BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #81
ospot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen two reboots in the last 24 hours.
Not a big fan of the portrait full keyboard as it is right now, couldn't type on it at all.
Did run into the problem with the device not saving pictures. Not a biggy for me, rarely use the camera.
Overall, .90 is pretty solid, looks like they are getting closer to a very good release. Let's hope.

One other thing I just noticed. Sometimes the red star on my messages icon does not show up when new messages come in. Doesn't happen all the time but I did notice it.

Last edited by ospot; 01-23-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #82
zduchene
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

has anyone noticed that while on a call if you try to bring up the number pad a bunch of weird characters come up instead?

I am having this issue so far. The only other one was when I tried to watch a video it rebooted on me...bummer.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #83
Lumberman

Model: Z10
Carrier: Telus

Sorry for the lurking, not much of a chatter but here are my impressions so far.

-first beta I have installed, process is simple. search forums for install beta and read the post called Blackberry OS (and "Beta" OS) myths dispelled. Do not be afraid its not that hard.

-accelerometer changes faster (would still like to see it selectable either way for calls)
-apps appear to switch faster
-camera works sometimes with the touch screen shutter release, other times it doesn't. Works every time so far using the side button as a shutter release.
-fonts on keys do appear larger/bolder

-phone has crashed once entering options in phone application. screen would not accept inputs nor would back or menu key, but could turn the phone off (not reset) using the power button. when turned back on OS indicated "Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_phone_app (56) is not responding; process is terminated

-vertical mode qwerty is cool but I personally prefer suretype for vertical so I can one hand messages under the table during meetings (two hands under the table looks a little suspicious).

-edit- I have also noticed that sometimes the red "star" indicator does not appear when new messages arrive.

Chris

Last edited by Lumberman; 01-23-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #84
peckahead

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhirtzel View Post
I can't get Desktop Manager to update my 9500 with the .87 or .90 that has come out. My 9500 is on the .78 revision, and when I go to update software, it says there are no updates available. But when I go to Help, About Desktop Manager, it shows both the .87 and the .90 in my installed Blackberry Device Software.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Mel
FWIW I had to delete the Vendor.XML file in order to upgrade mine. I know some didn't, but I did.

EDIT:

My phone randomly powered off at some point this morning. Just looked at it and it was off. Very disappointed. Battery Pull seems to have fixed it, so we'll see what happens over the next day or so though.

Last edited by peckahead; 01-23-2009 at 12:13 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #85
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Thumbs down

I posted a previous concern over .90 now I found 1 additional problem. Previously I noted that this update does not fix the "media card inserted" message on re-boot that then leads to the verizon wireless logo that does not go away. Unless you pull the batter again (and sometimes again, and again). I have started pulling the media card with the battery then once the device is back up and running, re-inserting the media card. Just faster than booting again and again, sometimes. This is one issue that really needs to be addressed.

I have also noticed that yes the camera is much faster, however it is not saving the pictures anywhere that I have found. Checked options for the camera and it says saving pictures to the media card. But they are not there.

Might downgrade from .90
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #86
peckahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
I posted a previous concern over .90 now I found 1 additional problem. Previously I noted that this update does not fix the "media card inserted" message on re-boot that then leads to the verizon wireless logo that does not go away. Unless you pull the batter again (and sometimes again, and again). I have started pulling the media card with the battery then once the device is back up and running, re-inserting the media card. Just faster than booting again and again, sometimes. This is one issue that really needs to be addressed.

I have also noticed that yes the camera is much faster, however it is not saving the pictures anywhere that I have found. Checked options for the camera and it says saving pictures to the media card. But they are not there.

Might downgrade from .90
I haven't had any issue with the error message you are getting.

Mine is set to save to the memory card as well, and it does.

Do you think this could be an issue with the Media Card, especially since you have been getting the message in previous builds as well?

EDIT:

Perhaps a formatting of the media card would fix the issue?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #87
SCODonnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: the_tail_on_the_donkey
Carrier: Sprint

My two cents...

I had a few -- what appeared to be random -- reboots since updating to .90. It appears now to be related to sound notifications. The first reboot happened when a calendar reminder alert went off. The second reboot happened while I was listening to music: at the end of one song and beginning of the next.

Aside from the reboots, all of my emails came into the general "messages" inbox as usual, but none showed up in my personal email (I'm on BES, so I'm used to seeing both personal and corporate email in the messages folder -- but even the personal emails only showed up in the messages folder, not in the icon I have setup for my hotmail email.

While I must agree, it is a quicker feeling OS, I miss the smooth screen transitions (fading from one screen to the next). I, too, cannot consistently use the portrait QWERTY keypad -- I guess my thumbs are too big.

I resorted to reverting back to my previous OS -- .85.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #88
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have mostly good things to say about .90. upgraded yesterday from .86 and am overall pleased.

the good:
- MUCH faster camera (even with highest resolution, image stabilization and geotagging enabled)
- faster accelerometer
- portrait mode QWERTY (i always use landscape but tried this new feature for the heck of it and was surprised at how accurate it seemed for being so narrow)

the bad:
- i have only experienced 1 or 2 random reboots with previous betas, and i have run all of them as soon as they have become available), but i just had 2 back-to-back reboots today. phone was sitting on my desk at work, and a white screen caught my eye... i looked over and saw it rebooting... about a minute after it finished booting and returned to the screen, it rebooted again. i sure hope this doesn't continue
- locking and unlocking seems much slower. furthermore, i locked my phone yesterday and when i tried to unlock it, it froze for a minute or so and then displayed a garbled screen which forced me to do a battery pull.

I'll probably stay on .90 unless the random reboots get worse... I've only seen the media card inserted message once so far, so that has been less frequent than i was seeing it with past betas.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #89
Lumberman

Model: Z10
Carrier: Telus

now it seems I have lost the ability to put the device into vibrate only by holding down the mute key.

apologies if that was lost between .76 and .90 and i am restating.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #90
peckahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberman View Post
now it seems I have lost the ability to put the device into vibrate only by holding down the mute key.

apologies if that was lost between .76 and .90 and i am restating.
I was having the same issues yesterday. A battery pull fixed it for me and I am able to now.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #91
zduchene

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Overall a good release but it still needs some work..
Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #92
camaro322hp

Model: 9100
Carrier: AT&T

Still having A2DP issues with this OS. After each song ends, it disconnects from my car stereo, then reconnects a few seconds into the next song. This behaviour has been the same for me in .85, .86, and now .90.

99 Z28 M6 black
04 GSX-R750 blue/white
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #93
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

grrr... just an update to my reboot problem... it has rebooted 2 more times since lunch... to make a total of 4 reboots without me ever touching the phone. I may try wiping and loading .90 to see if that's any better... i did a wipe before .86 so i figured i'd load .90 without wiping. can't see why that would make a difference, but who knows...

anyone else having big time reboot issues?

hmm, i was just thinking...each time it reboots, when it gets back to the main screen, todoMatrix (which I just purchased) pops up an alert, which I have been delaying with the quick select screen all day... I wonder if the reboots are happening when the reminder pops up. I just delayed for 15 mins so I'll see if it restarts then....

Last edited by ronx; 01-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #94
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

well, after 2 more random reboots (making 6 today), i'm uninstalling todoMatrix to see if that makes a difference... actually, i might reinstall it and just make sure i don't have any reminders set.

has anyone else been able to find any correlation between the reboots and specific events? I know SCODonnell mentioned he thinks it's related to sound events, and that fits with what I've noticed (todoMatrix reminders), so maybe that's it.... i do rely pretty heavily on these reminders though, so I may have to go back to .86... .90 seems fantastic otherwise, so i'm going to try to find any way to work around this issue, heh.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #95
ospot

Model: 9630
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

After many reboots and now some freezes, I have backed down to .76. I'll wait until the next beta.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #96
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

Massive memory leaks for me now. 15MB to 18MB every 4 to 6 hours. I am sure it is an App issue (most likely Viigo) but I will deal for now. Besides, if it is Viigo, I love the App to much to remove it! Other Apps that I have installed are as follows:

Viigo
AP News
WSJ
CNN
USA Today
ESPN
BBWeather
Beyond 411
Google Sync
BGR
QuickText
Facebook
Yahoo Messenger (can't wait for Beejive)

Yes, I close/exit out of all of them when I am done using them. If anything lese comes up I will post it....
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #97
dunnmuroco

Model: Storm

Here's something else I noticed. When sending email with the phone in portrait I have the suretype keyboard coming up, however, when I'm using the browser in portrait the keyboard is come up as the phone keypad. I can't get the browser to use the suretype keyboard.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #98
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I went back to .85, tired of the freeze ups.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #99
d-m-k

It has been working well for me for about 10 hours. Then, it crashed with a REST message out of the blue. I was not even using it. I picked it up to check for mail (I am well trained) and I saw the message.

So far, other than the above, it has performed better than the other beta (.86) that I tried.

--- EDITED 1/25/09 ---

I had 3 resets yesterday. Not fun. It's still very responsive. So far, I cannot think of rolling back. The other releases (official or beta) were just too slooooowwww.
BB 8310 Curve, BB 8820, BB 8700c
Treo 650, Treo 600

Last edited by d-m-k; 01-25-2009 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: New Information
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #100
iJohn

Model: 8100
Carrier: SMART

thank you for sharing this firmware

downloading now....
Closed Thread