Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
jpvj

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TDC Mobile
Default BES / Domino WAN setup - input needed

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Our skills related to Domino is rather small, so I hope to get some input from people with Domino experience.

Setup:
We have 2 sites A and B with a WAN connection between.
The Domino server in site A will be denoted Domino-A and the Domino in site B will be denoted Domino-B.

The WAN connection has a rather high latency (about 300ms).

All external mail to the company arrives at site A (MX record pointing to site A).

Users physically working at site B has their home server set to Domino-B and a replica mailbox on Domino-A

Mail is replicated every 5 minutes between Domino-A and Domino-B.

BES 4.1.4 SP4 MR3 is installed in site A on a separate Domino 7.0.2 server. I will refer to this as Domino-A-BES

Questions:
1) What Domino server is used for communication regarding Blackberry data flow for users in site B?

I know BES uses Domino API's on the Domino-A-BES, and the communication is actually between Domino-BES and one of the other Domino servers, so I expect this to be a pure Domino issue.

(Does Domino-A-BES communicate with the Domino-A or Domino-B? and why?)

2) In Exchange setups, a latency no more that 32ms is recommended between the BES and the Exchange server due to the MAPI protocol. Does similar recommendations exists for Domino setups?

Hoping to get some solid answers. I you have any white-papers/KB articles supporting your answer, I would be pleased to see them as well.

Best regards,

Jens-Peter
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
MikeB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: BELL

1: The Bes server gets the information from their person document. So in this case it's gonna be server B.

The bes server on Domino A is gonna poll (using a connection doc) every user's mail db's on server B. It read and write informations and send it back to RIM Network via an internet connection.

You can read a technical overview here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...iew%5B1%5D.pdf

Mike
Closed Thread