Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
eco-friendly415

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon wireless
Default Taking Your Phone with you for Traveling - Japan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys,

I'm sure most Blackberry users are in the business sector and does a lot of traveling.

I'm on verizon's network and would like to take my phone to Japan and use the GPS, SMS, MMS, Browser, etc.

I plan to get the international Web plan for unlimited Browser use.

However, I would still like to use my phone to call to call to the states and for international calls as well. I learned that it's expensive to do so.

I heard of Voxofone and downloaded the app. But has anyone tried using this app in a foreign country?

Good rates? easy to use?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

BB apps for Voxophone (and ALL of the rest like Skype, TruPhone, etc) are dial-around services, which means that while you will use data to make the initial connection, in reality it is simply using the data channel to find a local number for you to dial, which then connects to your calling destination. This works great (and cheaply) if you are in your home country/service area. HOWEVER, if you are roaming (which you will be in Japan on Verizon), you will STILL pay for the roaming call charges (at $$/minute) in addition to any charges for the call. IT IS NOT worth it when roaming. I travel extensively, and the most cost efficient way to make/receive long distance overseas calls is to get a local phone/number.

After that, I would recommend a service such as Skype to call back to your home country. While that would restrict you to making calls from your computer, it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Second, if you still want to receive calls on your US number, do the following: buy a US number in Skype, load it with minutes. Forward your incoming Skype calls to your "LOCAL" Japan number (FYI, you can rent Japan cell phones at the airport). Then, when you arrive in Japan, forward your calls from your Verizon cell to your US Skype number. The result is: a US caller calls your US number, and the call is routed auto-magically to Skype and then immediately to your Japanese number, transparent to the caller. They call your US number, your Japan number rings. If you need to call them, call from your Japan number.

Why do you need the Skype number in the middle? Because your US service provider will (most likely) NOT allow you to forward calls to an overseas number.

That's the basics. A few particulars to refine the process. but that's the gist of it.

We are ALL still waiting on a pure data VOIP capability for ALL BBs, but it's not here yet.

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
eco-friendly415

Carrier: verizon wireless

Thanks for the info.

I notice VZW charges a crack load for using the phone abroad.

I guess I'll have to find other ways!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I doubt if your Verizon device will work in Japan. They use different CDMA frequencies that the US for both CDMA and GSM. There is some limited GSM connectivity in the major cities. Most people I know who travel to Japan regulary just buy a Japanese device to use while they are there, or rent one upon arrival.

I suggest doing a search and see what you find.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Dubdub,

Good point! Had to do a Google search on the 9530 to check and it seems to support the UMTS 2100 band, which is used in Japan for GSM roaming, so it "should" work there.

I know the 9500 GSM version and the Bold have the same 2100 band freq, and I have used the Bold extensively both in Korea and Japan with no issues. Will be in Japan in a few weeks with my GSM Storm, but do not anticipate any problems.

Still cheapest to rent a Japanese phone at the airport if you plan on making lots of calls, as we both mentioned.

Steve

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Last edited by weath; 08-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I doubt if your Verizon device will work in Japan. They use different CDMA frequencies that the US for both CDMA and GSM.
The Storm works fine in Japan. So does the Tour.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
jackperdue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-friendly415 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm sure most Blackberry users are in the business sector and does a lot of traveling.

I'm on verizon's network and would like to take my phone to Japan and use the GPS, SMS, MMS, Browser, etc.

I plan to get the international Web plan for unlimited Browser use.

However, I would still like to use my phone to call to call to the states and for international calls as well. I learned that it's expensive to do so.

I heard of Voxofone and downloaded the app. But has anyone tried using this app in a foreign country?

Good rates? easy to use?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
I was getting ready to travel to Italy earlier this year and went to the Verizon kiosk to learn my options for the Storm. I got an international data plan and turned it off as soon as I got back. I also got a special phone service for I think $60/mo and of course turned that off when I got back. The Storm worked great in Italy especially when I had some issues using my debit card, a quick call to my bank via the BB Storm took care of it quickly.

So the bottomline is ask the local Verizon guys, I've found them very helpful.
Closed Thread