Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
aveteam

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default BB Pearl Flip 8220 cannot unbrick

Please Login to Remove!

Background: A friend of mine got this Pearl Flip back in mid-December 2008. He recently got an iPhone and gave me his old Pearl Flip. It was working great till I attempted to update it with the WebSLUpdater app. I got the dreaded "A fatal error has occurred, please try again" when it attempted to load the updated apps. Googling the problem brought me to these forums, and I tried all the suggestions listed in the tutorials: pulling the battery, waiting for PIN:UNKNOWN in Apploader, wiping with JLcmder, etc, nothing seems to work. I've been over them all probably a couple dozen times.
What happens is, the device is detected, the update proceeds OK until it reconnects to the JVM. As soon as it connects and the .cod files start loading, it gets to net_rim_cldc.cod, then it fails about halfway through and reboots. It either comes back with a 561 or 507 error after that. Has anyone seen this happen before? I've tried loading this file with javaloader and it still bombs about halfway through. Even tried re-downloading the phone update from t-mobile in case it got corrupted somehow, still no change.

I've tried the suggested solutions with/without a USB hub, USB port on the back of the machine, turned off power control, used with a USB 1.1 and 2.0 port just for good measure. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Get the latest OS version from this link http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...a-english.html install it and delete vendor.xml file, wipe the device using JL_Cmder then use loader.exe to try to load it
Good luck
Regards
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Jarrod623

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...
Carrier: AT&T

Please click on the link JL_CMDR in my sig.

That will help you reload the phone.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
aveteam

Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for the replies! I should have been more clear in my initial post. I have been using T-Mobile OS version 4.6.0.180 in my attempts to update/rescue this phone; the WebSLUpdater was only used for the initial failed update attempt that caused this whole mess. For the sake of being thorough, I followed both your suggestions; I re-downloaded and installed JL_CMDR from the link in Jarrod623's sig, and the latest OS version from the link that jjmach posted. I then uninstalled all Blackberry OS updates and Desktop manager software, then installed the latest OS package, rebooted then wiped the phone with JL_CMDER and attempted the update. It did get further in installing the new apps with the latest phone OS which had me hopeful for a bit, but it still failed. It always fails at some point in installing the .cod files, usually the net_rim_cldc.cod file. The rest of the process up to that point proceeds normally. I've tried both with selecting some apps from AppLoader like BlackBerry maps, etc., or selecting none at all, with the same results.

Last edited by aveteam; 07-06-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
jjmach

Model: 8830

try the reset to factory settings option at JL_Cmder maybe that will make the trick
Regards
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You have no idea - REPEAT NO CLUE - what you are talking about. Two identical posts which show your ignorance.

Good luck with your BlackBerry. Don't bother coming here and ranting and crapping in others threads.

Please - no one - worm your device up to 175C. You are a moron.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

NJ, to whom are you addressing your post/rant?

I assume it is aimed at the poster that has since been deleted for posting crapola in several different places?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

That is correct... It is directed to an individual who came on, had three posts (the same rant) in three threads and he was, to be blunt, a moron. And he replied to a 5 month old thread!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Ufone

Cool down guys. Talk technical. No offensive remarks !
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Inigo Montoya

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I have a Pearl Flip 8220 which just started showing the exact same symptoms as the OP. I am able to wipe the device and connect through Apploader, but it always shuts down/reboots during the "Loading Application Modules" step - usually on the net_rim_cldc.cod. As with the OP, I've tried all the suggested steps.

Outside of this thread (and it doesn't look like the OP's problem was solved) - I can't find any other indications of what the problem is (physically corrupted storage?)

The carrier (Rogers) wasn't much help - their tech support could only suggest the same steps as above (followed by suggesting replacing the BB - but its out of warranty)
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
alexandror

Carrier: Telcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveteam View Post
Background: A friend of mine got this Pearl Flip back in mid-December 2008. He recently got an iPhone and gave me his old Pearl Flip. It was working great till I attempted to update it with the WebSLUpdater app. I got the dreaded "A fatal error has occurred, please try again" when it attempted to load the updated apps. Googling the problem brought me to these forums, and I tried all the suggestions listed in the tutorials: pulling the battery, waiting for PIN:UNKNOWN in Apploader, wiping with JLcmder, etc, nothing seems to work. I've been over them all probably a couple dozen times.
What happens is, the device is detected, the update proceeds OK until it reconnects to the JVM. As soon as it connects and the .cod files start loading, it gets to net_rim_cldc.cod, then it fails about halfway through and reboots. It either comes back with a 561 or 507 error after that. Has anyone seen this happen before? I've tried loading this file with javaloader and it still bombs about halfway through. Even tried re-downloading the phone update from t-mobile in case it got corrupted somehow, still no change.

I've tried the suggested solutions with/without a USB hub, USB port on the back of the machine, turned off power control, used with a USB 1.1 and 2.0 port just for good measure. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem with my BB 8220 Flip!! I've tried everything a million times! I also get stucked when the Application Loader tries to load the .cod files, the BB disconects and starts all over again! Help!!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
harrypeart

Carrier: Digicel

My problem is that the desktpop Manager will not recognize the phone. I have a JVM Error 545 code, but all the advice says reload the OS, but how can you if it will noe recognize the phone.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypeart View Post
My problem is that the desktpop Manager will not recognize the phone. I have a JVM Error 545 code, but all the advice says reload the OS, but how can you if it will noe recognize the phone.
Welcome to the forums.

Try these steps: What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ

Be patient as it may take several attempts before a connection is made.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
harrypeart

Carrier: Digicel

Went through the steps "what to do next if Jl cmder will not connect. It says "The BlackBerry Desktop software does not have BlackBerry Software for the device that you have connected to the computer." But I downloaded the current OS from my provider this morning and the install program said it installed correctly, so I tried it again and it said the same thing.
Now what?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Well, it sounds like you were able to get the PC to detect the device. So, that's good news!

Now follow these steps to the letter:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Closed Thread