BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
RZMedia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Email Speed - Cingular vs T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Was with a friend this weekend who has the 8700 on T-Mobile (mine is on Cingular) and I was amazed by how fast his emails came through. I sent him a test email from my blackberry and within 5 seconds, it was on his blackberry. When he sent me an email however, it took about 2-3 minutes for mine to arrive.

Is there any fix to that??

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

It depends on the email provider you are using, and the setup you have. The best way to get instant delivery of email is to forward your existing email accounts directly to your BB email address (ending in @mycinguar.blackberry.net). To get instant delivery of spam-free email, forward your existing accounts to a Gmail account, filter out all spam and unwanted emails, then in the filter settings forward the remaining email to your BB email. Then you get spam free email in about 2-5 seconds.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
RZMedia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
It depends on the email provider you are using, and the setup you have. The best way to get instant delivery of email is to forward your existing email accounts directly to your BB email address (ending in @mycinguar.blackberry.net). To get instant delivery of spam-free email, forward your existing accounts to a Gmail account, filter out all spam and unwanted emails, then in the filter settings forward the remaining email to your BB email. Then you get spam free email in about 2-5 seconds.

My email is hosted on a company server. An X-Serve to be specific. Do you know if there is a way to have it forwarded (or cc'd) from the server? I know if i did it through Entourage, i would need to leave the program open and running 24/7, which i prefer not to do for security reasons.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZMedia
My email is hosted on a company server. An X-Serve to be specific. Do you know if there is a way to have it forwarded (or cc'd) from the server? I know if i did it through Entourage, i would need to leave the program open and running 24/7, which i prefer not to do for security reasons.
If your mail is on an Xserve, you'll have to either

1) Create a .forward file on the server to have mail go to both your local account on the server and to blackberry.net.

2) Have your server admin do #1, or the equivalent, depending on which mail server and delivery agents your Xserve is running.

But in either case, your admin should know how to do what you're asking. No need to keep your computer on 24/7, which is silly. I'm not sure what security risks there are leaving Entourage on all the time (you can lock the computer so one else can login), but I'd be more paranoid about having mail residing on RIM servers in (for me) a foreign country, unencrypted, without a clear idea about what gets done with the data. If you have Exchange/Notes/GroupWise, you can keep all of that encrypted between the handheld and the mail server.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If getting your email a couiple seconds faster makes a difference, I guess it is important. IMHO, nothing is THAT important IMHO.
Closed Thread