Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
shehzaad

Model: 7250
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink Pakistan
Default "Sent from" address when forwarding to blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I have found various topics touching on some aspects of this issue, but no coherent answer so far.

I need to support the following setup:

Email received at [email address] is forwarded to [email address]. I need the "From" address for outgoing email from the blackberry to be [email address]. Note, I'm talking about "From", not "Reply-To".

I'm unable/unwilling set up the account "user@mydomain.com" on BIS (version 2.x) [for security reasons - primarily related to having a potentially frequently-changing pop3 password stored remotely (i.e. on the BB/BIS system).]

Is there a way for me to set up "Sent From" as [email address] *without* having to set up [email address] as an account in BIS 2.x?

OR

Is it possible to set up [email address] as an account in BIS where BB does not actually fetch email from [email address] (and hence does not need server and password information)?

I know the "Sent From Address" field under BIS 1.8 allowed this to happen, but since our carrier's upgrade to BIS 2.x, I don't see a way to do this.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by shehzaad; 08-02-2007 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Yes.

I have my [email address] BIS address masqueraded.

1. In BIS on cingular (BIS v.2.3, I believe) I have both the "reply to" and "from" addresses set as [email address] .
2. In GMail, I have a forwarding agent that forwards a copy of email sent to GMail to by BIS account (username@mycingular.blackberry.net). I have a filter set up (this is specific to Gmail, so that sent messages aren't pushed back to me) to not forward mail sent from me, to the BlackBerry. Again, this is for specific reasons with GMail.
[b]3. I never give out my [email address] address, I don't need to. Gmail now masquerades as the BIS account as far as I am concerned.

Incoming mail works like this:

1.someone sends me mail at [email address]. I receive it in my GMail inbox. Gmail forwards a copy to my BIS address (username@mycingular.blackberry.net). I receive both of these immediately, in real-time.

Outgoing mail works like this:

1.I can send email from Gmail just fine. This works like before.
2.I can send mail from the handheld (using [email address]) and both the "from" and "reply to" fields appear as "username@gmail.com". the recipient never sees my [email address] address anywhere in the headers (let alone the email itself). The only thing they can see (in the headers only) is the smtp host is something like "received from smtp01.bis.na.blackberry.net". As far as the user is concerned this email appears to have been sent from my [email address] address.

The downside is I loose reconciliations for deletes. But I don't care. i don't need reconciliation of deletes for the ways that I use gmail. and BIS has no knowledge of my Gmail password.

I think this can accomplish what you are asking for. You should see all of the settings in BIS 2.3.
Closed Thread