Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 AM   #41
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Will the 8700 get the voice activated dialing software ala 8100
That's a great question, I'll be interested to see if it does.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #42
Josh123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: AT&T

Has anyone had any lock opening WAV attachments on the 8100 using BIS or Desktop Redirection?

I haven't been to the office to setup the redirector yet, but so far, no love from BIS.

I'm pretty happy so far, BT tethering to my MacBook works!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #43
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by csurfr
Will the 8700 get the voice activated dialing software ala 8100? It can't be a hardware requirement, it's just a matter if RIM wants to let us have what should have been included to start with or wants us all to wait for them to release whatever happens to come next, right?
Both the 8700 and 8800 will lack this functionality. It may be added at a later date, but it is not currently on the plate for the 4.2 release.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #44
InPocket
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Engadget - Boy Genius Report
Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #45
jibi
BlackBerry God

I will expand on my original post below, concerning the 8700 only:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
xxx8226; Device Diagnostic Application - An application that will run diagnostics and report some of the following: IP Address, Network, Radio Access, Signal Level, Application Version, Free File Space, Radio Data Activation, Platform, etc. This will be various tests, including Self-Email, Self-PIN, etc. Reports/tests can be saved, emailed, PIN'd, etc.
Possibly present, but I'm not seeing it visibly on the device (I'm figuring this is accessed through a key combination

Quote:
xxx8226; Wireless Software Upgrade Control Application - No clue what this is, but it sounds interesting, doesn't it?
Possibly present, but I'm not seeing it visibly on the device

Quote:
xxx8226; Built-in Security Monitor - Will have the ability to wipe the device or take other actions on various triggers, such as data tampering.
Possibly present, but I'm not seeing it visibly on the device

Quote:
xxx8226; Setup Wizards - GUI interface to setup various aspects of the handheld.
QUITE useful for BlackBerry beginners; from a help desk point of view, this could potentially be the biggest benefit added in OS 4.2

Quote:
xxx8226; Voice Notes - Interactive voice recorder for taking and sending messages/notes.
No ability to save these; can MMS these to contacts (perhaps a bug) - not really seeing the usefulness in this, but c'est la vie.

Quote:
xxx8226; Voice Activated Dialing - Self-explanatory; see 'excited-wet-his-pants' notes from BG in the 8100 thread; appears to be supported ONLY in North America (Mexico/Spanish, United States/English, Canada/French).
Apparently no support for the 8700 (or 8800), as mentioned in previous threads/posts (elsewhere, possibly here) by myself

Quote:
xxx8226; Updated BlackBerry Messenger w/ new interface and appearance
Just an updated version; nothing new, visually, from what I can tell

Quote:
xxx8226; WAV file support for email attachments
Present and accounted for; expect future distiller updates for BES to include support for MP3 and AMR file types as well; MMS shows support for 3GPP video, although attempts in retrieval failed (this is the only mentioning of video support, thus far)
Old 09-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #46
jibi
BlackBerry God

For the 8700 only...

Supported AUDIO file types (although not yet implemented fully):
audio/3gpp
audio/aac
audio/adpcm
audio/amr
audio/basic
audio/mid
audio/midi
audio/mp4
audio/mpeg
audio/sp-midi
audio/wav
audio/x-gsm
audio/x-mid
audio/x-midi
audio/x-mpeg
audio/x-mpegurl
audio/x-oki-adpcm2
audio/x-scpls
audio/x-wav

Supported VIDEO file types (although not yet implemented fully):
video/3gpp
video/mp4
video/quicktime
video/x-msvideo
Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #47
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
For the 8700 only...

Supported AUDIO file types (although not yet implemented fully):
audio/3gpp
audio/aac
audio/adpcm
audio/amr
audio/basic
audio/mid
audio/midi
audio/mp4
audio/mpeg
audio/sp-midi
audio/wav
audio/x-gsm
audio/x-mid
audio/x-midi
audio/x-mpeg
audio/x-mpegurl
audio/x-oki-adpcm2
audio/x-scpls
audio/x-wav

Supported VIDEO file types (although not yet implemented fully):
video/3gpp
video/mp4
video/quicktime
video/x-msvideo
Where did this list come from?

I wasn't aware that the 8700 even had the hardware to support many of these audio formats, such as ADPCM, etc.

Jon
Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #48
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonberry
Where did this list come from?

I wasn't aware that the 8700 even had the hardware to support many of these audio formats, such as ADPCM, etc.

Jon
From within the media player browser plug-in COD file, for the 8700.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #49
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Jibi, did you grab the media player browser from the 8100's OS files? I was digging through there and found alot of 8700 stuff that leads me to believe the 8700 4.2 release probably isn't too far off, at least for the GSM bbys..
Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX
Jibi, did you grab the media player browser from the 8100's OS files? I was digging through there and found alot of 8700 stuff that leads me to believe the 8700 4.2 release probably isn't too far off, at least for the GSM bbys..
nope, i have 4.2 on my 8700. trust me, it better be a bit off and they better address some issues. 4.2 was not final on the 8100, but it was rushed to meet a product release launch (atleast in my opinion). there are many bugs on the 4.2 for the 8700, though. they should take their time and address them before release, though, so that's good.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #51
pulrang

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Best guess on how long that might take them?

TIA
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #52
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

Gents/Ladies,

Quick question here - will OS 4.2 be dependant on carrier? Or once 4.2 is out, it's out (meaning all 87xx devices including VZW will have access to leveraging the new OS?)

Might be a newb question though (for some!)

Regards,
dolo
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM   #53
jibi
BlackBerry God

dependent on platform; OS 4.2 for 8700 won't be compatible with the 8707 or 8703e and vice versa. it's not necessarily carrier dependent within the same technology, either ...just as it is today (you can use Cingular 8700c OS 4.2 on TMO 8700g, etc).
Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #54
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

Thanks for the insight - makes sense Jibi.

Regards,
dolo
Old 10-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #55
omkhar

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wouldn't the easiest way of determining the feature set be to download the 4.2 SDK/sim from RIM's site?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #56
ZeroKool

PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

WOW. Am i really behind things?

Is 4.2 OS out already for the 8700 series? What about BES 4.2 I hate the Blackberry.com website. It's so damn confusing
Old 11-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #57
omkhar

PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKool
WOW. Am i really behind things?

Is 4.2 OS out already for the 8700 series? What about BES 4.2 I hate the Blackberry.com website. It's so damn confusing
4.2 is standard issue on the 8100 (Pearl) I believe. It's not out on the 870x yet, but you can be assured the feature set should match the 4.2 sim that's in the SDK.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #58
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Among other improvements, here's a list of possible inclusions. These are merely my own opinions, there are no links for documentation on this information, none of them have been verified/validated by anyone in the world ...simply put, take these with a grain of salt (although a pretty large grain, if you prefer).

• Device Diagnostic Application - An application that will run diagnostics and report some of the following: IP Address, Network, Radio Access, Signal Level, Application Version, Free File Space, Radio Data Activation, Platform, etc. This will be various tests, including Self-Email, Self-PIN, etc. Reports/tests can be saved, emailed, PIN'd, etc.
• Camera (8100-only, currently) will support storage to Device Memory or Media Card; Picture sizes will Large, Medium, or Small; Picture quality will be Normal, Fine, or Superfine; Zoom Mode can be set to On/Off; Flash can be set to On, Off or Automatic (leaving on will cause battery drain); White Balance can be set to Automatic, Sunny, Cloudy, Night, Indoor, Incandescent, or Flourescents.
• Camera (8100-only, currently) can be disabled by IT Policy, for security-concerned administrators and companies.
• Location Based Services (LBS) - as Dawg mentioned on the 8100 thread, GPS navigation with turn-by-turn directions
• File Explorer - Ability to browse files on the handheld in designated user database areas; create folders, etc.
• Wireless Software Upgrade Control Application - No clue what this is, but it sounds interesting, doesn't it?
• Built-in Security Monitor - Will have the ability to wipe the device or take other actions on various triggers, such as data tampering.
• Setup Wizards - GUI interface to setup various aspects of the handheld.
• Voice Notes - Interactive voice recorder for taking and sending messages/notes.
• Voice Activated Dialing - Self-explanatory; see 'excited-wet-his-pants' notes from BG in the 8100 thread; appears to be supported ONLY in North America (Mexico/Spanish, United States/English, Canada/French).
• myFaves - Not really sure on this one either; appears to be some sort of community/IM-type Buddy List (could be WAY off on this assumption though); information is stored on a third-party server (icons, address book information, phone numbers, etc).
• Updated BlackBerry Messenger w/ new interface and appearance
• WAV file support for email attachments

Hello Jibi,

I have seen a couple of posts stating that there will be an upgrade to the 4.1 devices to 4.2.. i have a 8703e sprint. Is this true? Will this allow voice dialing? When do you think this will take place?

Thanks alot
Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #59
ZeroKool

PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

Anyone heard anything new about when the 4.2 OS will be released for the 8700 or any other device?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #60
jabxyz

Ya know I should have known when T-Mo offered me this free 7105 to switch from Cingular that something was fishy in Denmark. It has taken a while to unlock and de-cripple the thing which has allowed me to finally see that with no micro-SD card it sorely needs a way to manage files and transfer music, tone and pic files between the desktop and the handset. I'm running 4.1.0.309 now. Last night I downloaded version 4.2 of the desktop manager hoping that the OS for the handset was bundled with...not! My only solace is that RIM had 4.2 desktop manager specifically for the 7105 handset which included Media Mananger, available for download. I'm hoping that they did that knowing that they were going to release 4.2 OS for the 7105s with a matching feature set, i.e. Media manager. To the forum gawds, am I way off with this theory? Any skinny to either back this up or burst my bubble? Finally, the annoying question, very akin to my kids "are we there yet", any idea/info on a release date? Thanks.
Closed Thread