BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Default LogicMail - POP/IMAP checker! (free, open source, OTA install)

Please Login to Remove!

I made a find tonight that, while still in it's infancy, is a great app if it's something you need. It's a BB-centric J2ME email checker that works with generic IMAP, including SSL support! It took me all of 3 minutes to get it installed and working.

Main page (screenshots at bottom):
LogicMail for BlackBerry

OTA installs:
LogicMail Installation

I have one major email account I don't want pushed to my device (way too much spam, rather check it on-demand as needed) for work. This little applet at least allows me to log into my generic IMAP server over SSL, get all my folders and check for mails and read them. The formatting of an email is pretty good as well.

It's still at a 0.2 stage, no SMTP/sending support yet so it's really only for checking in. But still, it's a whole lot better than using the webmail interface to check mail by a long shot.

Check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised. If you have some BB development chops and spare time, maybe you could lend a line of code or two and make it better. Looking at the SVN repo, it looks like a standard NetBeans project.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
dkonigs

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Since I just posted a new snapshot build, I figured I had to chime in

LogicMail now has its initial SMTP support. Right now, you can compose and send new messages only. (reply and forward are next on the to-do list)

For authentication, I support LOGIN, PLAIN, and CRAM-MD5.
SSL is only supported if you use a dedicated SMTP SSL port (i.e. 465). The more common "connect on port 25 then switch to SSL" is not supported, and never will be, due to J2ME API limitations.

I'm also attempting multiple build profiles with this latest snapshot, in an effort to support BlackBerry OS v4.0 and v4.1 (previously I only supported 4.1, but the only difference is that 4.0 lacks a Base64 encoder/decoder). If this attempt works out, it may even someday allow me to support v4.2 features without breaking backwards compatibility.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
dkonigs

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...
The mail composition screen includes address book support. So, click the trackwheel in an address field, select "Address book", and scroll through all your address book entries with associated E-Mail addresses
Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonigs
Oh, I almost forgot to mention...
The mail composition screen includes address book support. So, click the trackwheel in an address field, select "Address book", and scroll through all your address book entries with associated E-Mail addresses
Thanks for a new release! Much appreciated.

I didn't know about the address book! Very slick -- a small UI issue that I think is what you meant by 4.2 support above; on the Pearl 8100 (and so I'm sure the 8800) clicking the pearlball brings up a menu to a To, CC, BCC but not Address Book. But, if you click the menu key to the left (the same as clicking the trackwheel on 8700 and older?) you then get Address Book in the menu and it works great.

Regardless, thanks again for the new code drop.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
hanyong23

Model: 7290

Hi,
LogicMail works great for retrieving my email over IMAP/SSL.
I'm having some problems with sending email using SMTP/SSL on port 465.
It gives me a prompt "The Connection Requested a Client Certificate for authentication. One Could not be found on the device"

I can see many certificates on my 7290. I have a personal certificate too.
But it just kept prompting me for certificate.. if I continue, I will get "I/O Error"

Appreciate any advice!

BTW I'm not on any BB plan
Thanks
Hanyong
Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Sonnydola

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Logicmail download

I had a problem downloading this program using the OTA link with my Blackberry Pearl. I kept getting the message that the page cannot be found.
Does this program currently support PDF and Tif attachments.

Last edited by Sonnydola; 04-20-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: e-mail notification option enabled.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
ShaneJ

Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Guys,
I have Blackberry Pearl with OS v4.2. I managed to install Logicmail(v4.1) with no problems however when I tried to connect to my imap server it paused and then displayed "I/O Error" and then showed No Folders.
I am wondering if I need to setup my mail folders a certain way or if I have another problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneJ View Post
... I tried to connect to my imap server it paused and then displayed "I/O Error" and then showed No Folders.
Search for the thread on setting up the "APN" for your specific carrier, that should solve your problem.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
ShaneJ

Thanks mate, It now works a treat.

The only problem I have now is when I compose an email, if I enter the address book it says its empty. Anyone know why this is? My address book shows lots of contacts
Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
ShaneJ

Forget that last question. It was because none of my contacts had email addresses set
Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Nachoarg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: Personal Argentina

I have a error message when i try add email account

uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerexception.

any idea about this?

regards
Nacho
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
dkonigs

Default Project updates

I'd just like to mention that I've recently made some major changes to the LogicMail website. Its now a very feature-rich site using Trac, and I also have an automated build process going with CruiseControl.

The new website is here:
LogicMail for BlackBerry - Trac
(the old URL will redirect to it)

This means that keeping a good up-to-date website has become much easier for me, and monitoring project progress is now much easier for you. There's FAQs, debugging information, development information, forums, a ticketing system, and a repository browser. (at this point I've greatly reduced the parts of Sourceforge my project actually uses to a bare minimum)

I've stopped updating the links at the top of this thread in favor of a slightly different approach. The latest-and-greatest code is now available via automated builds of the trunk, and as I reach the various project milestones, I'll be branching off and uploading release builds. I'll try to keep the website up-to-date on everything.

In case you were wondering, the new Trac-based site displays just fine on the BlackBerry web browser
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #13
rivviepop

Yes! I happened to check in last night (and upgrade ) and saw the redesign and was really astounded how well Trac degraded to the BlackBerry web browser, it was very nice. The only problem I had was trying to see/find a concise ChangeLog -- is there a link or path I missed to get that?

Thanks for a new release and all your work!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #14
dkonigs

The best way to get a changelog is to go to the "Timeline" page. From there, you can look at any and all things that have happened. If you're only concerned about code, you can even filter it to just show "Repository checkins".

I know I need to start keeping a real changelog, and did import one into the repository a while back (but haven't been updating it). I'm going to consider that something to do between actual releases now, especially since the goal of 0.3 is finally in sight.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #15
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

I just installed this on a 7130. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to set it up, but it does work.

Is there any way to move messages between folders?

Last edited by dulcamara; 07-11-2007 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
dkonigs

No, there is currently no way to move message between folders. If you refer to the project website, the necessary plumbing to be able to support this isn't planned until the 0.5 milestone. (and right now, I'm trying to finish the 0.3 milestone so I can finally push out some sort of "release")

Also, feel free to pop on the project website, post in the forums there, and even submit feature request tickets if you want to request something you don't see yet.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Ask me ;)
Carrier: fido

i tried it on my blackberry its not bad just a little slow
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
dkonigs

Most of that slowness is because the Internet connection on these mobile devices is dreadfully sluggish. Sure, I can do things to minimize network round-trips and limit the amount of data being transferred, but that only gets you so far. (on the flip side, LogicMail is still *much* faster than the built-in E-Mail program on my old Nokia cellphone, probably because of such optimizations.

The only real solutions to these problems are:
1) Improve the Internet connection on these devices
2) Make most of the network communication asynchronous with respect to user interaction, and heavily cache data.

(and yes, #2 is on my long-term plan)

FYI, the 0.3.0 release is out!
LogicMail for BlackBerry - Trac
Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Ask me ;)
Carrier: fido

well i like so far good job ;)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
teknofile

Model: 8700g

I'm able to view my server folders and send mail, but the weird thing is that I can't see the message list, nor does the sent mail get stored in the "Sent" box. Any workarounds?
Closed Thread