Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I tried that, but to no avail. I just bookmarked it.
The calendar sounds great. I'm gonna get around to it eventually though.

Kamau
Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
rugmankc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

You mentioned themes,

I put the Scroll Today theme from the below link on my 8900. I love it. Seems to fade between screens. Shows 5 latest calendar appts and 2 newest emails on homescreen along with about 9 homescreen icons.

I like the calendar because of the new scroll wheel for changing dates/times. Kinda like the iphone. And when you move an event to another day it goes to that day and shows you the event was actually moved. 4.6 just left you on the current day and you had to go to the new day to confirm the event was properly moved. 5.0 lets you set phone/message ringer profiles for any contact from that contacts listing in the phones contact list.

The Theme Zone: 3 Scroll themes: Scroll Today, Scroll Calendar & Scroll Plus (8900, 9600, 9700)

Ken
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #23
ubizmo

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

So far, every version of OS 5 that I've installed on my 8900 (.238, .411, .461) has had problems with phone call quality when in WiFi. There is major distortion. I generally only use WiFi at home, and it works fine for data (streaming Pandora, etc), but when phone calls come in, they're a mess. I generally switch to EDGE and call back.

Ubizmo
Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #24
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
So far, every version of OS 5 that I've installed on my 8900 (.238, .411, .461) has had problems with phone call quality when in WiFi. There is major distortion. I generally only use WiFi at home, and it works fine for data (streaming Pandora, etc), but when phone calls come in, they're a mess. I generally switch to EDGE and call back.

Ubizmo

Sorry to here that. Mine seemed to improve over 4.6.

Ken
Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post

Ubizmo

really?!? its got to be something on your end because ive made tons of calls since updating to 5.0.0.411 and about 80% of them have been over wifi... and they sound great!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #26
ubizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
really?!? its got to be something on your end because ive made tons of calls since updating to 5.0.0.411 and about 80% of them have been over wifi... and they sound great!
Yup, but I can't figure it out. This is a replacement handset, and the previous one had the same problem. I'm not talking about VOIP calls; I just mean regular calls while my BB is on WiFi. I have FiOS WiFi currently, but I had the problem when I had ATT, with a different router. So...two handsets, two WiFi routers, two services, three OS versions, same problem.

Ubizmo
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

wiiiierd. you managed to isolate ISP related problems, handset problems and router problems.

well, you at least managed to eliminate them beyond a statistical doubt.

possibly try downgrading to 4.6 and see if you still have crap call quality. else, its got to be some sort of interference or a common misconfiguration your new and old router share.

just curious, what router are you using now and what did you use to use?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #28
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
You mentioned themes,

I put the Scroll Today theme from the below link on my 8900. I love it. Seems to fade between screens. Shows 5 latest calendar appts and 2 newest emails on homescreen along with about 9 homescreen icons.

I like the calendar because of the new scroll wheel for changing dates/times. Kinda like the iphone. And when you move an event to another day it goes to that day and shows you the event was actually moved. 4.6 just left you on the current day and you had to go to the new day to confirm the event was properly moved. 5.0 lets you set phone/message ringer profiles for any contact from that contacts listing in the phones contact list.

The Theme Zone: 3 Scroll themes: Scroll Today, Scroll Calendar & Scroll Plus (8900, 9600, 9700)

Ken
Actually, that was one of the themes I wanted to get. I do have it, but thanks anyway.
I'm still having problems with my CNN. Now, my link to this site (WAP) says the same error message. I downloaded it from here, but it just doesn't work like the CNN. I bookmarked the BBF Wap as well for access.

Kamau
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Actually, that was one of the themes I wanted to get. I do have it, but thanks anyway.
I'm still having problems with my CNN. Now, my link to this site (WAP) says the same error message. I downloaded it from here, but it just doesn't work like the CNN. I bookmarked the BBF Wap as well for access.

Understood, Good luck with it.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #30
ubizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
possibly try downgrading to 4.6 and see if you still have crap call quality. else, its got to be some sort of interference or a common misconfiguration your new and old router share.

just curious, what router are you using now and what did you use to use?
Calls are fine with 4.6. My previous router was whatever cheap Motorola model ATT supplied with their DSL service. I don't remember the model number. Now it's a Verizon router, supplied with FiOS service.

I don't understand why this should affect it at all, since I'm not making UMA calls. I should probably try going to a Starbucks WiFi or something and seeing how the call quality is from there.

Ubizmo
Closed Thread