Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
quioxte

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Help please - international BB Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

I've done a few searches but can't find a solid answer to my questions...

I'm looking to buy a BB 8320 with tmobile service. After a lot of research BB seems to have everything that I'm looking for. I've spoken with tmobile customer service a few times but keep getting different answers from them so maybe I'll have better luck here.

Questions:
1. I spend about 50% of my time in Europe and am wondering if anyone has experience with BB service overthere? I know tmobile has pretty wide coverage but can't seem to get an answer as to how much it will cost and/or if it includes unlimited email and web browsing.

2. If using the tmobile uma (wifi - unlimited calling) service, will it work with any free access point in the world or just within the USA?

This forum is great and I have learned a lot of all the experts here. I'm looking forward to participating more. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
markbb99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by quioxte View Post

Questions:
1. I spend about 50% of my time in Europe and am wondering if anyone has experience with BB service overthere? I know tmobile has pretty wide coverage but can't seem to get an answer as to how much it will cost and/or if it includes unlimited email and web browsing.

2. If using the tmobile uma (wifi - unlimited calling) service, will it work with any free access point in the world or just within the USA?
1. With T-Mobile in addition to your Blackberry plan you will need to add the Unlimited International Blackberry Email to your account. This costs $19.99 a month - but you can add and remove it as you want - so if you are away for a week it will only cost you around $5. It officially only includes unlimited email - but in the 15 or so countries (and probably around 45 networks) I've used it on I've never been charged yet for web or other data. However I consider every time a bonus so if I do ever get charged I will consider myself lucky for all the time I've gotten it free.

2. UMA works with pretty much any free access point. If you don't have the Hotspot @Home add-on on your account any calls will come out of your minutes. You don't need to add this feature to make calls over UMA - the $9.99 add on buys you UNLIMITED calls over UMA. You dial as if you were in the US and calls are treated as such so if you were in France and you want to call a French landine you would be charged an international call from the US to France - still cheaper than roaming. Some folks like to either select "Wi-fi only" under network selection to make sure the calls don"t get made over GSM - or just turn off the Mobile Network under the Manage Connections icon.

Hope this helps
Mark

Last edited by markbb99; 04-21-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:

I'm looking to buy a BB 8320 with tmobile service. After a lot of research BB seems to have everything that I'm looking for. I've spoken with tmobile customer service a few times but keep getting different answers from them so maybe I'll have better luck here.

Questions:

This forum is great and I have learned a lot of all the experts here. I'm looking forward to participating more. Thanks in advance.
I've not used UMA, so I'll limit my response to Q1:

T-Mobile BB service is excellent in Europe... assuming you have the BB Intl Plan added ($19.95 monthly). If you go frequently and for long periods, it "may" make sense to simply add it to your BES or BIS BB Plan. You can also simply call cust care the day before you leave, add the BB Intl Plan and then call cust care when you return to the USA and remove it. T-Mobile will pro-rate the $19.95 monthly charge that way but you must remember to call before you leave/after you return. There is no problem doing this, but if you are going/coming 2-3 times per month, probably just easier to add the plan once and forget it. The service is excellent, as long as you're on a carrier with at least GPRS, the emails just flow right in!

Internet use is a bit different as I use it frequently and only rarely if ever; get charged extra. Others have said they've run up some large bills. It probably depends as to which carrier you are roaming on when you are surfing the web. If you're on T-Mobile (they are in many countries in Europe) you likely won't see a charge, I haven't.

/BD

Last edited by bikedogrun; 04-21-2008 at 04:35 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Coverage

Quote:

Questions:

Helpful and its a coverage map of the world. It also tells you which ones are T-Mobile's Roaming partners. Hope this helps you.

GSM World - Roaming
Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: AT&T

If you plan on using UMA in Europe or any other part of the world, you can make calls back to the USA without any international charges (regular minutes will be deducted if you're not subscribed to @home service). BUT, it doesn't work the other way around.

Like stated above, if you're in france and calling a french number, you'll be charged international roaming. (even on UMA)

Here is a link to the official T-Mobile USA international roaming rates. Just choose the country and a price per minute will appear:

T-Mobile.com/International

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Dinan3; 04-21-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
markbb99

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3 View Post
Like stated above, if you're in france and calling a french number, you'll be charged international roaming. (even on UMA)
You won't be charged international roaming while on UMA - but the cost of an international call from the US to France.

Roaming rates would cost you 99c/min - whereas the call from the US to France will "only" cost you 34c/min - and if you use a calling card type service where you call a US number you can bring this cost down to just a few cents to a landline.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
UAV Pilot

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

as a note to question 2...

I exclusively use UMA for worldwide travel. I have never had any problems until recently after our company switched Satillite providers. Now my phone can't figure out its "location" and will not connect with UMA. T-Mobile (and John) says some satillite provider do not provide a fast enough uplink to support UMA. Prior to this I was extremely impressed with the UMA feature, in fact with it and an H@H account I have only used 16 total "cell phone" minutes in the last 6 months. Only advice is be aware UMA is not always an option, it will be dependant on the internet providers system specs.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

[QUOTE=Dinan3;903439]If you plan on using UMA in Europe or any other part of the world, you can make calls back to the USA without any international charges (regular minutes will be deducted if you're not subscribed to @home service). BUT, it doesn't work the other way around.

Actually it does work both ways. Calls to you in Europe, while on UMA, are just taken out of your bucket and you are not charged for in International call.

Last edited by stewsan; 04-23-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
I've not used UMA, so I'll limit my response to Q1:

T-Mobile BB service is excellent in Europe... assuming you have the BB Intl Plan added ($19.95 monthly). If you go frequently and for long periods, it "may" make sense to simply add it to your BES or BIS BB Plan. You can also simply call cust care the day before you leave, add the BB Intl Plan and then call cust care when you return to the USA and remove it. T-Mobile will pro-rate the $19.95 monthly charge that way but you must remember to call before you leave/after you return. There is no problem doing this, but if you are going/coming 2-3 times per month, probably just easier to add the plan once and forget it. The service is excellent, as long as you're on a carrier with at least GPRS, the emails just flow right in!

snip/BD
I turned international roaming off through the website. I'm pretty sure it would turn on that way as well. Let's you do it if you forget to call ahead of time, although over UMA you could just call customer service. Also can save some days of charges.
Closed Thread