Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

One you have UMA shpwing on the screen, and you have hotspot plan with tmo, when you are overseas you can call anyone in the US for FREE. I tried it many times.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
shlingding
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

Fabulous! And calls made to me while working within UMA?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

If you have UMA all calls are billed as if you are still in the US. You don't need the hotspot plan. If you don't have the hotspot plan then minutes used are deducted from your bucket of minutes.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
shlingding

Thats incredible. I live in Amsterdam most of the year. I get calls all day on my US mobile and always dial them back from my Vonage line. Now i can effectively ditch the vonage line and make/receive all calls (while at home) on my US mobile! Thats priceless.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
shlingding

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

If you have UMA all calls are billed as if you are still in the US. You don't need the hotspot plan. If you don't have the hotspot plan then minutes used are deducted from your bucket of minutes.
Is there a place on the TMO site that confirms this? Frankly, I'm concerned that when I spend the next 2 weeks in Holland, I'll have a rude awakening after getting my bill...

Got the 8900 yesterday - totally fabulous.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8320)

I have travelled throughout the world with my 8320 and if I have a uma connection, I have NEVER been billed to make or receive calls from the US. I do however have the @home plan. Also, making calls to your local area is billed as an international call originating from the US.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

As long as you have a wifi signal, and your phone shows UMA, you will not be billed for any calls back to the US. The minutes will come out of your minute bucket (in my case, unlimited). You will, however, incur ridiculously high charges if you were to call a local number in the foreign country in which you are staying. I have been using this mehtod with success for the past year on all my trips around the world. It is important to note that while it is not a requirement, it is advisable to turn off the cellular antenna when out of the country, and set your berry to connect through wifi-only.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #28
enrogue

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman View Post
As long as you have a wifi signal, and your phone shows UMA, you will not be billed for any calls back to the US. .

I have taken my Rogers 8900 to the U.S. on multiple occassions the past 6 weeks... Although my phone shows UMA and UMA calling works here in Canada, once I connect to WiFi in the US, UMA fails to show up and gives the error "Location not Allowed" in the Wifi diagnostics.. Unless I have misconfigured something (which I highly doubt), UMA is unfortunately useless ouside of Canada with Rogers (and relatively useless in Canada).

EnR
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #29
deevusone

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrogue View Post
I have taken my Rogers 8900 to the U.S. on multiple occassions the past 6 weeks... Although my phone shows UMA and UMA calling works here in Canada, once I connect to WiFi in the US, UMA fails to show up and gives the error "Location not Allowed" in the Wifi diagnostics.. Unless I have misconfigured something (which I highly doubt), UMA is unfortunately useless ouside of Canada with Rogers (and relatively useless in Canada).

EnR
did you subscribe to rogers talkspot program? I'm still trying to figure out this whole UMA thing with Rogers... there's nothing on their site that states the charges etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #30
enrogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevusone View Post
did you subscribe to rogers talkspot program? I'm still trying to figure out this whole UMA thing with Rogers... there's nothing on their site that states the charges etc.
no i did not.
Closed Thread