BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
dougdoug99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default BB 7920 Questions - Help appreciated.

Please Login to Remove!

I just got this thing and I love it so much but I have a few questions.

1. I read bluetooth won't work with a computer? Does this mean that even if I get a bluetooth receiver it can't connect wirelessly?

2. I have no service provide right now, but I'd like to add pictures to my bb, is there any way to do this? I've tried attaching a picture to an outlook task but I can't open the attachment.

3. Is there a way to make it sync with my inbox without having email setup? (Can't set up because of no provider for now)

4. Is there any way to use a computer's internet while connected to it to surf the web?

5. I've searched like crazy but I can't find any themes for the 7290. Will there ever be any?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
1. I read bluetooth won't work with a computer? Does this mean that even if I get a bluetooth receiver it can't connect wirelessly?
That's right. Bluetooth is only for audio/wireless headset.

Quote:
2. I have no service provide right now, but I'd like to add pictures to my bb, is there any way to do this? I've tried attaching a picture to an outlook task but I can't open the attachment.
No; the only way to add pictures is either via browsing to the image and downloading, or sending an e-mail with the image, along with BES or BWC 4.0. Your handheld must also be on v4.0.

Quote:
3. Is there a way to make it sync with my inbox without having email setup? (Can't set up because of no provider for now)
The BlackBerry NEVER syncs the Inbox. Messages are forwarded to the BlackBerry as the hit the Inbox. There is no Inbox sync.

Quote:
4. Is there any way to use a computer's internet while connected to it to surf the web?
Uh, no. Under some conditions you can use the BB as a modem, but you can not go the other way.

Quote:
5. I've searched like crazy but I can't find any themes for the 7290. Will there ever be any?
Dunno; maybe one day RIM will make a themes generator. First, you have to get a provider and get started. I'd worry about themes later.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
dougdoug99

Thanks a lot for the fast response!

I've never owned a phone/PDA before and that is why I'm uncertain about the whole provider deal.

I'll be home from university on April 22, so I think if I set it up now then I won't be able to use it when I go back home? (because the phone # will be long distance)

Also, I may be getting a family plan in May, so if I get Pay as you go for my Bb now, can I just switch to family plan in May?

Sorry if I sound like a total idiot, but I can't find any information about this stuff.

Also, if I just get a pay as you go, can I still use the BB to surf the web but it costs money? Or can I only surf web/get email with a data plan?

Last question
On the site it says .5MB data. What exactly does this mean? Is this incoming bandwidth or storage or something?

Thanks again!!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Each carrier has different plans. The .5MB is the incoming and outgoing data. Messages, attachments, web browsing, chat, IM all count as data. .5MB IS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT. You will go way over that and get socked with very high charges. Not sure who is offering that, but it is NOT a good idea,

You have to be sure you get a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN. Repeat after me: a BLACBERRY DATA PLAN.

Who has Pay as you go BlackBerry?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
dougdoug99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Each carrier has different plans. The .5MB is the incoming and outgoing data. Messages, attachments, web browsing, chat, IM all count as data. .5MB IS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT. You will go way over that and get socked with very high charges. Not sure who is offering that, but it is NOT a good idea,

You have to be sure you get a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN. Repeat after me: a BLACBERRY DATA PLAN.

Who has Pay as you go BlackBerry?
Rogers offers it. The cheapest data plan is $45CDN/month + charges etc. and it's only .5MB I think. They say 10 emails a day.

I'm just using it as a phone I think.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I would not get that plan. What are the overage charges? Rogers also has an "unlimited" plan which has a 25MB monthly limit. Just check out Mark Rejhon's threads about the $300 bill he got on the "unlimited plan".

I would not recommend getting BlackBerry to use only as a phone. That would be the equivalent of me getting a Porsche to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. The wrong tool for the job.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
dougdoug99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I would not get that plan. What are the overage charges? Rogers also has an "unlimited" plan which has a 25MB monthly limit. Just check out Mark Rejhon's threads about the $300 bill he got on the "unlimited plan".

I would not recommend getting BlackBerry to use only as a phone. That would be the equivalent of me getting a Porsche to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. The wrong tool for the job.
I got it because I love the interface, I wanted a PDA and I don't have a cellphone. All those combined lead to getting a blackberry.. and it was a decent deal.

I read a thread about accessing the internet WITHOUT a data plan, but apparently that doesn't work
Old 04-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

A BlackBerry with out a BB Data Plan is a mediocre phone.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
dougdoug99

I agree. But it's still a decent PDA.

I may look into a data plan in the future, but for now it's too expensive for me.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Well said NJ. Why would you want to have a BB with no data services? That's like having a car you can't drive 'cause you didn't buy gas!
Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
dougdoug99

I don't disagree with either of you, but the fact is I have a blackberry now and I can't afford data services

I will use it to sync with outlook and also to keep myself organized. I just needed some kind of cellphone and rather than waste money on a phone I would be happy with I got a BB. It works well enough as a phone for me.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if there's any way to use this to access the internet with only a pay as you go phone plan? I wish I could just visit web pages like a cell phone.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #12
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

No disrespect meant Doug...the data plans are expensive.

Even if you get a pay as you go phone plan you still wouldn't be able to access the internet - you need a data plan to do that.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #13
dougdoug99

It seems as though the data plans are far cheaper in the states too which really sucks!

Okay - I was confused by that thread about configuring the APN: It led me to believe I could access the internet without data. I don't think I can get data for pay as I go (unless it's a ridiculous price) and I guess I don't really need it for now.

And I'm sure I will still get my money's worth by just using it as a phone and organizer because people buy more expensive PDAs and cell phones which aren't as functional IMO. I'm looking forward to learning to use this thing.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
NEXQUIN

Model: 7520
Carrier: NEXTEL

I have a question, if I have a 7290 and was thinking about using BES would I also have to pay Cingular the $40 per month for blackberry email and web?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

In order to use the handheld for any type of *data* you need a data plan. It's this data plan that allows you to connect to a BES server, which to buy is really expensive. Fortunately there are thrid party providers out there.

When people ask me how much a blackberry costs, I tell them that on top of the price they are going to pay for the handheld, it's gonna be about $100 per month (CDN) for any type of descent usage. Tack another $40-50 per month for hosted exchange/BES. There are cheaper BES providers out there. I have never dealt with any third party BES providers.

There is a wealth of information that can be found on here regarding handhelds without data plans and what BES is, and how to get it. People can use the SEARCH function as this stuff has already been discussed dozens and dozens of times.

cd.
Closed Thread