BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Agr0

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8130 / Verizon woes, any help please?

Please Login to Remove!

I switched from T-Mobile w/ a BB 8100 to Verizon w/ a BB 8130. There are a couple things I've noticed so far that I don't like. Are any of these within my control or maybe something RIM can fix?

1. Whenever I check my voice mail I have to enter my password. This is an issue with Verizon I'm sure, but I just had no idea if there is any way around this. I figure I could modify the number for voice mail and add pauses, then my password, but that is ghetto

2. When I am on the phone with someone and another person calls me, I have two choices: Answer (and it keeps the current call on hold) or No answer. With my T-Mobile 8100, I was able to a) Answer and keep the current call on HOLD. b) Answer and DROP the current call. c) Do not answer the new call. With Verizon if I answer the new call and the previous call doesn't disconnect, then I am getting double billed for time, as they are just sitting out there.

3. And the kicker. When I pair my 8130 with my Jawbone it works fine. If I should leave my phone and walk 30-35 feet away (lets say to go to the bathroom) then walk back a few minutes later, my Jawbone is no longer paired. That is fine, but the problem is that it will not re-connect automatically. I then have to go to the Bluetooth menu and "Connect" to the Jawbone. This sucks. My T-Mobile Pearl would sort of "probe" for the Bluetooth devices and if they are there, then connect. It wouldn't happen every second, but maybe every 30 or 60 seconds, something...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
LancePipes
Thumbs Must Hurt

If those are your biggest issues then it can't be too bad. You must use your phone a shiteload because that stuff wouldn't bother me in the least, although I don't have a "jawbone".
I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon, so I've always had to type in my password. I'm used to it I guess. Is it really that bad? You can usually type them in by feel so you could even do it with little attention, ie driving. Why not just make it 0000 if you don't have a use for it? That can be typed in very easily. I personally enjoy the password feature. If you ever have someone nosy around and they try to check your voicemail, they won't be able to.
I hear you with issue #2. It would suck to be charged extra. I would just be sure to always immediately choose the higher priority call when you see the ID of the caller waiting. Then either abruptly end your call (probably only when very important) or blow it off.
I can't really comment on issue #3 as I don't have a jawbone device. I suppose if I did use one that would piss me off a bit.

I would guess there's no way you're going to get any help with #1 or #2, but maybe with #3. I'm no expert though by any means.

LTP
Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Sprint

#1 is an issue with Verizon. I have Sprint and I can turn that feature on and off. I choose to not have to put in my password. When I press and hold the number one key it goes immediately to my voice mail without a prompt for password.

#2 If I'm on a call with someone and another call comes in I don't use the menus. I press the "end" key. This hangs up the current caller. My phone then rings and I answer the new call. If I press the "send" key while a new call is coming in, it places the first call on hold and answers the second call.

Last edited by Walt; 04-18-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
fmcgirt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

With OS 4.3.0.97 for your question #1, press Send to get into Phone app then Options > Voice Mail and you can change access number and add a password. Then when you press and hold 1 voicemail will be accessed and when you are asked to enter a pw wait and it will be automatically entered for you.

I use my full phone number as the access number since when traveling and roaming on other carriers sometimes *86 does not work.

Frank
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Agr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcgirt View Post
With OS 4.3.0.97 for your question #1, press Send to get into Phone app then Options > Voice Mail and you can change access number and add a password. Then when you press and hold 1 voicemail will be accessed and when you are asked to enter a pw wait and it will be automatically entered for you.

I use my full phone number as the access number since when traveling and roaming on other carriers sometimes *86 does not work.

Frank
I had upgraded to 4.3.0.97 and I went in and found that option you were referring to. That seems to work well. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Agr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
#1 is an issue with Verizon. I have Sprint and I can turn that feature on and off. I choose to not have to put in my password. When I press and hold the number one key it goes immediately to my voice mail without a prompt for password.

#2 If I'm on a call with someone and another call comes in I don't use the menus. I press the "end" key. This hangs up the current caller. My phone then rings and I answer the new call. If I press the "send" key while a new call is coming in, it places the first call on hold and answers the second call.
Very nice about #2. I didn't think that if I hit "end" and kill the first caller, that the second will ring through again.

Really it's amazing that T-Mobile would have released the 8100 1.5yr ago and had that option in their menu when a call comes in. Oh well, moving forward, that's a good plan. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Agr0

The only way the jawbone will re-connect to my 8130 is if I turn the jawbone OFF and then back ON again. Otherwise the Pearl will not automatically detect that it is there and waiting.

Can anyone confirm with any other headset? Simply pair it with your 8130, make sure they connect, then walk away from your Pearl until it disconnects, then walk back. Does it ever reconnect automatically?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
vanman

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon
Talking password with voicemail

if you go to the call log
put cursor on the top line and hit the option key (with the 7 b's on it)
then click on options
then voicemail
it will show
"ACCESS NUMBER:"
your phone number
PASSWORD: put in your password

then save it that should take care of your problem

As for the bluetooth problem..
next time you get that message. before you click on the "yes" scroll down and you will see where you can have it always answer yes for you to connect"
that should take care of that problem too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agr0 View Post
I switched from T-Mobile w/ a BB 8100 to Verizon w/ a BB 8130. There are a couple things I've noticed so far that I don't like. Are any of these within my control or maybe something RIM can fix?

1. Whenever I check my voice mail I have to enter my password. This is an issue with Verizon I'm sure, but I just had no idea if there is any way around this. I figure I could modify the number for voice mail and add pauses, then my password, but that is ghetto

2. When I am on the phone with someone and another person calls me, I have two choices: Answer (and it keeps the current call on hold) or No answer. With my T-Mobile 8100, I was able to a) Answer and keep the current call on HOLD. b) Answer and DROP the current call. c) Do not answer the new call. With Verizon if I answer the new call and the previous call doesn't disconnect, then I am getting double billed for time, as they are just sitting out there.

3. And the kicker. When I pair my 8130 with my Jawbone it works fine. If I should leave my phone and walk 30-35 feet away (lets say to go to the bathroom) then walk back a few minutes later, my Jawbone is no longer paired. That is fine, but the problem is that it will not re-connect automatically. I then have to go to the Bluetooth menu and "Connect" to the Jawbone. This sucks. My T-Mobile Pearl would sort of "probe" for the Bluetooth devices and if they are there, then connect. It wouldn't happen every second, but maybe every 30 or 60 seconds, something...

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Closed Thread