vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou1970 View Post
Just a heads up bbweather .84 now avaliable
Thanks - I just downloaded and tried it.

Still my favorite, but still a bit quirky:

Font settings help a bit, but:
-- why make them relative to device font, instead of explicit setting?
-- despite setting to smallest possible size, the screen layout simply doesn't work: when I move up and down over the screen, the text winds up shifting left and right. I suspect the screen layout will have to be changed to make this perfect.

Wondering why, if it's set to run as a background app, I see "Retrieving weather, please wait..." virtually every time I click the icon? (even though it appears to be updating in the background every 1/2 hour)

When this was first put online, the full source was also available, and I believe it was released as an open source project (?). Is that still the case with the current version? If so, with a few of us contributing, we might be able to evolve the project that much faster...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #42
moskatl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T
Default Weather Bug

Is Weather Bug a paid service? Can someone list the OTA for the most current version of BB Weather? Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #43
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
-- why make them relative to device font, instead of explicit setting?
I don't know. That's the way the original developer created it 4 or so years ago and I never felt like redesigning it because it has always fit (without shifting left and right) on my 7200, 8703e and now Bold. I added the font size option to the latest version and in the tests I have run in the simulator on Pearl, Bold and Storm I can set it small enough so there is no scrolling. Admittedly, I haven't tried the Javelin.

Quote:
Wondering why, if it's set to run as a background app, I see "Retrieving weather, please wait..." virtually every time I click the icon? (even though it appears to be updating in the background every 1/2 hour)
It's not running as a background app, unless you leave it open and can see it on your Ribbon. The "Enable HomeScreen Update" option causes it to run as a scheduled app, meaning that it starts, downloads weather, updates the homescreen icon and exits. I've toyed with the idea of creating a datastore for the weather info that was saved when the program exited, so that you could open and close the program multiple times and it would pull from the datastore if the timestamp was within a certain range (30 minutes or so). Again, I just haven't been motivated enough to do so.

Quote:
When this was first put online, the full source was also available, and I believe it was released as an open source project (?). Is that still the case with the current version? If so, with a few of us contributing, we might be able to evolve the project that much faster...
It is, but I'm lazy. The original source code before any of my modifications is available somewhere on Sourceforge. The latest source I have made available is for v0.77. I've been meaning to put up the source for v0.83 but just haven't gotten to it. If there's interest, I could probably get it up tonight, sometime. The alpha v0.84 stuff is unlikely to be made available because I am not working on a CVS or SVN system.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #44
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

ASP.NET Resources - Determine location ID for the weather server control
here's a location id tool if you don't know the zip code
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #45
OstrichSak
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumsGum View Post
go to the options and set "activate on startup"
Read my post again. It is checked. When you power the phone off and then back on it says NA for 30min until it updates again. Has to be a bug in the program.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #46
OstrichSak
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou1970 View Post
Just a heads up bbweather .84 now avaliable
Hopefully it fixes the startup bug we're talking about.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #47
beta99

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulukia
I prefer WeatherEye.
I'll second that.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #48
Deadmau5
Thumbs Must Hurt