BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
hd_rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Is UMA a function of my phone, the TMO Netowrk, or ??

Please Login to Remove!

For the past few days, my TMO 8320 has had very spotty UMA coverage. Probably 90% of the time, I am on the EDGE network even though I have a clear and functional connection to my wireless router at all times.

I've tried several battery pulls and watched it reboot several times. I always connect to my home router with no apparent issues. On a couple of occassions it seemed to connect to UMA (got the UMA icon to display) but several minutes later the phone will back in EDGE mode.

So is UMA a function of the TMO network, is it a function of the phone, or could something on my router be interfering with UMA? Can UMA be affected by bad weather? It seems over the past month or so that my UMA drop-outs coincide with some recent snow/ice storms we've had.

The only apps I have loaded are BBWeather, BBAlerts, and Empower HTML Pro e-mail viewer. I also have GoogleMaps installed but it is typically not running in the background. I am on OS 4.2.2.180 and have a bit over 21mb free.

Short of wiping the device and/or reinstalling the OS, what other checks or tests can I do?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
squeakr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

Need more info. What router? What are the diagnostic data displayed when you are on the UMA? Can you surf the net from your phone when connected to the router (through the wifi specifically I mean)? Sounds as though the device is connecting to the UMA but is connecting to your router, hence the falling back to edge.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
hd_rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think I might have figured it out.

I went by a local TMO Outlet a while ago and as soon as I walked in, the phone connected to the TMO HotSpot and changed over to UMA almost immediately. I think that pretty much rules out a problem with the phone.

I then went home and started troubleshooting. As before, the phone connects to the router just fine but remained on EDGE. My DSL modem/router gives me the capability to adjust firewall settings for individual PCs connected to it, including my BB. I moved the BB connection to the DMZ zone, saved the settings, and rebooted the router. As soon as the router came back up, my phone connected and went to UMA mode.

I can only imagine the built-in firewall on the router was somehow preventing UMA connections even though my BB was able to connect / communicate with the router just fine.

I have AT&T DSL service using a 2WIRE 2701HG-B modem/router. It's been an hour since making the change and so far everything appears hunky dory...
Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, router firewalls can definitely cause problems with UMA. Also, there are some other good threads in the wifi hotzone forum about optimizing your router settings for UMA use.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

To answer one of your questions, UMA is something your phone is capable of when it is connected to a cell provider who also has that capability. So it's not just your phone or T-Mobile, but a combination of both.

However, it all depends on a good wireless connection with broadband access to the Internet. As for the 2Wire router, if you got it working great! But when I worked for T-Mobile I know a lot of folks trying to use it couldn't get it working.

Dave
Closed Thread