BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
figure6

Model: 7100t
Default Found Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

A Blackberry was left at my job and has been there for months now.
My question is.... The phone service is off but I'm still able to browse the web, why is this? Does Blackberry allow web access without phone access? Or, am I connected to a wireless network in the area?
And, am I able to set this Blackberry up with my own account with it being lost from someone elses? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

No you shouldnt use this. Find out the service provider it belongs to and return it to them.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

I'd say return but would think if the person left it behind, was it a company purchase for that person? I dont see any other reason why someone would leave their BB behind....if it was a company thing, that might be why its still active and u can connect w/the web?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Toddboy71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

Do the right thing.... return it to the carrier..... you didnt buy it.....
despite some advice you might get from others, don't play finders keepers..... If I lost mine for months, regardless I would be exited to get it back, just so I know my info is safe and secure.....
Old 01-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Love the "I found a BlackBerry" threads, always seem to start with can I use it without getting caught or the rightful user finding out? Do the right thing and return it to it's respctive carrier, based on the PIN and IMEI the original user can be tracked down. Would you not wish for the same if you lost your BlackBerry/PDA?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

I cant believe you would even consider keeping it. What kind of person would willfully put another person through the stress of losing something? Even if it was a company purchase, and the guy left it there, I would be relieved to know that all company purchases had been accounted for. Return it, try treating someone with dignity and respect.

7250 - Bell Mobility
Waiting on a T3 BB from Rogers...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
micromind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Exclamation

thieft is thieft......................it's not yours plane and simple

Give it back !!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #8
shawn86mr2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

is data is working and the email is working..... maybe you should look at the settings maybe it would have their name in it or something or even the address book
Old 01-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
figure6

Model: 7100t

So many people messed with it at work that it went through the 10 chances of getting the password right and so it wiped the whole thing, so there's no info on it anywhere. This is an extremely busy coffeeshop that I work in where people are leaving tons of things everyday and as much as we try to return things to the rightful owners, you'd be amazed by how many phones we still have in our lost and found. So, once everything was erased off the blackberry we considerd it just another lost phone that was useless, which is why I asked if it would be possible to use it again. I'm not a thief because I didn't steal anything, I just borrowed it from work to see if it was even worth anything anymore. If it is possible to hunt the user down still and the phone company isn't going to just throw it in the back room and forget about it, then I'd love to return it to it's rightful owner or at least let them know their info was never seen. I'll see if I can follow up with the company it's through.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Insert foot in mouth right now! The fact you've opened you mouth to tell us you work in a coffee shop leads my to think it does belong to a business user. Further you've even posted on a public forum you took it for a test drive, see below. For the last time the BB will have it's carrier branding on it, with that in hand drop it off at a local dealer or corp. location, based on the IMEI and PIN they can track down the rightful owner user. By the way can I take you car (bike?) for a spin when your not watching? I'm not a theif I just want to borrow it for a while!
Quote:
I'm not a thief because I didn't steal anything, I just borrowed it from work to see if it was even worth anything anymore.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

The law is very similar in all the states: If you keep property that you know is not yours, you are committing a theft offense. Depending on the Blackberry, it might be worth enough to be a felony.

Do the right thing (as I have said before) and take it back to the carrier. In about a second, they can find out who it belongs to .
Old 01-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

stupid is as stupid does says it all
Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Guys, I agree with you 100%, but I think this guy deserves a chance. In his last message he said, "I'll see if I can follow up with the company it's through." I'm going to be the company will trash it, but figure6 said he will try. Let's give him a chance.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Sure he also said and I quote "he wanted to see if it's worth anything" if you ask me he's looking to make a buck without it coming back on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozment
Guys, I agree with you 100%, but I think this guy deserves a chance. In his last message he said, "I'll see if I can follow up with the company it's through." I'm going to be the company will trash it, but figure6 said he will try. Let's give him a chance.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
Reesa23

Model: 7130e
PIN: 32BED3FE
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
we considerd it just another lost phone that was useless
Return it to who ever the cell service carrier is. They can track who it belongs to. Blackberry users pay one fee for phone service, and a seperate fee for internet access. So the person must have only subscribed to internet service. Sounds like some one lost there work phone and it's owned by a company that has not shut off internet access to that phone. If you get caught with it or activate phone service you could get in big trouble.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #16
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Sure he also said and I quote "he wanted to see if it's worth anything" if you ask me he's looking to make a buck without it coming back on him.
Yes, Finch, he did say that. Let's take him out behind the woodshed and beat the crap out of him! No! Wait! Just kidding! He did say that initially, but then the good folks at blackberryforums.com showed him his errant ways, and he seems to be in a position to redeem himself. All I'm suggesting is that we give him a chance to come back here and say, "Guys, I carried it to my local _______ store and turned it in." He said he would do that. If he doesn't, we take him out behind the wood shed...
Closed Thread