erunyon.apc

Model: 7100I
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Smile Change Com Port for USB

Please Login to Remove!

All~

I am new to the form. Hello to all.

When installing the Desktop Manager for my BB 7100i it defaults the USB Port to Com 3. I have other software that runs using COM 3 and will not run while the Desktop Manager is installed. I have tried to manually change the com port under modems and that still does not work. How can I change the port setting so com 3 is not used by the bb?

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Select USB port. "COM" ports are serial ports and should have no affect at all on your BB connection, provided DM is using USB and NOT a Com port.

The Com port you see in the modem section is a virtual Com port, as the BB is not a serial-connected device. And this modem setting should only come into play if you use your BB as a tethered modem. The modem setting has nothing to do with how your BB connects to DM otherwise.

Check the connection settings from within DM and be sure that is set to USB.

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 09-02-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
erunyon.apc

Model: 7100I
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel

I am using a USB Cable and selecting the USB option when installing. When I go to use my other software it states that COM3 is being used by another application. The only difference is the BB Desktop Manager software.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Well if you are able to communicate with your BB from DM using USB then DM is not the culprit. Your IP modem that gets installed as part of the driver loading process may still be an issue however.

You can try disabling the modem and see if that helps... it may require a reboot to release the Com port though.

Bring up the modem properties, and you should be able to select (disabled) under the device usage section on the general tab.
Closed Thread