Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #41
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
I did not say the bold outselling the iPhone did I? I said BlackBerry. and then went on to mention a dozen models.

RIM is about to announce how many subscribers they had, in March it was just over 14 million if i recall correctly, and the growth was over 2.1 million in that quarter. Those are new customers. By years end we will see BB over the 20 million mark worldwide, of that I have no doubt. Also keep in mind that consumers did not purchase BlackBerrys until the Pearl was released in 2004/2005. (again this is being general). Completely different initial markets. 70 countries for Apple, over 130 for RIM, on over 300 networks world wide. Apple will sell a crap load of phones, dont get me wrong, but i do not see them taking the top spot any time soon. they need to branch away from one device offering if they hope to achieve that. Also, virtual BB/BB Connect is being developed for the iPhone, and that is also going to be money in RIM's pockets.

The 9500, when it launches will be exclusive on two networks. Vodafone UK and Verizon. It is reported that they have a goal in the millions of units (between the two companies) to sell that device, otherwise it goes worldwide. That is going to be the competitor to the iPhone, not the 9000.
I agree with you that the touchscreen BB is really the competition but the Bold will still be used to compare numbers.

I really hate to post in this thread as there has been enough thread crapping in here but in reading your numbers it would appear that RIM has already been selling in 80% of the world. If thats true then it makes the 14 million look rather ordinary.
I would then offer that I would think that Apple by this time next year will have surpassed RIM in worldwide purchases. My thinking on that is that they have 25 countries covered in the launch and another 48 by the end of the year. Those towards the end of the year will take it past the calendar year.

My guess would put the RIM numbers in the mid-high 20's, with apple being on top. I have seen analysts saying 40 million for apple but i don't see that unless they get the deal done with China Mobile.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
will likely surpass 10 million users at the end of the year- 1.5 years after the phone's initial release.

That should speak for itself.
It should be noted that Apple's numbers are for device sales not active users (or even activated devices, for that matter). RIMs numbers on customers are generated by the number of active accounts running through their system. There's a huge difference, as Apple's numbers are bloated.

For the record, I currently use an iPhone (as a secondary device to my Curve) and will have an iPhone 3G arriving on my desk on July 11. I'm not opposed to the device, but I really cannot see a comparable matchup when it comes to message composition. When I'm taking the bus in to work, I will use my Curve to read the news. When I'm sitting on my couch connected to my home Wi-Fi network, I will use the iPhone. The difference between typing on the two, though, is the difference between me peck typing when I was 10 years old (iPhone) and how I type now nearing 30 years (Curve)... there's really no competition (unless you're comparing the iPhone to the 88xx series devices, in which case I'd call it a draw).
Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #43
sjohns2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A

I thought this thread was about the Bold being delayed. Isn't there already a post comparing the iPhone to the Bold. Stick to the topic or move your posts.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #44
shivers316
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: Guess
Carrier: T-Mobile

Word on the street, and by street I mean hofo, is that the T-Mo Bold will not have H@H support. I know for a lot of you that doesn't matter but that's a big thing for some of us if it doesn't.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #45
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

That word made no sense. It was posted by an easily excitable poster after he talked to a CSR while changing to a new SIM. Take it with a huge grain of salt, there is no reason H@H wouldnt work with "the wifi chip in the bold".
Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #46
PPCMD

Until RIM actually announces a firm date nothing is delayed until they miss that date. Everyone said the other phone was due out June 9th, nope July 11th but it wasn't late either. The only thing late is the 2.0 software which was stated to be out by the end of June now due out July 11th.

I held off asking any of my corp contacts because its futile, things can and do change quickly. Rim has dozens of models in many, many different countries and selling quickly.

To make one point about these phones is that the iPhone is being purchased by users who will not use it for the "corporate use" that are comparing it to a BB. That said there are people who are using the Pearl & Curve and love the sync ability and other features.

There are lots of BlackBerry's to choose from and only 1 iPhone form factor to choose from with two memory options but its really just one phone.

I am just looking for a launch soon, real soon.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #47
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns2 View Post
I thought this thread was about the Bold being delayed. Isn't there already a post comparing the iPhone to the Bold. Stick to the topic or move your posts.
Yes sir.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #48
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

Are we sure Tmo bold is even coming this year? I mean ... why would a AT&T call it an AT&T exclusive and release it a couple months later to everyone else? Not much of an exclusive is it? I think Tmo people will be disappointed come Sep 25th.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
PIN: 20FA40E8
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #49
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns2 View Post
Some (I wont name names) need to pick a fight all the time....
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #50
BryanHarig

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Are we sure Tmo bold is even coming this year? I mean ... why would a AT&T call it an AT&T exclusive and release it a couple months later to everyone else? Not much of an exclusive is it? I think Tmo people will be disappointed come Sep 25th.
Hasnt AT&T called all their BB launches 'exclusive' lately? It seems they do so regardless of whether T-Mobile picked them up after 60 or 90 days. I remember them calling the Curve and 8800 'exclusives' and we know that other carriers got them after a couple months.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #51
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

typically the exclusivity only lasts 60-90 days folks
Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #52
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Guys

I am on a corporate account. I am going to try and sneek the bold on it (I'm at a remote site). I'm not interested in the iphone because I can't use it.

So can we stay with is the Bold delayed, if I want to know more about the iphone for some unknown reason I'll go to that post.

PS Anyone have any advise on sneeking it on. I can move the sim card, but what will I need to do to get BES to the new phone?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #53
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
Hasnt AT&T called all their BB launches 'exclusive' lately? It seems they do so regardless of whether T-Mobile picked them up after 60 or 90 days. I remember them calling the Curve and 8800 'exclusives' and we know that other carriers got them after a couple months.

Yes you are wright Me too noticed it.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #54
PPCMD

I guess AT&T can call it exclusive since no other US carrier has announced they are carrying it and they would likely continue to do that so long as no other carrier signs on to offer it. If I was T-Mo I wouldn't offer a Bold without 3G, it would be a waste and piss of customers.

So who is on the inside that can provide some proof of it not coming out this summer as originally suggested of course without getting themselves fired.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #55
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

me... lol

Rogers, June 25th
AT&T, End of July/Early August
Old 06-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #56
wawasteele

Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
If I was T-Mo I wouldn't offer a Bold without 3G, it would be a waste and piss of customers.
I am on Tmo and even without 3G, I still want the Bold. The Bold is supposed to have a lot of other features I want with the main two being a faster processor and more memory. Actually, although I would love 3G, it's not at the top of the list.

Wanda
Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #57
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
I'm not sure if any concrete information has come out that T-Mobile would even carry the Bold. It is known they will carry the Kickstart/9100, although it does not carry 3G. Obviously Javelin is being made for some carrier, as well... if the price for the Bold is comparable to the iPhone, I don't see there being a market for the Javelin on AT&T. If I had to guess, I'd say that T-Mobile will likely pick up the Javelin... only time will tell, though. I know they are really hyping up the Android devices that will be launched by the end of the year.

As for AT&T calling all of their BlackBerry releases 'exclusives', it's because they offered up the guaranteed sales numbers to warrant the exclusivity period from RIM, although these periods have only run 60-120 days as opposed to the lifetime exclusive for the iPhone. T-Mobile has the exclusive on the 9100, although it is rumored they skewed the guarantee sales figures in order to get it.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #58
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

why do people fight over phones? haha i mean...is just a phone !
Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #59
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
I guess AT&T can call it exclusive since no other US carrier has announced they are carrying it and they would likely continue to do that so long as no other carrier signs on to offer it. If I was T-Mo I wouldn't offer a Bold without 3G, it would be a waste and piss of customers.

So who is on the inside that can provide some proof of it not coming out this summer as originally suggested of course without getting themselves fired.
3G ? AT&T hardly has 3G in the USA i Live in CT. and belive me the are more acers of land without 3G then with it, thats the reson I don't care of 3G I buy the phone for the rest of it's fitures.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #60
BryanHarig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
I'm not sure if any concrete information has come out that T-Mobile would even carry the Bold. It is known they will carry the Kickstart/9100, although it does not carry 3G. Obviously Javelin is being made for some carrier, as well... if the price for the Bold is comparable to the iPhone, I don't see there being a market for the Javelin on AT&T. If I had to guess, I'd say that T-Mobile will likely pick up the Javelin... only time will tell, though. I know they are really hyping up the Android devices that will be launched by the end of the year.

As for AT&T calling all of their BlackBerry releases 'exclusives', it's because they offered up the guaranteed sales numbers to warrant the exclusivity period from RIM, although these periods have only run 60-120 days as opposed to the lifetime exclusive for the iPhone. T-Mobile has the exclusive on the 9100, although it is rumored they skewed the guarantee sales figures in order to get it.

Dont say that! It is like my worst phone fear of 2008 has been given voice!

I really hope they flip the switch in 10 or 15 more cities over the next few months and release the Bold with 3g as their first 3g smartphone. I would prefer not to move to AT&T, but I am starting to get a little frusterated with the pace of T-Mobile's rollout.
Closed Thread