Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
untethered
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2438D1AC
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default UMA Error Code J0012.0

Please Login to Remove!

Getting UMA to work has become a personal crusade of mine. Everything was fine for the first couple of weeks I had my 8320. Then for whatever reason wifi & uma went MIA. After extensive reading I have my solid and very reliable Wifi connection back but can not get UMA - not even for a few seconds.

In the Diagnostics, I get error code J0012.0 which according to RIM's website means that "J0012.1 - Failed to connect. Retry. The wireless access point to which the BlackBerry smartphone is connected is not permitted by the UMA service." I would think this means either TMobile doesn't offer it here (impossible since I had it before) or my ISP (Cox) is blocking VoIP?

Several notes:
I reflashed my Linksys WRT54G v6.0 router with the latest firmwear revision from Linksys web site.
I'm running the 4.2.2.184 OS on the Curve
I made sure the TMO USA Engeneering & Operations and Root certificates were there (not deleted from previous restore/upgrade)
MAC on router is disabled
I'm running WPA with Key on my home LAN.
Only other thing connected is my PC wired directly to my router and a laptop that isn't doing anything "active" at the moment.
I've played extensively with Router settings per the other threads on here - so now wifi is solid with good range.
I've done more battery pulls han you can shake a stick at.
Bluetooth or no bluetooth headset - no UMA.

I called my ISP: COX. They refuse to help on their end as they don't support routers not purchased through them nor Wifi / uma enabled devices.

So do I have any choices here? I have not yet upgraded my router to DD-WRT. I'm a little worried I'll brick it... I could also upgrade the OS on the phone to a beta version in hopes they addressed the UMA issues - but I'd rather not venture down that road until it's officially out and fully supported...

Baaaagh! If this weren't so fun because of everything I'm learning, I'd have taken the phone back by now. Cell reception of any kind is quirky where I live so the wifi/uma was a huge factor when I bought it. Everything else is beyone my expectations. I'm this >.< close to resolving this... Suggestions?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

I'd go to another Hotspot and see if you can get UMA at a different location. I've had a problem hooking up with UMA overseas the past few days and was reminded about taking the battery out and restoring default settings in WiFi. This fixed the problem in my case.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, try at a Starbucks. If it works there then you know it's your router/isp. And Stewsan is right, delete all the wifi profiles and reboot the device. You might even try disabling security on the router just to rule that out. Then add the wifi profile back in and see if it connects. Make sure you're close to the router as it makes it easier to connect, the first time.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
untethered

Will do - those are both great suggestions! I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
untethered

Ok - I tried deleting the network profile, battery pull and reacquiring. Still the same.

I then went over to a Starbucks with TMO Hotspot. My Curve recognized the hot spot but refused to give me the wifi icon OR uma. Crazy. Still the same error code: J0012.0 Network Busy. My bluetooth was off. Ponderous. Here's the Diagnostics report FWIW:

Wi-Fi Current Profile:
HotSpot SSID:
tmobile AP MAC Address: 00:16:9D:CE:06:21
Security Type: Open Association:
Successful Authentication: Successful Local IP Address: 10.251.61.229
Signal Level: -88 dBm
Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps
Reason:
Network Type: 802.11b/g
Network Channel: 1
Pairwise Cipher: None
Group Cipher: None
Gateway Address: 10.251.61.225 DHCP: Successful Primary DNS: 66.94.9.120 Secondary DNS: 66.94.25.120 DNS suffix: cust.hotspot.t-mobile.com Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.224 Server Domain Suffix: Certificate: Software Token: VPN Current Profile: Concentrator Address: Contact: N/A Authentication: Error Secure Device IP: Status: Error: Link down. Resolving Concentrator: N/A Concentrator IP: Primary DNS: Secondary DNS: DNS Suffix: Secure Subnet Mask: Retry at: Session Lifetime: Re-login at: Failed Login Attempts: 0 Certificate: Software Token: UMA Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful Connection: Error Error Code: J0012.0 Status: Network Busy. Retry. Reg. UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001 Registration: Trying... Authentication: Trying... Serving UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001 Security Gateway IP: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com Cell Info.: Cell. handover to UMA failures: 0 Cell. rove-in failures: 0 BlackBerry Infrastructure Address Used: //204.187.87.88:443 IP Used: Connecting: Trying... Authenticating router: N/A Authenticating server: N/A Last Contact At: Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What about certificates? Are your certificates still there? Also, e911 address on TMobile.com?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
untethered

The certificates are there and mytmobile shows the correct address etc for e911. Maybe I just need to completely wipe the phone and go back to the orig OS etc. There was a good thread in here oon the steps to correctly wipe etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

Wirelessly posted

Since your Curve recognized the hotspot but couldn't get the wifi icon,is that a hotspot which requires logging in?
What I mean is, if you had your laptop computer with you, could you just turn it on and start using it? Or would you have to "agree etc..."

I've had to use my laptop to get logged in and then I was able to use the curve. I know it's frustrating and maybe a clean wipe is the answer. Another thing I've noticed, if I update some program on the Curve, it seems to mess with the certificates. I've had to do the hard reset several times in order to get it running.

When you do a hard start, and go into wifi diagnostics, are you getting the exact error code everytime?

If you are near a Tmo shop, maybe stop by and see if they will exchange. Or call them and ask for a replacement. Good luck, it's definitely frustrating but you will figure it out..
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
untethered

Just wanted to follow up here - I never did the wipe. Short on time and long on lazy :p The only thing I did was a bettery pull at my office yesterday where there is no wifi when the phone was acting "fritzy." When I got home - bam! UMA. Go figure - after everything I did. It was still there when I left this morning. I'm going to leave it alone for now. I guess the bottom line is UMA/Wifi is still uncharted territory. It's going to be awhile until it works seamlessly. Thanks for all the help guys!
Closed Thread