Old 09-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry T-Mobile $29.99 BIS Plan - Voice Barred

Please Login to Remove!

So I signed up for the $29.99 plan with no free minutes but domestic minutes available for $0.20/min about a month ago. I got my number ported and that took a few weeks, but it is finally done. So today I go to set up my voice mailbox, and there is no voice mailbox to set up. I can make and receive calls, but any calls I receive will rollover to a voice mailbox that does not exist if I don't answer in time.

I call T-Mobile and the T-Mobile rep says I'm on a "voice barred" data plan and I'll have to switch plans (to the same thing but without "voice barred") to get a voice mailbox. The kicker is that T-Mobile has since increased their prices for BIS only to $39.99 so I'd have to pay an extra $10 a month for the privileged of being on the plan they advertised and the one I wanted to be on in the first place. They weren't budging on that.

I got no idea if the T-Mo rep at the company store accidentally selected a voice barred version of the BIS plan or if they changed it when they implemented their price increases, but the first I've seen that phrase is today and I had no idea the other plan even existed since it was not advertised.

What I'm wondering is

1) What happens to any calls I make or receive if I'm on a plan that isn't supposed to allow calls? Do I get billed 20c per minute? Not at all? Something else? How long should it take for them to show up on the minutes used area on the site?

2) Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I think this was set up correctly. Their price for BIS only connections was $29.99, with no minutes and it just recently increased. So I believe the T-Mobile rep set up the account properly. If you don't chose a voice plan, then that is the only other option (the former $29.99 plan). So I guess there is nothing to fix. So you will get billed for all calls.

I would go with their Individual Basic Plan (300 Whenever minutes and unlimited weekends) for $29.99. Then the unlimited BIS plan will fall to $19.99.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Their price for BIS only connections was $29.99, with no minutes and it just recently increased.
Looks like they screwed up. I looked at the paperwork says BB Unlimited BIS VB. The VB is for voice barred... not that I had any way to know that at the time. The point of that particular plan is to prohibit your employees from making calls on their blackberry at 20c a minute and running up your bill. I very much wanted the ability to pay 20c a minute for phone calls. If I had ordered it on the website instead of going to a T-Mobile store, that's what I would have ended up with. The guy picked the wrong option when I signed up so now I get to pay for it. Bummer.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Oh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, things like that are hard because he probably just misunderstood, but I don't think there is a way to change it without either canceling the contract with the ETF, or moving up to the $39.99 option.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

stay in touch with Care, lay into the fact there was an issue with the Port and it's possible that in this confusion Activations incorrectly selected the VB plan. the rate plan changes are recent, and due to the slow port you can't make the "simple fix" of correcting the rate plan now.

play a little bit ignorant, but sound sincere in your efforts to have the voice available for emergencies and extraordinary situations. your plan can be retro-dated to date-of-activation, but you may need to escalate once or twice to reach a supe or lead with the correct access.

most important, remain calm and polite, but express your dissatisfaction at this inconvenience.
Closed Thread