BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
DanWill

Model: 8703
Exclamation Emergency Contact List

Please Login to Remove!

We are looking to roll out ECL but want to see if anyone has already rolled it out. How is it working for you, are you pleased with the results, how did you initially roll it out?

If you have rolled out something similar for a contact list with its own icon pushed from the BES, what did you use and how did it go?

~DW
Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Chrisv2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon & at&t
Default ECL Rollout

I have tested/used the ECL on a 4.0 server & device and it works great!

I'm now trying to deploy using 4.1 and am having issues. But, those issues are replated to my NOT being a Java programmer, using Studio.

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

BlackBerry Journal ECL Article

Click on the above link, this article is what you want. If you email the [email address] you can get the code they are talking about. They include the .NET and Java code. I implemented it in our company. Works pretty slick.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

What version did you guys roll out the ECL with? The latest KB on this is located here...

Livelink - Redirection

Just wondering what's the easiest method to make this happen. I have ZERO developer background btw ;)
Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
lapianoman

Model: 8700
PIN: 23DF8D30
Carrier: AT&T

Has anyone else had problems getting the Client Catcher to install on 7520's or 8800's? I've only tried the USB-attached method so far.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I currently have the catcher version deployed to a few of our users as its the only one that can remian indefinitely on a handhelds. The custom browser version will only remain in the BB cache for 12-24 hours (one of the values) and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to adjust this based on the code they provided. The catcher version has its own limitations as well, as its just a rigid text base document and doesn't allow live links.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
cool dude

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: voda
Default Ecl Ota

Has anyone tried to send the catcher application OTA using a Software configuration.

I am having difficulty getting it to show up in the Software Applications list in the Software Configuration.

I followed the admin instructions, but I am not sure whether to put the whole BSG folder into the applications folder or not.

It is indexing, as I can see index files listed.
I am using 4.1 BES and I am using the BB Manager on the BES box.

I already have the firmware sending down this way, but just cannot get the ECL app to show up under Application Software.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
fxmobile

Carrier: ATT
Default Ecl Java Based - Client Catcher

HEY Fellas!!!

I have rolled out the Domino ECL application in our Environment.
We have gotten around the problem with the "Browser Push" where the information is only available for 12-24 hours... We created an AGENT in domino which will push out the Java Browser push every 6hrs and this way it will ensure that we always have the information available.

At the moment we are stuck with trying to get the client side application to
to be able to work just like the browser push does and work as a live link.
meaning you click and are able to make a phone call, pin or email.

Any suggestions or does anyone have the code out there..

I should mention that I am a newbie at developement.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
fxmobile

Carrier: ATT

We have rolled out the client based application without a problem on multiple units. from 72xx to 88xx.

I have copied the alx file to the application folder under the c:\program files\common files\ research in motion( which should be shared.) then you
go to the command prompt and you go to the directory. \program files\common files\ research in motion \apploader and type: loader /index

This should index the app and you should see other few files like .pkg created.

Go to the software configurations and then create a new software config and set it to wireless. allow it up to 4 hours.

I should also mention that if you are using a remote desktop manager from your desktop, you should then install the application in your desktop.

however it is best if you install in the bes server and jsut remote into it with pcanywhere or dameware or whatever you use.

assign the software configuration to the user or device and then you can also do an update configuration status this will show you whether or not
the application will be successfully install ususally it will desplay install required and then you wait for the 2-4 hrs.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just a side note if you have 4.1 SP4 BES Manager, you have a right-click option to Deploy Applications so you don't have to wait 4 hrs.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
jastclark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850
PIN: options>status
Carrier: Verizon

i just rolled this out it took minutes to setup and push to devices. This is a great tool should your infrastructure lock up and freeze some other routes of communication. I used the gui set but am looking to push out via service to continually update the information.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
DOT-ITguy

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default ECL Lotus Domino Agent

Fxmobile, Can you give more details how you set up a Lotus Notes agent to do scheduled ECL data pushes to clients? My organization is starting to use the ECL, but we have not been able to create such an Agent yet, and it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxmobile View Post
HEY Fellas!!!

I have rolled out the Domino ECL application in our Environment.
We have gotten around the problem with the "Browser Push" where the information is only available for 12-24 hours... We created an AGENT in domino which will push out the Java Browser push every 6hrs and this way it will ensure that we always have the information available.

At the moment we are stuck with trying to get the client side application to
to be able to work just like the browser push does and work as a live link.
meaning you click and are able to make a phone call, pin or email.

Any suggestions or does anyone have the code out there..

I should mention that I am a newbie at developement.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
DOT-ITguy

Default ECL Results

Dan,

I apologize - I should have responded to your original question! My organization is in the process of implementing the Lotus Domino version of ECL. It works ok (and is better than nothing), but has the following limitations:
  1. The Java client on the handheld does not display data very well - it tends to cut off long strings of data
  2. The Java client does not have "active links" which allow you to click on a field, say a phone number, and dial it directly. The user has to copy/paste phone numbers into the Phone application.
  3. The browser version does not have issues 1&2, but the cache gets purged every 12 hours by default. If a user tries to access it when the cache is gone, a misleading error occurs stating "access denied".

We are working on scheduling the data push to eliminate Issue#3, and if it works, we'll be fairly happy. Otherwise, for a free application, I think it's a great tool. If you have some Java developers in house it could really open doors to other possibilities.

Last edited by DOT-ITguy; 10-30-2007 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
DOT-ITguy

Default ECL .NET Client

I have also done some testing with the .NET version of the ECL, which runs as a Windows service, and it seems to be easy to implement and works fairly well. Unlike the Domino version, the .NET ECL has built-in functions for scheduling data pushes, significantly reducing the potential for problems caused by the browser cache getting purged after 12 hours. The .NET version can use a SQL database, Access DB, or Excel spreadsheet as the source for the Contact data you want to push to handhelds.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
bnandreu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I'm getting kicked in the head here. ECL is not updating on some 8800 devices. It is updating on 8830s. The 8800 shows "Downgrade Required" when pushing the client catcher via a Software Configuration. I need a clue. Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
jaltig
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

does the dot.net version of catcher give you live links or are you still stuck with the browser version for this?
Closed Thread