Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammoo
Verizon is CDMA?
Yes, that is correct. The CDMA providers in North America are Verizon, Sprint, Bell Canada, and Telus.

The major GSM providers in North America are Rogers(+Fido), Cingular(+AT&T), and T-Mobile.

The iDEN providers are Nextel and Telus. (Yes, Telus does both CDMA and iDEN)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #22
tammoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

Thanks Mark, you are superb!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I can't get my battery to run down. I got the 7290 two days ago and it was at 40%. I leave the bluetooth on, phone transmitter on, web browser open spent two days testing my pages and emails and this thing is like the eveready rabbit, it just keeps ticket. I was on a call earlier and got dicoe'd, I looked and the battery indicator was red, I turned on the light and it gave me to blue bars. Now it's been running all afternoon.

What do you guys suggest as a super drain mode? At this pace, 3 charges and discharges and the new toys will be out...

Also, does it charge when you hook up the USB cable? I haven't connected it yet cause i've been waiting for a complete discharge.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #24
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

>>Also, does it charge when you hook up the USB cable?

Yep, it does.

>>I was on a call earlier and got dicoe'd, I looked and the battery indicator was red, I turned on the light and it gave me to blue bars. Now it's been running all afternoon.

That sometimes happens if you push the battery very hard very fast. (Simultaneous Bluetooth+Phone call is the fastest way to eat the battery) Then after the battery has nearly drained, it disconnects the call. But then now the battery cools down a bit, the battery bar bounces back. As long as you're not pushing it too hard, the battery bar can sometimes bounce back from 0 battery bars all the way back to 2-3 battery bars after the battery has "cooled down" from a very intensive phone call. But then if you try to press it a second time, it may bounce back to only 1 battery bar next time or just automatically shut off.

You already gave your battery a super drain. But now your battery can no longer handle a super drain for long (it disconnected during a phone call at zero power bars), but you can finish off your battery simply by leaving the backlight always-on such as using the BBLight utility, or just doing emails. Sometimes, a BlackBerry with a battery too weak to be able to do long phone calls reliably, may still be able to squeeze a few more hours of email reception, assuming the battery is cooled off.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-18-2005 at 05:59 PM..
Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #25
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

That's what I figured, thanks for the help...
Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #26
hew2nd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Boost
Default Too late to charge/discharge/charge

I've had my BB a couple of weeks. I charged it the first time for five or six hours but didn't do the charge/dischareg/charge thing. If I did that now would it help? or is it too late to do any good?
Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #27
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Yes. Charge-Discharge is good for all BlackBerries done on an occasional basis. Top-off should be a regular habit, but it's not a good idea to "never discharge" your BlackBerry. It varies from battery to battery, but an occasional full discharge is actually good for the battery.

Most people will end up discharging their BlackBerry occasionally during regular use, to condition the battery, but lithium batteries do not need much conditioning often at all. For me, it happens about once or twice a month just because I forgot my charger or similiar.

There are new lithium technologies that can retain 98% of power even after 1000 full cycles. Within a few years, it will probably no longer really matter if you frequently deep-cycle your lithium battery or just topping it off, or a mix of both.

At the moment, the best is a mix of two, in order to get the best lifetime usage out of the battery. Err on the side of topping it off, with just an occasional full discharge (to auto shutoff) to recondition the battery.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-18-2005 at 10:17 PM..
Old 05-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #28
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

I just got a new 7290 and charged it overnight. I woke up and it was at 85% charged . . . through the last hour it has increased to 95% - weird!

Politicin' 24/7
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
markbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilli01
I have seen a significant reduction in battery life since the BES 4.0 upgrade. It seems like I have to recharge it every 24 hours. Has anyone experienced the same thing?
Me too. I went from 6-7 days on a charge to 48 hours max. I thought it was just me, but my boss confirms he has noticed the same as well since our company upgraded the BES. I have a 7230 (tmo) and he has a 7280 (att).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
With BES 4 and OS 4, the phone can do wireless syncs. That will take a lot of juice.
I have always done wireless syncs, even before the BES was upgraded, so I don't think that's the issue itself. (And I've had OS 4.0 for a long time now.) Or, by "wireless syncs", do you mean something else besides downloading email, calendars, notes, etc using the GPRS connection?

My speakers at home pick up some interference from the GPRS radio, and I've noticed it is a lot more frequent lately. Could BES 4.0 be sending/receiving more data or communicating much more frequently? Is there anything that I can have our admins configure on the BES to change this?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #30
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

I recently got moved from a 7510 to 7520. What an improvement in battery life - I get 2 full days (sometimes an extra half day) versus less than a full day.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #31
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin
I recently got moved from a 7510 to 7520. What an improvement in battery life - I get 2 full days (sometimes an extra half day) versus less than a full day.
Wow. First time I've heard something positive about the battery life of a Nextel.

The most I've ever seen is 1.5 days, and that's w/ no phone calls, no DC... and perhaps 200 emails (the primary use of my Blackberry.) The shortest I've ever seen was 8 hrs.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #32
Jasper2k

Model: NEW
Default What about the magnet / screen sleep mode?

Mark - I continue to be amazed by the wealth of helpful information you share will all of us. Thank you!

One thing I didn't see in the FAQ or replies (unless I missed it)... what about holstering the BB or using cases that have "the magnet?" I only learned about this trick from a friend who wondered why I *never* holstered my new 7520 - he asked if it was killing my battery life, and then explained that the RIM cases and good aftermarkets have a magnet to sleep the screen.

Should we add that one?

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #33
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

when I was on vacation last week my bb went four days with out a charge granted I had turned my work email off but ramble was left on the whole week and lots of bb messages
Old 10-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #34
JohnDC

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Verizon

Any more experiences with this anyone??

The methods listed in Mark's technotes seem to work well..

After reading the below I had questions and was wondering if others had good experience with the Mark suggested methods.

The below seems to couter it a bit, but, BB & device specific in some ways it seems would be more applicable, than Lithium Ion in general, and for laptops as mentioned several times.

Thank you,
jc

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #35
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDC
Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.
This doesn't counter my post at all.

My post is just worded in a way that occasional full discharge is okay, but frequent full discharge is not a good idea. It's fully compatible with this, and this is another way of saying it - it says nothing about occasional full discharges.

Avoiding full discharges completely is also a bad idea; lithium batteries do perform their best when they are "occasionally fully discharged", best if done slowly to avoid overheating the battery. Heat is less of an issue with BlackBerries since they use a lot less power than a laptop; and lithium batteries are more easily worn down by high heat like when playing 3D games until the laptop suddenly dies with a heated-up battery. Full discharges on a BlackBerry won't do as much wear-and-tear as a BlackBerry doesn't heat up nearly as much in normal usage.

Cycles are typically cumilative. Four 25% charging cycles is roughly equal to one 100% charging cycle. (More or less - unless the act of going to 100% overheats the battery, then it'll do more damage). So nobody needs to feel guilty about "topping off" their lithium-ion battery.

During ongoing use, just do partial discharges more often than a full discharge and the battery, and you'll be OK.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 10-02-2005 at 03:59 PM..
Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #36
Lio

Model: 7290
Default 7290 not as good as 7280?

I used a 7280 with ATT as the provider for over a year with great battery life (recharged on average every 3 days). Two months ago a switched to T-Mobile and a 7290 and battery life is awful (most times I have to recharge twice a day). Voice, SMS and email traffic has not changed. I have used two different new batteries (used on the 7280 before) so I can say that it is not a battery problem. I keep Bluetooth off since I don't use it. I know T-Mobile does not have as good a coverage as ATT/Cingular and there may be greater "search" time. Any suggestions? Do I need to preset something to be more efficient? like a different Message Service etc.? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #37
rhr

Carrier: AT&T

my old blackberry 7290 is gone becuase my work I.T. have problem Cingular's and quit it, another Verizon, replace 7250 now... I am not feeling fast low battery. I delete BBToday, BBWeather, GMapviewer. I keep IP-Replay, BBM and VErichat, I turn on power at 6am, I saw 1% left at 5pm. I test i turn off Verichat, start 5:30am, and I saw 100% at 3:10pm now, weird! problem Verichat?

RHR
Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #38
rcb3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 2AC73F40
Carrier: T-Moblie-since2001

mark i've got 7230. in the last few days it has started to give me some problems. it reboots by itself for no reason. the battery indicator shows 80-90% full. i charge it daily at work on my desk and at home by my bed - i use as an alarm clock. i was just wondering if maybe the battery is not telling me the true or is going faulty. i bought it used on ebay a year ago and this is the same battery.
as i have stated elsewhere in the fourms my wife thinks i love my bb more than her. i don't know about that so much but what i do know is that until this started i really had no problems or disageements with my bb. it is with me 24/7. i love my wife but i would be lost without my blackberry.
thanks for any help you can give
Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #39
Devojr

Model: 7250

rcb3 - my Verizon 7250 did the same thing about two weeks ago (kept rebooting) however, it hasn't done it since. I was wondering if it was system issue.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #40
rhr

Carrier: AT&T

I don't understand my 9250 fast low battery
I test

(All) Standard OS, BB Messenger,AvaantGo, Berry411, MidpSSH, MGMMaps, GMapViewer, IP-Relay = 6am to 5pm = 100% !!!

(All) + BBToday + BBWeather + Verichat (no chat yet) = 6am to 3pm 0%
(All) + BBToday only 6am to 7pm, I saw 2% left
(All) + Rambile (no chat yet) is on, 6am to 5pm = 20% left
(All) + Verichat (no chat yet) is on, 6am to 5pm = 40% left

I don't understand about 7250, but I like 7290 long battery

RHR
Closed Thread