Old 10-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #21
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Don't hold your breath , it doesn't.

I agree it should be a choice, and I travel a moderate amount, but I use my calendar and make my appointments in such a manner that it works for me.

We've had this identical discussion in numerous threads here in this BBForums, and it never changes... some users hate not having the feature, other users accommodate their habits. It never changes. Over and over. One user comments that it was just a deal killer for himself--no more BB. Another was ready to die on that sword. But for now, it is not a choice.

Maybe it will be one day.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #22
Reparkable
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: a rose on your nose
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyetattoo View Post
Sign me up for the auto update.....It should be at least a option.
I couldn't agree more. If some people don't care about the feature...so be it....but at least provide the OPTION to do it (considering its pretty standard on most non-smartphones).
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #23
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

huh? "No positive contribution to the benefit of the forums"? What does that mean Reparkable?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #24
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I think he meant the one that said "Boo-fricken-hoo".

Edit.. check the post numbers.

Last edited by daphne; 10-22-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #25
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

If you change the Date/Time source from BB to network what does that do?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

It takes the date time source from the network, but doesn't change the time zone. :(
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
If you change the Date/Time source from BB to network what does that do?

the way i understand it is that it updates the minutes from the network time source but not the hour.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #28
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstroud View Post
the way i understand it is that it updates the minutes from the network time source but not the hour.
No, it takes the hour too... but the time is always in GMT.
You need the time zone properly set on the device in order to get the correct offset from GMT.

The BlackBerry receives GMT from the Network, but not the actual Time Zone/Offset.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #29
rallanr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Interesting app but it only addresses half of this issue in my opinion. It automatically updates the BB to the local time zone - which the BB should do automatically frankly. But I assume that having done this then all the appointments in the calendar still shift accordingly and I'd rather they NOT do this. I've posted my arguments before on this subject so I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #30
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolcoff
Check out this application called AutoTimeZone:
AutoTimeZone - Travel BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
"Automatic" seems a big overstatement to me. If the user must launch the app every time, why not just manually change the time zone and save your money. Different strokes...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #31
DLaund

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Unhappy

Seems simple enough. It is already listed in the options page why not make it just that an option? I travel quite a bit and mostly by driving. When I change time zones (some times two or three times a day) I am expected to "just push a few buttons?" If my customer says lets meet a 2:00 I don't ask which time zone he/she is referring I just put it in the planner and expect the alarm to notify me. Yes I understand I can go through the multiple options in the time zone box of the appointment. Just seems it would be easier to set it up as an option. I then set the alarm since hotel wake up calls are not reliable and have to remember to adjust for time changes.

Solve the problem just make it an option.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #32
gourdo

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

This is probably the number one annoyance with my BB Bold.

Sorry, I've read all the reasons for RIM not to offer the option to auto-time zone change. I just don't buy any of them. What can RIM possibly lose by offering this option to users?

It's become a religious battle at this point simply because RIM refuses to listen to common sense.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #33
NewBlackberry_User

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Count me as another person who just searched on this and came upon this forum. I can't believe how utterly ridiculous this situation is. I don't buy any of the arguments that RIM has put forth. How do Windows Mobile devices function properly with Calendaring and Email while automatically changing timezones?

As for the person who said "do your homework"--I guess I should have, but it never crossed my mind that there are ANY phones out there that do not automatically set the time zone.

We just committed to BB/RIM and T-Mobile for our company. This is a minor issue, but had I known about it, I would have at least brought it into consideration, as we have many folks who travel. Furthermore, we have lots of folks travelling internationally. Now they have to remember more than just the US timezones, which is just plain silly.

I hope RIM sorts this out, but based on the history, it doesn't look like they care that much about it. What a shame. I will certainly bring this up to anyone who mentions that they are consiering a BB, as it's obviously not something that most people would even think about asking about.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #34
dedwinson

Model: 8300

As much as I like the argument about doing research on a product before buying, I didn't have that option. My company requires a blackberry.

Here's a prime situation that just happened to me because of the lack of time zone changes.

I was at a client meeting in another state. On the way home I had a lay-over in a different time zone. I wasn't aware I moved into a different time zone.

In the past on my Razr, the time changed based on where I was so I assumed this was a common feature. After all it made sense to have the phone change times. I looked my boarding pass and checked the blackberry clock and noticed I had 2 hrs. before the flight. Super! I had a nice dinner and walked to the gate with an hour to spare.

I sit down and hear the gate attendant say the flight will be delayed a bit and they will board in zones. Wow, a full hour before the flight and already announcing this? Needless to say my attention just went up a notch. Soon I hear another announcement that they are boarding. Still not realizing the time zone shifted, I am still suprised by the early boarding.

I eventually hear boarding all rows. Now it clicks. I jumped time zones. Rather than having 2 hrs. I had only 1 hr. and if I didn't get moving I was going to miss a flight.

I want the blackberry to update appointments, times etc. Failing to do so nearly cost me a flight and could have been more disasterous if I were relying on the blackberry time and missed a client meeting.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Yes, my boss did that years ago, but he was a total idiot.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwinson View Post
As much as I like the argument about doing research on a product before buying, I didn't have that option. My company requires a blackberry.

Here's a prime situation that just happened to me because of the lack of time zone changes.

I was at a client meeting in another state. On the way home I had a lay-over in a different time zone. I wasn't aware I moved into a different time zone.

In the past on my Razr, the time changed based on where I was so I assumed this was a common feature. After all it made sense to have the phone change times. I looked my boarding pass and checked the blackberry clock and noticed I had 2 hrs. before the flight. Super! I had a nice dinner and walked to the gate with an hour to spare.

I sit down and hear the gate attendant say the flight will be delayed a bit and they will board in zones. Wow, a full hour before the flight and already announcing this? Needless to say my attention just went up a notch. Soon I hear another announcement that they are boarding. Still not realizing the time zone shifted, I am still suprised by the early boarding.

I eventually hear boarding all rows. Now it clicks. I jumped time zones. Rather than having 2 hrs. I had only 1 hr. and if I didn't get moving I was going to miss a flight.

I want the blackberry to update appointments, times etc. Failing to do so nearly cost me a flight and could have been more disasterous if I were relying on the blackberry time and missed a client meeting.
While I can certainly appreciate your situation, I don't agree that you didn't have an option to research. The first thing I would have done had I been in your situation would be to research my new device's capabilities.

The lack of auto time-zone change is by design as has been discussed at length on this forum. While it would be nice to have the option to turn that feature on or off based on user preference, it will not be happening anytime in the near future.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #37
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Some research on travelling and time zone changes would be good too.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Hey John - how come my nice, new watch doesn't change time zones automatically? I have to change it maually on the tarmac when my plane is about to take off. Then I change my BlackBerry.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #39
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwinson View Post
On the way home I had a lay-over in a different time zone. I wasn't aware I moved into a different time zone.
Your ticket would have had the correct time on the ticket, regardless of your watch, and next time you fly, your in-flight magazine has maps with all the timezones. Confirm the time when deplane.

Likewise, you should have wondered why your incoming flight landed an hour earlier.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #40
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Hey John - how come my nice, new watch doesn't change time zones automatically? I have to change it maually on the tarmac when my plane is about to take off. Then I change my BlackBerry.
Yeah, I hate that my $20,000 Chanel J12 can't automatically change time...