BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-18-2005, 03:55 AM   #101
nassarnaim

Model: 7290

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. My blackberry device is unlocked and accepts non blackberry sims. Is there anyway in your knowledge that will allow me to have gprs internet access on my device?

Thanks,
Naim
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #102
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT
Default wap.cingular vanishes after reboot

I entered the apn, name, and pw as instructed, saved them, and then pulled the battery. When I restarted the device and looked in options-tcp, my entires were gone!

What did I do wrong? I have a 7100g on cingular.

Nothing else was broken from all of this. Is it normal for the APN data to vanish after the reboot?

I vaguely recall a similar problem either on this forum or on howardforums, but my search failed to find it.

Thanks from a novice in advance.

Last edited by dulcamara; 04-18-2005 at 10:07 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #103
cjasik

Default Verichat / TCP problems with Cingular Manhattan

Has anybody gotten this to work with Cingular in Manhattan? I've called up Cingular and they claim i have the "data connect" on my plan, and also tried both isp.cingular, wap.cingular, and proxy TCP settings all to no avail (e.g. cannot open tunnel). Any advice?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #104
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I have the 7100g with Cingular in New York and I use wap.cingular.

There is no need to pull the battery!! Just enter the settings in the TCP options and then try VeriChat or whichever program you are attempting to use. Make sure you enter the information exactly as it is supposed to be, as it is case sensative. Also, Cingular WILL charge you for the extra data you use at the rate of 1 cent per KB, even if you already have the Unlimited BlackBerry plan.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #105
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
There is no need to pull the battery!!
Yes!

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar, as is Anthony from ikodorro. You two got my ssh + wap.cingular to work and explained what I should expect to pay for it. Mille grazie!

Next step, a call to Cingular to see what the Nobel laureate on the other end of the phone thinks I'll pay. If any of my direct lines to the data people still work, I'll report back with the number. So far I'm 0 for 4 on those numbers.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #106
rob780

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

First off, I have been reading these forums for almost a week now and have tried searching for an answer to my problem but have been as yet unsuccesful. I feel like such a huge newbie idiot drowning in a sea of information that is so close to what I am used to and yet so very different.

That said, I'm having trouble getting third party applications to load OTA or even run properly once they have been installed via the desktop manager. I've tried a ton of the different midlets in other threads and always get a file size of 0 which leads to a 907. I figured this might be because I am not using MDS so I needed to get TCP/IP setup.

I have a 7100t and just upgraded it to BBOS 4.0. I am running through tmobile with the blackberry addon to my voice plan. I have setup the APN as wap.voicestream.com and have tried my username for both the tmobile website as well as the one I used for my tmo.blackberry.net email. Nothing seems to change either way.

I called the tmo wireless data group and they were absolutely zero help and in fact asked me where I got the information for the APN and started badgering me until I could tactfully slip out of the conversation and end the call.

I am at my wits end with this and really want to be able to use my blackberry as I do all of my other geektoys, as a power user. I am a developer and really want to see what this is capable before I start playing with writing applications for it.

Also, I looked at ramble IM today but noticed that it requires MDS. Does this mean it will work with MDS only or would having TCP/IP setup bypass this requirement? I'm still trying to differentiate between all of this new terminology.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:07 AM   #107
chris32111
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: verizon
Default nextel blackberry 7520

i was just wondering there is a way to get the internet with the blackberry without getting the data service? all i want the blackberry is to go on the aim.... please get back to me asap aim...chris32111
Old 04-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #108
Eric5273

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob780
I have setup the APN as wap.voicestream.com and have tried my username for both the tmobile website as well as the one I used for my tmo.blackberry.net email. Nothing seems to change either way.
I believe you are supposed to leave the username and password blank. Try that.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #109
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

(1) Keep calling T-Mobile back. And tell them you got the instructions from a forum.
(2) Having TCP/IP will bypass the MDS requirement. Not all companies are familiar with the fact that it's possible to bypass the MDS requirement now, although this can be tricky with some carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob780
I called the tmo wireless data group and they were absolutely zero help and in fact asked me where I got the information for the APN and started badgering me until I could tactfully slip out of the conversation and end the call.

I am at my wits end with this and really want to be able to use my blackberry as I do all of my other geektoys, as a power user. I am a developer and really want to see what this is capable before I start playing with writing applications for it.

Also, I looked at ramble IM today but noticed that it requires MDS. Does this mean it will work with MDS only or would having TCP/IP setup bypass this requirement? I'm still trying to differentiate between all of this new terminology.

Thanks in advance!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #110
rob780

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:

I finally got through to somebody helpful with tmo's pda support. They told me to leave the username and password blank and also told me that blackberry.net would work as an APN as well. I tried both wap.voicestream.com and blackberry.net with blank username/pass and was still receiving "Could not find a service book entry for IPPP" messages.

Is there something I need to be doing after saving my TCP settings other than rebooting?
Old 04-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #111
marcol

Model: 7730
Carrier: sunrise

Hey RGabo,
I had the same problem as you. In Swizerland you only have enterprise solution for the Blackberry so I find a Prosumer Blackberry on E-bay and tried to use it with a Sim-card from Sunrise. Fisrt I could not use reqwieless programs I had every time an error message. After this I downloaded the OS 3.7 of Rogers and instaled it on my BB (7730 Vodafone Germany) and now it works perfectly.

I have a question for Mark R: is there anny possibility to use the BB browser and e-mail if I don't have the push service or is it only activated from the operator??

Thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #112
jqr

Model: 7290

Has anyone actually got TCP working *at all* on a non-Blackberry network. I have tried with 3.8 and 4.0 on a 7290, but all of the internet applications "time out" when using TCP mode.

I have tried the 7290 with 3 SIM cards of 3 different operators (Voda AU, Optus AU, Telstra AU). The correct APN for true-internet profile was used. I have verified that I have the correct APN on all 3 SIM cards by trying those SIM cards in a Nokia 6230 and using that as a GPRS modem - which worked *perfectly*. Therefore it is an issue with the stupid Blackberry.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 AM   #113
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqr
Has anyone actually got TCP working *at all* on a non-Blackberry network. I have tried with 3.8 and 4.0 on a 7290, but all of the internet applications "time out" when using TCP mode.
No. Apparently, this is a BlackBerry security mechanism.

Theoretically, it could permit the BlackBerry to do so, but RIM prefers you use the BlackBerry on a BlackBerry capable carrier, so there's an incentive for them to limit the functionality.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #114
SmogFarm

Model: 7100t

I've read through this thread and the Verichat one and still have some questions regarding my 7100T...

I want to run some sort of Telnet client (not installed yet) and VeriChat, which is installed but not working. I do not use BES.

1. I enter wap.voicestream.com into the APN, but every time I pull/replace the battery that entry is blank again. Is this normal?

2. VeriChat has "Force MDS" and "T-Mobile, non BES" network settings. Should either of these or both be selected?

Thought I'd try to get those questions answered before I call in for tech support, perhaps my account is not activated for APN.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #115
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

SmogFarm:
What version of BlackBerryOS are you using? Some versions of BlackBerryOS has bugs. See if you can upgrade to a newer version. As for VeriChat, try defaults. If they don't work, try toggling both of the other options.

Most people get different error messages whenever you have APN empty (or incorrect APN) versus APN filled. Try testing this, to make sure you get an exact error message ONLY when APN is filled to "wap.voicestream.com" ... That means it's actually working but the carrier is giving you problems - if this happens, you have to call your carrier tech support.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #116
SmogFarm

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
SmogFarm:
What version of BlackBerryOS are you using? Some versions of BlackBerryOS has bugs. See if you can upgrade to a newer version. As for VeriChat, try defaults. If they don't work, try toggling both of the other options.
Progress! I updated my firmware to 4 something and now wap.voicestream.com (no user or pass) remains saved and seemed to do the trick WITH "Tmobile, non-BES" selected in VeriChat. MSN works like a charm!

Now I've moved on to the telnet apps. Idorkorro is failing with a Java error and MidpSSH is giving me an error about a malformed address. I'm trying to use TCP/IP as my protocal. Is that correct? Something else I should be doing?

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #117
woyteg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
This is what I was told by TMO "spec". As the 3rd part application I use BBToday and Causerie without any problems.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #118
rhwd2003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

i setup everything that Mark setup in his FAQ for the APN for Cingular. I tried uppercase letters like he has in his and i tried lowercase, dont know if it matters. But with the BBWeather program I still am getting the same could not open tunnel - failed

please advise
Old 05-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #119
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You probably have to call Cingular, as per instructions.
Quote:
Cingular - Now has TCP/IP; No MDS hosting needed
Go to Options->TCP
APN: wap.cingular
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Cingular works now, though you may have to call Cingular to make sure that you ask for the "Data Connect" plan ($5/month Media plan) added in addition to your existing "BlackBerry Unlimited Data". Both data plans are required simultaneously. Once this is done, you will have several additional line items that show up on your Cingular bill (this may vary).
Quote:
WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
The wap.cingular APN is the official Cingular recommended APN. Exact instructions for telephoning Cingular to configure your account is listed here. Occasionally, Cingular Blue users may have to use an APN of "proxy" with blank username and password. An alternate configuration is an APN of "isp.cingular" with username "ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM" and password of "CINGULAR1". More info in this this thread and alternate Cingular contact information in this thread. Yet more useful instructions are also found here.
Check this out too:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=50406
Old 05-09-2005, 03:45 AM   #120
Tim Koltek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
You're right - MARK UPDATE THE FAQ!