BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
itladyee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: bd&st
Carrier: at&t/Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Yep! I'm in LOVE with my phone again... I went from the 8310...to some other phones,,, then the BOLD..then the Storm (still like it but it's a challenge to type efficiently and quickly)....then tried the new curve.

I'm 2+ weeks on it and have no regrets.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB58 View Post
Ok.....this is just killing me.

So I bought the curve 8300 at the end of October 08. Great phone, no complaints. Of course, if only I had played the patience card back then I would have had the chance to see the curve 8900 come out which I am just absolutely in love with. I am now in a difficult position. I am utterly stuck with my 8300 because of course I signed on the 3 year plan and the 30 days has passed for my ability to return the thing. Rogers' upgrade policy also disallows upgrades for smartphones (discounts) until 24 months has passed.

I already tried to go back to rogers and complain, or pretty much try to think of some way to get this switched, but it looks like I am just stuck.

At this point it seems the only way I will be able to switch would be to purchase an 8900 with no terms (just the device, 600 bucks....ouch) and then I could just carry my current plan over to that phone correct? but I was thinking I could ask for a birthday or xmas present this year :P.

Can all you tech savvy folks please give me your opinions on whether this is ultimately a worthwhile move. And please do not look at it from an economic/efficient view, look at it from a "I am a guy who loves technology and I want a really badass phone that can do what I can now, but better" Money really isnt that big of a deal to me, but I would at least like to hear/know that the device rocks the socks off the 8300.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bryan
You would not regret IN AnY way at all getting what I consider the best BB I have ever seen, or from what I have heard from others , the best BB period.

GET the 8900
ScreenGuardz (www.screenguardz.com)
TatSkinz (www.tatskinz.com)
Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
oxeneers

Model: 8900
PIN: 23B20B53
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Yeah, it's a great device. Just got one. My first BlackBerry and I love it. The browser still is weak in some spots but thankfully there is the BOLT browser and the Opera Mini to make up for the BB's browser's shortcomings.

Beautiful device, too.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
BryanB58

PIN: No wai
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Alright,

I'm back and I now sport an 8900, Goodbye 8310!!!!

all I can say is OMG

Everything about this phone has been improved, thank you all for the information.

PS I love how much memory these things sport, NEVER have to worry about my app situation again.

One question thought, I noticed when I use my Wifi with my network at home, EDGE Changes to UMA...and when I try to call people with it on UMA I can dial local numbers, it makes me enter the area code. Why would this be? I would not be getting charged long distance because of this would I? I dont really understand what UMA is, it doesnt say anything in the book about it.

Thanks alot guys
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
austinholloman

Model: 8790

The reason why this is happening is because you are making calls over the internet. The internet doesnt know its a local number. UMA if you have the 9.99 hotspot plan is free no matter who or where you are calling in the usa. All calls over UMA with the hot spot plan do NOT deduct from you plan minutes no matter what time of day you place the call. If you dont have the hotspot plan for 9.99 a month then calls placed over you in home UMA network will deduct from you mins like any other call. No extra charge. Btw congrats on the new phone it only gets better every day you dig deeper with the bad boy.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Not to get off topic but here are some UMA questions.... I know you don't need to use the TMO router to make UMA calls, so does this mean that you're able to get around international dialing? That is to say, maybe you're in Europe, hop onto a wireless network and dial out, since it's technically UMA, you shouldn't be charged the outrageous international roaming rates?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
nicksys

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Absolutely, worth every penny. Obviously you have no use for two phones, sell the 8300 and use the proceeds to fund the 8900 purchase. Congrats, now seem to be in order!

Last edited by nicksys; 04-07-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #28
SmoovD327

PIN: N/A
Question Love my 8900, but....

This is my first BB and believe me I love this compared to the frustration I dealt with every day with my phone freezing and having to re-start, but coming from 2 generations of Windows Mobile phones (T-Mobile MDA & Wing) I find myself missing a few functions that I've grown to enjoy that so far I cannot seem to find available on the 8900.

1. Haven't found a way to add new phone numbers to an existing contact.

2. I cannot change my voicemail notification alert so that it differentiates between what is a text message and what is a voicemail.

3. Haven't found an app or any info on if I can sync with my Windows Live contacts so I don't have to do double duty on contact input on the 8900 and then again on the computer.

Any ideas?
Closed Thread