Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
brvid

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sending a slide show of pictures

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a way to create a series of pictures (pictures that are are in a specific order), so that they can be emailed to folks who have Blackberry Curves 8310, such that that series of pictures can be played back in the same order and saved to their blackberry as such?

I'm trying to create visual tutorials for certain training applications, and playing pictures on the blackberry for staff in the field works well.

I've sorta done what I want with Powerpoint, but I don't actually need to
send the presentation as powerpoint or have it play as a powerpoint as I'm saving all the images a individual composites...or 1 picture of my slide show has all info it needs imbedded in it already.

Saving powerpoints from email is also very tricky, and I'm wondering if
there is a simple way to create a slide show from a series of pictures in a specific order, email that to folks with 8310s, have them be able to open and play them, as well as save those slide shows to the blackberry,...without using powerpoint.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You could make a movie of the slides using Apple's QuickTime Pro and send the movie. Other than that, Powerpoint is the only other option, and it really is the best option.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
brvid

Default Slides and powerpoint

I appreciate the response.

There are two reasons I'm not happy with the powerpoint avenue...

#1 - The recipient can't SAVE the powerpoint presentation to their blackberry hard drive (internal or external memory card)...so they can't archive it.
They have to keep the email on their blackberry and in our company, they expire after 30 days, which is a problem;

#2 - Powerpoint (unless I'm not fully up to speed on it), forces you to make
BIG pictures out of each slide (which make the size of the powerpoint file and the time it takes to load the pictures take alot longer). I really only need to send a 320 x 240 size picture, but if I import that into powerpoint, it doesn't fill the page, I have to stretch it to fill the screen, and then I'm back to having huge files again.

If there were ways around these issues, then I'd be happy to use powerpoint.

The problem with the movie idea is that you can't read of movie off an email as an attachment...you have to load it onto the memory card or intern memory via a PC, and I want the user to be able to stop and stay on each page of the slide as long as they, and until they feel comfortable going onto the next step in the next slide.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvid View Post
I want the user to be able to stop and stay on each page of the slide as long as they, and until they feel comfortable going onto the next step in the next slide.
You just described Powerpoint to a "T". This is the exact purpose and benefit of using it. Anything else that does this will just be a Powerpoint clone, like Open Office's slideshow program or Apple's Keynote.

A Powerpoint attachment can be saved to memory just like any other type of file. Highlight it in the email and choose "download attachment". Documents To Go makes working with these files a snap, but often Blackberrys can open some Powerpoint files natively. I remember using my Curve 8300 to do this with no third party programs installed.

As for the picture size, this is customizable within Powerpoint.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
brvid

Default Slideshows

Actually, what you described IS my problem. When I highlight the attachment on the blackberry from the email, one of the options is NOT "SAVE ATTACHMENT".

I have COPY, REPLY, FORWARD, REPLY TO ALL, OPEN ATTACHMENT, DELETE.

Now, if I receive an email with (1) or several photos, I do get the option to save those individual photos but not the entire powerpoint file, or a pdf file for that matter....both of which I can open and view...just not save to my blackberrys on board memory or the external memory card I've installed.

I've got a CURVE 8310 running v4.2.2.170, as does everybody at my workplace to whom I'd need to distribute these powerpoints. I thought I read on another board that a newer version of the firmware gives you the SAVE feature, but I can't ask 100's of people to update their firmware to receive my powerpoint tutorials. There is also no timeline for the upgrade of the firmware throught my organization.

That's why I was hoping there was another way around this. They need to be able to retrain that file on their blackberry for future reference.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
pantheon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Turkcell

Its Time to use your computer
Closed Thread