld to work with the SDIO card?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusalith View Post
I'm not a knowledge person on this subject but am trying to know more about it and have come across this article 802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card from Just Mobile is great even for Existing 802.11b Wi-Fi Users | Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine
and my silly question is, if a BB uses windows mobile and since the SDIO card comes with an application cd to install the drivers for the sd wi fi card, won't those drivers enable the handheld to work with the SDIO card?
BlackBerry does not use Windows Mobile.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Medusalith

Model: 9300
Carrier: optimus

So it's all 200% RIM from hardware to software.
Good heads-up for this layman newbie.
Thanks

PS: It's a shame to discover that althou BB's sofware is very good it leaves out these kind of tech upgrades :((((

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specs mini sdio wifi:
Not Compatible with (incomplete list): Motorola MPx220, Motorola Q (WM5 Smartphone), Cingular 2125, Audiovox SMT5600, and all Palm OS/BlackBerry/Symbian/Sony/ Nokia phones

--------------------------------------------------
Stopped bowling for Columbine?
Good to know!

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-08-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Not too much of a shame... That "Not compatible" list is pretty long.

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread