Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradshaw View Post
Has anyone tried the LivePVR application?

Curious to know if this would work on a Blackberry Curve.
Thank you.
I just tried it on my 8703e (4.2.1.110 os) and it crashed the device. Completely locked it up on inbound or outbound phone calls. Also caused some uncaught exception errors. The nastiest one was “uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_phone_app (48) is not responding; process terminated.” I may have to wipe the device and reload it to remove this thing. The author says it’s compatible with device os 4.2 or above, but obviously it’s not. I’d be careful, regardless of what device or os. Backup your device before trying this app just in case you need to wipe it and reload.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrichter View Post
I'm not sure I'd like my calls to be routed through some random hole-in-the-wall company's phone network to be recorded and stored...

Like I said earlier, there's no way to record a convo on the BB...only the way above which doesn't really count since the call has to be forwarded to a third party so they can do it. There's an epically-long thread about this topic over on that *other* forum, and numerous posts claim RIM has come right out to say they made it so we can't use an app to record a call because of all the legal stuff...which I think is ridiculous, if true of course.

The only solution, apart from the one above which I feel is a bit shady/risky, is to get a non-RIM phone that has a recording app available for it, or has one built in(some do have this feature built-in, one of my old Kyocera's had it). You could also buy one of those nice digital voice recorders from radio shack and record the convo with your BB on speakerphone. I've done this several times with a mic and windows sound recorder, works like a charm.
Well, actually there is a way to record a call on a Blackberry but it requires a VoIP client. Very easy to record a VoIP connection, in fact it’s a preferred method since it creates a digital copy of the streams with no degradation. We’ve been doing this for years with digital voice streams. But it’s clumsy, since you’re not using the mobile phone portion of the device.

And there’s nothing “shady/risky” about using a built-in recording app. It’s far more elegant than dragging around a bagful of stuff to do the same thing we’ve been able to do (also for years) with Palm and Windows Mobile devices.

But in the absence of legislative issues (there are none for the manufacturers), there’s only one other possibility. I’m suspecting that there’s a patent issue involved here that no one has yet revealed. The Katz patents are one possibility, but they’re going to expire in the not too distant future. If it’s a newer patent, it may be a long time before we see any manufacturer open up that feature for programmers.

Wait a minute, I think I just answered my own question, just found a patent that describes exactly this process within a mobile phone (or mobile phone/PDA) and it was issued in 2009.
Closed Thread