Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #21
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

I could care less for 3g just at least be out by april next year when I can upgrade

http://www.blackberryfaq.com
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHDD View Post
Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about. The Jav has more usable mem for apps than the Bold, which has more than the Curve. Has better screen resolution than the Bold, which is Also better than the Curve. It has more memory overall than the Curve. It has a better camera than the Bold and the Curve. It is using a higher OS than the Bold and the Curve. There are some others but I'm not saying them since, well, you know, it's only a Curve with a new dress and hairdo.
Actually, I do have an idea about what I am talking about, and you should refrain from drawing conclusions about what one knows or doesn't. In any case, I agree that the specs of the Javelin are impressive, and if I were still carrying an 8700, I would most definitely upgrade. What I fail to see is why I would upgrade from a Curve. I haven't run out of memory on my Curve. If I want great pictures, I use my camera, not my cell phone. I am not watching movies on my cell phone, so I don't care about the screen resolution. And, if I am that lost that I need my cell phone to guide me back to civilization, then I have far bigger issues. If any of those things were issues, I would upgrade. But for me, they aren't.

What I WOULD like is faster browsing and the ability to get emails while on the phone. That is what 3G does. With T-Mo rolling out 3G in October, and this Javelin being released around, on or after that date (this I don't know), I still fail to see why I would upgrade to a 2.5G device when I have a perfectly good 2.5G device in my Curve. Still lipstick on a pig to me....

Last edited by sjsilverman; 08-24-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #23
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

I tried a Bold for the first time yesterday in an Orange store.

My first impression was that it had a great screen. And that's it.

The keypad was similar to the 8800, which I'd disliked, and it was noticeably bigger, heavier and, yes, clunkier than the Curve.

As for 3G, patchy coverage and shorter battery life cool any lingering passion to view YouTube on the bus (it's more fun watching my fellow passenger's iPhone freeze) and reminds me of what BBs do best.

If Javelin turns out to be old wine in a new bottle, well the old wine tasted great anyway.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #24
Keebler

Carrier: TMO

I myself cannot wait for the Javelin. It will be right around contract time for me( we did an early renew for the wife as she washed her phone....don't ask). I am so looking forward to this release.
I too do not care about the 3G as all I really use it for is Sports scores and maybe once in a while tethering while in the car(wife).
Old 08-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
techluvr1234

Model: none

That 3.2 MP camera would be enough for me!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #26
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
and you forgot, better specs then the curve....which is reason for me to upgrade.
Only 3 upgrades:
processor, camera and screen.
Nothing else is new.

Bold on the other hand:
Onboard memory, processor, 3g, bigger screen, higher resolution screen, revamped keyboard (I think?) Sexy design.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

I would love to hold a Bold and a Javelin to do a side-by-side comparison. The design and form would be sure to figure prominently in my opinion of the two.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson View Post
I would love to hold a Bold and a Javelin to do a side-by-side comparison. The design and form would be sure to figure prominently in my opinion of the two.

-simpson
Here is a side by side pic. You can see how much smaller the Javelin is compared to the Bold.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
Only 3 upgrades:
processor, camera and screen.
Nothing else is new.

Bold on the other hand:
Onboard memory, processor, 3g, bigger screen, higher resolution screen, revamped keyboard (I think?) Sexy design.
You forgot OS. The Javelin will have the OS 4.6 like the Bold. So really, the only thing the Bold has over the Javelin is 3G and a bigger form factor that many do not like.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 08-31-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Old 08-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
You forgot OS. The Javelin will have the OS 4.6 like the Bold. So really, the only thing the Bold has over the Javelin is 3G and a bigger form factor that many do not like.
The Javelin as far as looks walks all over the Bold. Although the processor is a tad slower it is still a better device than the Bold. Net speed is the only thing the Bold is winning.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #31
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The Javelin as far as looks walks all over the Bold. Although the processor is a tad slower it is still a better device than the Bold. Net speed is the only thing the Bold is winning.
I think the Bold is the biggest, ugliest thing since the 8800. The Curve is the perfect size, getting the Bold to me would be like going backwards. I'm waiting for the Javelin.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #32
BryanHarig

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
No.

Bold advantages:

- 3g speed
- 1gb built in memory
- 600+mhz processor
- Bigger screen
- Keeps the standard miniUSB port

Javelin advantages:

- 3mp camera vs 2mp on Bold
- Smaller size
- seperated keys

unknowns:

- Will the Bold have a louder speakerphone? It is bigger, might have been harder to put such a nice big pair of speakers in the smaller Javelin.

- Will the Javelin have better battery life? While it will not have 3g draining power it will also likely drop back to a curve sized battery (~1100 mAh vs the 1500 mAh of the Bold)

I see advantages to both, personally the first next generation Blackberry to support T-Mobile 3g will find a place in my pocket!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #33
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
No.

Bold advantages:

- 3g speed
- 1gb built in memory
- 600+mhz processor
- Bigger screen
- Keeps the standard miniUSB port

Javelin advantages:

- 3mp camera vs 2mp on Bold
- Smaller size
- seperated keys

unknowns:

- Will the Bold have a louder speakerphone? It is bigger, might have been harder to put such a nice big pair of speakers in the smaller Javelin.

- Will the Javelin have better battery life? While it will not have 3g draining power it will also likely drop back to a curve sized battery (~1100 mAh vs the 1500 mAh of the Bold)

I see advantages to both, personally the first next generation Blackberry to support T-Mobile 3g will find a place in my pocket!
The Bold has a bigger screen but the resolution on the Javelin is better. The Javelin also more memory for apps than the Bold, yeah the Bold has 1GB internal and 128MB for apps while the Jav has 256 for apps. Big difference. Also the Jav is running a higher build OS than the Bold.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #34
BryanHarig

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

- The pixel density on the Bold is, in my opinion, high enough. There is no need for a higher resolution.

- I am sure by the time the Javelin is released we will see an equivelent OS version for the Bold.

- You have a point about the application memory difference. Personally, 128 is about twice what I need. I also tend to reboot every day or two, so cumulative loss from memory leaks doesnt bother me.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #35
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post

THAT is what it basically comes down to in my book.....
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #36
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

i'm excited for the Javelin, and thats what I want!

I could care less about 3G. So the bold isn't pulling me in.

I can tell you why its pushing me away, the form factor and keys!

What do I really want? More memory, which both have! Faster processor, which both have! WIFI and GPS together, they both got it! Nicer screen? Don't care for, but that is a plus, they both have it.

So to me, it came down to form factor, I don't want another 8800.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #37
moonbaseone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 20DC81B8
Carrier: ATT

While I do want to try a blackberry with 3G, It looks like the Javalin is a better phone.

Also, I love the keyboard of the 8300, on the 8800, not so much.

FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource.

Last edited by moonbaseone; 09-05-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #38
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

3g and ability to get emails to me anywhere im at is important, so until javelin does its useless. although the camera seems awesome
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #39
candice26

Model: 8320
PIN: 24786F6F
Carrier: Tmobile
Unhappy

I'm not up on the hype of this phone at all or any phone T mobile phone for that matter. My issue is more with T mobiles network okay let's put it like this. Does the Javelin have a video recorder? Does the Javelin have youtube support on it? Does the Javelin have soft keys? T mobiles network sucks. I'm useing a 8320 and can't even log onto youtube and the video sucks big time on the 8320. My only thing is if T mobile comes out with a hot phone add better network offer more to the customer. I love blackberries why pay some much and don't get much on the network. Sprint and other networks their BB are better because they offer more than just the OS.I was so mad when I found out I T mobile don't support youtube or any kind of video on their 8320 other than that lame receiveing videos
Old 10-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #40
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by candice26 View Post
I'm not up on the hype of this phone at all or any phone T mobile phone for that matter. My issue is more with T mobiles network okay let's put it like this. Does the Javelin have a video recorder? Does the Javelin have youtube support on it? Does the Javelin have soft keys? T mobiles network sucks. I'm useing a 8320 and can't even log onto youtube and the video sucks big time on the 8320. My only thing is if T mobile comes out with a hot phone add better network offer more to the customer. I love blackberries why pay some much and don't get much on the network. Sprint and other networks their BB are better because they offer more than just the OS.I was so mad when I found out I T mobile don't support youtube or any kind of video on their 8320 other than that lame receiveing videos
Yes the Javelin has a video recorder. Yes you can watch youtube on the Javelin. It has GPS as well as wifi.
Now your 8320 can have a video recorder and watch youtube as well. Go to the 83xx forum and look at the OS 4.5 sticky's and upgrade your OS and you too will have a video recorder and have the ability to watch youtube. ;)
Closed Thread