Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
gbrendel1

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default BB on AT&T with generic data plan or no data plan

Please Login to Remove!

I have searched, so if I missed it, please point me to it.

Here is my situation. I am a current AT&T customer with a voice only plan using a Moto Razr. I have access to a hand me down BB Curve 8300.

Having the data plan would be nice, but I don't plan to use it that much, so I would be happy with the generic $10 plan or if that is not possible no data plan. My main goal is to have text capability with a qwerty phone. The $5 plan for 200 per month would be adequate for me.

So here is my question. Can I take my own BB Curve (which is bought and paid for but was on AT&T) and somehow use it with an existing account that has the generic data plan plus 200 $5 text plan or possibly the $5 text plan only.

If any of this is possible, how do I go about it?

Thanks to any and all for your help.

gb
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

From what I have heard recently, ATT, like some of the other carriers, is forcing owners of PDAs and BBs to get the proper data plan. They do a monthly IMEI scan and if yours comes up as a BB or PDA of some sort, then you get billed for the plan.

Have not confirmed this, just read about it in an ATT forum someplace. A tech also told me, but I take what they say with a grain of salt until I can confirm from a more reliable source.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

You can use the BB with text only if you'd like.
The above post is accurate but I believe that it is for new subscribers
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Personally, without the BlackBerry data plan I'd stick with the RAZR.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

You can use the BB with text only if you'd like.
The above post is accurate but I believe that it is for new subscribers
Not new subscribers, but current/new subscribers who buy a new smartphone through AT&T. The difference is subtle... my wife is using her Pearl as a phone/PIM without a data plan. She can continue to do so, but if/when she upgrades here device, if it's a smartphone of any kind, will be required to purchase a data plan.

In her case, it's simply a money grab by AT&T, as she gets/sends text messages and talks on the phone. She has no desire for a data plan, and no desire to do the things that require a data plan.

For the scammers looking to circumvent the monthly fee to cover their data access, the requirement for a data plan is the correct approach for AT&T to take, IMHO.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
From what I have heard recently, ATT, like some of the other carriers, is forcing owners of PDAs and BBs to get the proper data plan. They do a monthly IMEI scan and if yours comes up as a BB or PDA of some sort, then you get billed for the plan.

Have not confirmed this, just read about it in an ATT forum someplace. A tech also told me, but I take what they say with a grain of salt until I can confirm from a more reliable source.
As of Sept 6th 2009 any AT&T customer using a PDA or Smartphone (BlackBerry) and does not have the appropriate data plan will be automatically billed for that correct plan including prorated charges and advanced billing charges(if the account is billed in advanced). If you have a blackberry now that you are not using and are planning on using it, you will be required to have the appropriate data plan on the account per that device. PDA/BlackBerry Personal Plans are $30/mo and PDA/BlackBerry Enterprise plans are $45/mo. any questions????
Old 09-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsguru View Post
As of Sept 6th 2009 any AT&T customer using a PDA or Smartphone (BlackBerry) and does not have the appropriate data plan will be automatically billed for that correct plan including prorated charges and advanced billing charges(if the account is billed in advanced). If you have a blackberry now that you are not using and are planning on using it, you will be required to have the appropriate data plan on the account per that device. PDA/BlackBerry Personal Plans are $30/mo and PDA/BlackBerry Enterprise plans are $45/mo. any questions????
That is NOT true. The change did go into effect on Sept 6, 2009, but it only applies to smartphones purchased through AT&T after that time. If you currently have a smartphone without a data plan, you can continue to do so. You can also purchase a new smartphone through any other source (internet, other provider, direct from the manufacturer, eBay, CraigsList, etc), and you will not have to add a data plan.
Closed Thread