Old 03-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Wiped device won't activate again

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to figure out what happened here. I had some trouble with a 3rd party application crashing constantly. I couldn't get it to uninstall properly so I wiped the device from the security options menu with the 3rd party application data option checked. Now I can't activate the device again.

I set a new activation password from Blackberry Manager and retried the activation, still nothing. I wiping with JLCmder, reinstalling the OS and activating thinking something in the wipe didn't work out. Again no activation. I gave up on that device and moved to a known good handheld with the SIM, no activation there either. In all cases the devices sit there at the activating emaill address. Eventually it times out, at no point does it come up with anything indicating progress.

BES is working fine, all of the devices are checking in. I would have gotten calls if there were outages anyway.

Is there something about wiping a handheld that can screw up something on one's account?

T-Mo is offering me a replacement handset but this is going to screw up licensing for some of my applications.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Oh, almost forgot PIN messages go through just fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I guess it isn't T-Mobile. I added a test account to BES and it activated just fine. My account still doesn't activate though. I deleted my account and started over again, still nothing. I'm thinking that I may need to contact RIM.

I checked the ACL for my mailbox on Exchange and the BES Admin account has full control so it should be able to see the ETP.DAT.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

If you removed your account (from AD, I am guessing) and you still have the issue, it would be interesting to see what happens to other users of this 3rd party app. BTW your account isn't a domain admin is it (or one of the other priviledged accounts...)? I know you will say your account hasn't changed, only the BB, but I have to ask....

As it's the weekend, I wonder if you happened to do this while some updates were applied to Exchange and/or BES (again sounds like a long shot but stranger things have happened).
Old 03-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Spawneh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone NZ

If you are able to activate this device against another account this definitely rules out an issue with the device/network.

What happens during the activation? can you trace the etp.dat message through your environment until it reach's your mailbox?

Then what happens to it?
Closed Thread