BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Mine...
Carrier: Verizon
Default Replacement Storm Screen Click Issue!

Please Login to Remove!

I recently had to replace my Storm due to dust under the screen. My original was Canadian and my new one is Mexican! I am actually having great luck with the replacement Storm other than the bottom of the screen. With my original device, I did the Torx screw adjustment for the screen and it worked perfectly. I used the biz card trick and the tape trick and the felt pad trick yada, yada, yada... however the Torx screw adjustment was perfect!

On the new device, the bottom of the screen clicks much differently than the top. The bottom is much more firm and harder to press than that top. I proceeded to try all the tricks of the trade with little to no results. I could get the top part of the screen to click perfectly via the Torx screw method, however, nothing I try works for the bottom part of the screen. I spent a couple hours doing Torx adjustments, documenting every move I made as to not lose track of positioning, yet I could not get the bottom part dialed in.

Has anyone else had this issue with only the bottom part of the screen? And, if so, did anything you did work to fix it? The device is functional, I just want the feel and click to be uniform across the entire screen. Let me know your thoughts and if you can point me in the right direction. I do not want to return this one if I do not have to. It feels like Russian Roulette every time one of these devices gets swapped out.

Thanks in advance....
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I am bummed that nobody, so far, has any advice for me, but I am pretty happy at the fact that everyone else's Storm screen is working as it should be!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

I have had two Canadian Storms and both screens worked fine without any of the fixes. The idea of loosening my screen with the torx screwdriver simply did not appeal to me.

Upon retrospection, my warranty swap was probably more of an OS issue rather than a hardware fault. Once I jumped to .99 and then .103 all of my issues with the Storm vanished.

I think the so-called "screen fix" was an issue one or two individuals had that made others think they had the same problem. I've handled several Storms that have not had the screen fix and they all worked fine for me.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Lightmatrix
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9330
PIN: N/A

YES I have the same problem!!! ARGGGHH any help would be great. I've just tweaked the screws...
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
I have had two Canadian Storms and both screens worked fine without any of the fixes. The idea of loosening my screen with the torx screwdriver simply did not appeal to me.

Upon retrospection, my warranty swap was probably more of an OS issue rather than a hardware fault. Once I jumped to .99 and then .103 all of my issues with the Storm vanished.

I think the so-called "screen fix" was an issue one or two individuals had that made others think they had the same problem. I've handled several Storms that have not had the screen fix and they all worked fine for me.
You may be right with the screen fix stuff.... kind of a Placebo effect!

However, it was a really bad issue with my first device when I first got it (2nd day of release). The Torx screw tweak made all the difference in the world on that device. I am sure that the devices shipping now have been assembled a bit better. As I stated, this device is as close to flawless as it gets (OS and hardware wise) except for that annoying bottom half of the screen. The top works great, and even the lower half works fine, but there is an obvious difference in the clicking function of the screen. I have had other Storm and non-Storm owners play with it (without telling them there was an issue) and all of them picked up on it. Maybe it is an actual flaw in this particular device. I sure do not want to send this back as well. We shall see!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

I guess I am lucky. I picked up my first Storm on release day and had no issues with the bottom of the screen. The second Storm functioned the same.

I wish I could understand actually what this problem is because I am actually handling my Storm right now and all areas of the screen "click" and respond the same.

It's definitely a placebo affect for sure. I recall shortly after the Storm's release when people were tweaking the settings and posting suggestions to this forum. People were plugging in these new settings and alleging "dramatic" changes in function, speed, etc. I would sample some of these tweaks and see absolutely no change whatsoever. I've been through several OS upgrades and have experienced no "dramatic" changes in my Storm functions. Subtle pleasant changes for sure.

I am sure there are a few faulty screens, but I have a feeling there are a lot of "lemmings" out there unnecessarily loosening their torx screws.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-19-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

The only way to feel what is happening to actually use the Torx screw fix in sort of the reverse fashion. Loosen just one of the screws and the screen becomes unable to click. It will not push down at all. It is like a fixed screen with no give to it. This is what I am experiencing with the bottom of my screen, obviously not to that extreme though. It is much tighter and does not have the same range of motion as the top part of the screen. BTW, I am not suggesting you do this, but to get the effect that some have had with the screen, this will, without a doubt, give you the answer!

I have had every Beta on my device, as well as the hybrids, and it is for sure not a software issue. I to have tried some of the other settings with the software (tap interval, hover, ans swipe sensitivity), and although it probably makes a difference, I can not find a setting that is noticeably different for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Mercedeesdly

Carrier: VZW

You guys are saying you have mexican and canadian storms...sorry im confused does that mean where they are made? super new to BB so how do I know what mine is? lol
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedeesdly View Post
You guys are saying you have mexican and canadian storms...sorry im confused does that mean where they are made? super new to BB so how do I know what mine is? lol
Yes, it is where it is made. You can look on the box next to bar codes, or, I think, it is under that battery as well....
Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Mercedeesdly

cool thanks!!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

The easiest way to find out - Pull out your battery and look at the sticker on the phone behind it in the lower right corner. It will either say "Made in Mexico" or "Made in Canada"

Verizon 9530
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Mercedeesdly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
The easiest way to find out - Pull out your battery and look at the sticker on the phone behind it in the lower right corner. It will either say "Made in Mexico" or "Made in Canada"
i figured it out haha thanks...im such a newbie lol
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
phombi

PIN: Error !
Carrier: Telus

haaa..
Closed Thread