BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #21
kelberry

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Please Login to Remove!

Well, third time was not a charm. I really can't imagine what i am doing wrong! The 3rd 8900 has now locked up while the screen is still visible and has gone to black several times, both only to be corrected with a battery pull. So,needless to say, I give up! Any reccomendations or comments on the bold in comparison to the 8900, my main concern is the flush keys on the bold keyboard. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
matthiasj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2164B714
Carrier: AT&T

My 8900 still does it and my friend has the same phone and HIS DOES IT TOO! Are we the only ones? This is a serious issue as far as I'm concerned. I love this phone and waited almost a year for it and now it's not working right.

I can't replicate it when I try. It only does it randomly when you sit it down or it also happens when it's in my friend's pocket.

What happens is you sit it down and randomly the phone will go black, and the LED will be solid red for a few seconds then nothing. After that nothing will bring the phone back except a battery pull. I can go a couple days without it happening usually.

Blackberry Leaks
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

do you have a memory card in your 8900? and was it in all 3?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #24
matthiasj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
do you have a memory card in your 8900? and was it in all 3?
I have memory card in mine and it does it. My friend has no memory card and his does it also.

Blackberry Leaks
Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

sorry that was meant for kelberry.
with kelberry having 3 devices that do it, it would point to something added such a media card or app.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
matthiasj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
with kelberry having 3 devices that do it, it would point to something added such a media card or app.
I see what you're saying but it seems like a hardware issue not a software issue. There has to be more that experience this problem.

There is a slight "rattle" if you tap the back of the phone at the top left. I guess that's probably the vibrator but anyone who has an 8900 knows the batteries are VERY snug and there is no change that the battery is coming loose (especially without dropping it real hard).

Like I stated above it is very sporadic and I cannot bump it or sit it down in the right way to make it shut down.

I don't want to send it back because I just got my BSE screen cover on

Blackberry Leaks
Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #27
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

the media card thing would be a hardware issue.
In kelberry's case, getting 3 bad devices one after the other seems improbable.

But i dont know.
It does seem a strange issue.
if it was one or two, id say bad batch.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthiasj View Post
I have memory card in mine and it does it. My friend has no memory card and his does it also.
in which case, are there any apps in common (besides the standard ones that come with the OS) on both devices?

where i agree its sounds hardware related, software is the easiest thing to rule out first.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #29
kelberry

Carrier: att

Quote:
I have tried all 3 phones, with memory card and without, thinking maybe it was a format issue, but all 3 have shut down and locked up now with the memory card and without. I did manage to go almost 24 hours without it shutting down and having to do a battery pull, but it just happened again. I guess I'm destined for a bold!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #30
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

Pretty strange. I can't imagine how many thousands of T-Mobile customers have been using the 8900 since it was released, and I never heard of this issue before your report of it. I wonder if it's a build issue with a batch that you and your friends all received phones from. Other than that, I can't imagine what the issue might be...but with all the 8900's that are working so well in the field, I can't see how it's a general design flaw. Must be *something* common to the three failed units you've tried.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #31
matthiasj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Pretty strange. I can't imagine how many thousands of T-Mobile customers have been using the 8900 since it was released, and I never heard of this issue before your report of it. I wonder if it's a build issue with a batch that you and your friends all received phones from. Other than that, I can't imagine what the issue might be...but with all the 8900's that are working so well in the field, I can't see how it's a general design flaw. Must be *something* common to the three failed units you've tried.
Myself, Kelberry, and another one of my friends all have the same issue. The only things we have in common are we all have AT&T 8900's and live in KY.

On a side note mine has been fine for the last couple days *knock on wood

Blackberry Leaks
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #32
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthiasj View Post
Myself, Kelberry, and another one of my friends all have the same issue. The only things we have in common are we all have AT&T 8900's and live in KY.

On a side note mine has been fine for the last couple days *knock on wood
Bizarre... I hope your new luck continues to hold out. I've had my 8900 since the 2nd day they were available in T-Mobile retail stores, and it's the best mobile device I've owned (and I've owned MANY over the last 17 years, including several blackberry's).

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #33
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberry View Post
I just got my first blackberry, the 8900 and it did the same thing! I took it back, got a new one and it does it too! I thought it was just me being a new user. I talked with several experience blackberry uses and none of them had any suggestions. If anyone can help us, please, I love the phone and don't want to pick a new model!!
I had a similar issue but it wasn't that the BB was shutting down, it stops responding to any keys until I do a reset by pulling the battery, my issue was resolved by me downloading the rogers built of the handheld code rather than using the one posting in this thread at the top, they are both same versions but my issue got resolved.