Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #41
capkapak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Maxis

Please Login to Remove!

This was taken from my provider's FAQ regarding Low Memory:-

" Low Memory Manager begins an automatic process of removing old, static items from flash memory This allows new information to be stored when a BlackBerry Wireless Handheldxxx8482; runs out of the available memory. Low Memory Manager is invoked when the File Free field displays 0 bytes. Flash memory stores user data for handheld applications, such as: Messages, Calendar, Address Book, Tasks and MemoPad. Memory is freed by deleting the data structures listed below in order of deletion.
xxx8226; Remote Address Lookup requests
xxx8226; Browser cache
xxx8226; Old attachment data
xxx8226; Old calendar entries
xxx8226; Old messages
If memory cannot be recycled by deleting these data structures, then the Low Memory Manager process ends.

Note: Calendar entries and emails deleted by the Low Memory Management are not reconciled back to the mail system.
The File Free field displays memory available for data storage. The File Total field displays remaining storage space, after loading the radio and operating system software as well as the overhead.
To view the File Free and the File Total fields on the handheld:
Go to Options > Status > File Free."
Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #42
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by capkapak
This was taken from my provider's FAQ regarding Low Memory:-

" Low Memory Manager begins an automatic process of removing old, static items from flash memory This allows new information to be stored when a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld™ runs out of the available memory. Low Memory Manager is invoked when the File Free field displays 0 bytes. Flash memory stores user data for handheld applications, such as: Messages, Calendar, Address Book, Tasks and MemoPad. Memory is freed by deleting the data structures listed below in order of deletion.
• Remote Address Lookup requests
• Browser cache
• Old attachment data
• Old calendar entries
• Old messages
If memory cannot be recycled by deleting these data structures, then the Low Memory Manager process ends.

Note: Calendar entries and emails deleted by the Low Memory Management are not reconciled back to the mail system.
The File Free field displays memory available for data storage. The File Total field displays remaining storage space, after loading the radio and operating system software as well as the overhead.
To view the File Free and the File Total fields on the handheld:
Go to Options > Status > File Free."
So if I read this right, i do not have to worry about the low memory situation, the Pearl OS takes care to clear and make room by performing this Low Memory Program check???
Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #43
capkapak

Carrier: Maxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryguy
So if I read this right, i do not have to worry about the low memory situation, the Pearl OS takes care to clear and make room by performing this Low Memory Program check???
Yeah in a perfect world I guess but it also says that "If memory cannot be recycled by deleting these data structures, then the Low Memory Manager process ends."

So I guess human intervention is still required in certain cases. At least there is a provision within the OS for Low Memory situations.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #44
DJFriar

Model: 8800

Ok, I'm running a BB 8800 with OS 4.2.1.72 and am lost. When I look for the languages, I see none. I did a systemwide search, including hidden files, and see no .cod files anywhere on my computer. I was able to remove the preloaded video, and the Help application, but would like to remove the rest of the preloaded content. I don't mind reloading the OS to have it get rid of the entries.

Anyone done this to an 8800 (Cingular)??? Or does anyway have some updated instructions?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #45
bobross

Carrier: Withheld

These instructions were created for the Pearl, but hopefully you'll be able to use them for the 8800...

Click Here

If you can't find the language packs on the phone, run the Application Loader and they should be listed under the Core Applications, you should be able to uncheck them to uninstall them... you might have an english only version of the software as well.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #46
ChesterJT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I only had about 8mb free so I deleted a ton of languages I didn't need and the demo video and now I'm sitting on about 20MB. Never thought to delete the languages.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #47
cheungsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

okay...two questions...how do I download my OS to my computer/laptop? i tried looking on the previously posted link, but couldn't find out how...

and for those of you who use Google Maps instead of the Blackberry Maps, will i run into any problems if I delete the Blackberry Maps?

...on the never-ending quest of trying to free up device memory...lol
Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #48
MrMarket

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

How can I locate all those .cod files? there is no program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files folder. I have the version 4.2 device manager.
When I go to the Application Loader, there is no option to see all those (400 or so) .cod and other files.
I deleted the non-English language files manually and the BB demo vid. Free memory jumped to 30Mb but I can't get the 43Mb other have had.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #49
marlopez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

my phone isn't out of memory, i have over 28 mb available and i also put all my pictures on a media card. but my phone is still slow. the only 3rd party apps i have are:
gmail
google maps
telenav

i deleted all the languages (but english) and bb maps. and the preloaded video.

it seems that my phone went slow all of a sudden. any ideas?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #50
j llama

Carrier: tmo

hmmm

maybe you have a faulty pearl
Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #51
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damager View Post
I think part of the problem MAY be MSDICT - not sure if he is running with local dictionaries or not, but that can take a LOT of space. I have lots of apps on my 8100 (also came from an 8700), and I have plenty of space, but recently purchased MSDICT, and cannot fit it into memory - I'll have to purchase a microSD card.
I get the bad feeling that this app, MSDICT, and others like thesaurus' & doctor medical documentation apps > converted from scratch from Palm OS based applications (there where some VERY GOOD one's) are going to eat up memory VERY quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo View Post
If MSDICT does not support external memory cards in BBs, then getting a microSD card for your 8100 is not going to solve your problem. But, at least you can move your pictures and put a lot of mp3s in your microSD.
With encryption on the MicroSD card should allow for applications to run or their databases for settings, user memory to be installed/run off of it. Would be nice but we'll see.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #52
MegaMan X
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Wifi Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile™ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
I've posted this in other threads, but it seems especially appropriate here. Plus, I've received a few PMs asking for help with this.

Mods break it into its own thread if you feel its deserving:

You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.

It's best to do this when upgrading the device to a new OS. For example, if you delete preloaded pictures (see step 5, below), they still show up as 0k files in the pictured folder. If you delete them when you reinstall the entire OS, they won't.

Not all of these steps need be followed, picking and choosing will work too. Where I say to delete a file below, it's probably better just to copy it into a new folder so that you can restore it if necessary. Whenever you want to implement the changes, simply run the apploader.

Back up your device first

(1) If you have a media card, go into the options in the media app and change "reserved pictures memory" to 0M. Even if you don't have a card, consider lowering the number to conserve memory. Savings = up to 10 MB.

(2) Delete the unnecessary language files. You can do it through options> advanced>applications, but the better, cleaner way to do it is through the apploader. When a new OS is installed on the PC (not the device) the .cod files are contained in the java folder at (for OS .69) program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.69_P2.2.0.40.

There are approx. 400 files, if you only want english, delete any file with the following at the end of the file name: __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr. Also delete all files with dynamic_ling (except for the English files). For os .69 there are a total of 186 language files totaling 12.4 MB that can be deleted in this manner. Plus, delete the .cod files for korean and semitic language support.

(3) Delete the .cod files with any themes (net_rim_theme_...) you don't use. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE ZEN THEME. By deleting the Cingular theme and the dimension icon theme I saved another MB.

(4) Delete the preloaded video, by deleting the .cod file: net_rim_bb_medialoader_video.cod. Savings = 2.4 MB.

(5) Delete the preloaded pictures by deleting the files: net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod. Savings = 3.5 MB.

(6) Delete the preloaded ringtones by deleting the file: net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od. Savings = 280k.

Total memory savings is about 30MB. If you don't use PTT on Cingular, delete those .cod files as well (they say ptt in them). If you don't play brickbreaker delete it. If you don't use the maps application delete it.

Keep in mind, however, that some strange things can happen when certain apps are deleted. For example, I deleted the memo pad and tasks on my 7130 and BBcorrector wouldn't work. It's probably best to follow these steps one at a time, so that you'll know which step to undo if a problem arises. Obviously, by messing with the OS files, you could turn your device into a nice Christmas tree ornament, and I take no responsibility if you do that. In discovering all of these steps, I bricked my device twice. However, I simply undid my previous step (i.e., restore some .cod files) reran the apploader and everything turned out fine.
this saved me alot of memory, thanks for posting this
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #53
cheungsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungsta View Post
okay...two questions...how do I download my OS to my computer/laptop? i tried looking on the previously posted link, but couldn't find out how...

and for those of you who use Google Maps instead of the Blackberry Maps, will i run into any problems if I delete the Blackberry Maps?
no help on either of my questions??
Old 04-28-2007, 04:47 AM   #54
taimur
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: mobilink

Go to Media,
In Options there is a setting for reserving memory in the phone for pictures.
Change it to 0MB and use a memory card for storing pictures.
That will free up a lot of memory.
If you want to free up more memory, delete the 2MB video in the device that comes as sample video.

That should help.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #55
JR.POLL

Default Help!

quick off topic question i just got my pearl and the preloaded video was working and the downloadable t-zone games were able 2 be downloaded, after downloading the app. quickplayer and some themes then deleting them all of a sudden i go try 2 download games and now it is saying that i got an unsupported device and that my phone is capable of recieving game downloads, my phone is not currently supported, and then it goes on 2 tell me 2 visit t-mobile.com/products, and when i try 2 go play the video it is saying that the media being played is of an unsupported format. Now i already tried restarting the OS but that didnt work, i reinstalled the quickplayer, but that didnt work, and i cant reinstall the themes cause that was from t-zones also just like quickplayer was, what should i do?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #56
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

A "virgin" Pearl out of the box will have about 18mb of free memory (I checked one recently). Deleting most of the language/video stuff will free up at least 12-14mb more. And the Pearl will not run any faster with 32mb free than it will with 5mb free. I've proven that on several units. just FYI
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #57
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23FA9743

Even if it won't run faster, it'll take longer before enough memory leaks to cause your call logs and SMS messages to disappear if you have more free memory. If you're borderline, you'll have to constantly reset your phone to keep it from auto-deleting.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #58
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
I've posted this in other threads, but it seems especially appropriate here. Plus, I've received a few PMs asking for help with this.

Mods break it into its own thread if you feel its deserving:

You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.

It's best to do this when upgrading the device to a new OS. For example, if you delete preloaded pictures (see step 5, below), they still show up as 0k files in the pictured folder. If you delete them when you reinstall the entire OS, they won't.

Not all of these steps need be followed, picking and choosing will work too. Where I say to delete a file below, it's probably better just to copy it into a new folder so that you can restore it if necessary. Whenever you want to implement the changes, simply run the apploader.

Back up your device first

(1) If you have a media card, go into the options in the media app and change "reserved pictures memory" to 0M. Even if you don't have a card, consider lowering the number to conserve memory. Savings = up to 10 MB.

(2) Delete the unnecessary language files. You can do it through options> advanced>applications, but the better, cleaner way to do it is through the apploader. When a new OS is installed on the PC (not the device) the .cod files are contained in the java folder at (for OS .69) program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.69_P2.2.0.40.

There are approx. 400 files, if you only want english, delete any file with the following at the end of the file name: __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr. Also delete all files with dynamic_ling (except for the English files). For os .69 there are a total of 186 language files totaling 12.4 MB that can be deleted in this manner. Plus, delete the .cod files for korean and semitic language support.

(3) Delete the .cod files with any themes (net_rim_theme_...) you don't use. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE ZEN THEME. By deleting the Cingular theme and the dimension icon theme I saved another MB.

(4) Delete the preloaded video, by deleting the .cod file: net_rim_bb_medialoader_video.cod. Savings = 2.4 MB.

(5) Delete the preloaded pictures by deleting the files: net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod. Savings = 3.5 MB.

(6) Delete the preloaded ringtones by deleting the file: net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od. Savings = 280k.

Total memory savings is about 30MB. If you don't use PTT on Cingular, delete those .cod files as well (they say ptt in them). If you don't play brickbreaker delete it. If you don't use the maps application delete it.

Keep in mind, however, that some strange things can happen when certain apps are deleted. For example, I deleted the memo pad and tasks on my 7130 and BBcorrector wouldn't work. It's probably best to follow these steps one at a time, so that you'll know which step to undo if a problem arises. Obviously, by messing with the OS files, you could turn your device into a nice Christmas tree ornament, and I take no responsibility if you do that. In discovering all of these steps, I bricked my device twice. However, I simply undid my previous step (i.e., restore some .cod files) reran the apploader and everything turned out fine.
thanks for sharing this BUT, how in the world do I get to the files on my desktop? I can't find them under RIM, thanks. I want to delete PTT, etc
Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #59
jet66

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
how in the world do I get to the files on my desktop?
Going in through Windows Explorer is the way I use. Here is a screenshot I made of Windows Explorer, opened to the correct Java folder. You need to make sure you are going in to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.2.2.170_P2.5.0.30 directory. The model number and version will be different for your device, of course.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #60
Palm2BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet66 View Post
Going in through Windows Explorer is the way I use. Here is a screenshot I made of Windows Explorer, opened to the correct Java folder. You need to make sure you are going in to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.2.2.170_P2.5.0.30 directory. The model number and version will be different for your device, of course.
fkjr2, I'm with you. On my PC, there's no "Shared" folder in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion." (I'm on Version 4.2 with an 8100 from T-Mobile.)

Could it be located somewhere else?
Closed Thread