Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
dan_k

Model: tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default need help with profiles

Please Login to Remove!

New here. New BB tour owner. I searched and tried to answer this myself without asking, please help. When I'm in a meeting, I set the Tour for vibrate only. Good so far, because phone calls vibrate and don't ring. However, new emails vibrate also. I would prefer if it doesn't.

I thought I set all of the parameters properly in the ring tone notifications. No luck.

From my searches, I think I need to do something in "Profiles". I can't find this anyway on the Tour. Maybe I'm being a biscuit-head.

So, I would really appreciate step by step instructions on how to do this. Thanks in advance. Dan
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
vetmotox

Model: TOUR
Carrier: Verizon

Homescreen/options/sounds (little speaker icon)...choose a profile the works for you or create a custom. Custom takes a little time, but is worth it. You can set parameters for all notifications.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

The Vibrate profile will cause the device to vibrate on all notifications.

Here is how to edit notifications: How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)? - BlackBerryFAQ
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
dan_k

Thanks all. It looks like a custom notification is the ticket. Got it set up the way I like it. It seems a little convoluted to have to do this.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

you don't have to do Custom. You pick your best profile, and use it, then you go to profiles/Advanced and you can select what notifications you want for the various messages bin that profile. For meetings I use Phone Off. That leaves the messages coming in but no notifications/LEDs come on at all. I can peek and the phone by turning the screen on when I get a chance to see what I've missed.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 09-22-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
dan_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
you don't have to do Custom. You pick your best profile, and use it, then you go to profiles/Advanced and you can select what notifications you want for the various messages bin that profile. For meetings I use Phone Off. That leaves the messages coming in but no notifications/LEDs come on at all. I can peek and the phone by turning the screen on when I get a chance to see what I've missed.
Thank you, but I'm not sure I understand. I set up my active profile to give me ring tones for incoming phone calls. I turned off all other notifications (including vibration) as I don't want to be bothered my notifications on email, text, etc. Then when I set the bb to vibrate only, thinking that this would apply to phone calls, it vibrates when I get an incoming email.

In any event, no big deal, as I was able to set up a Custom and it now does what I want.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
dan_k

I thought I had this, but now I am confused again. Here's what I want. In general, I want the phone to ring and no other notifications for email, etc. I got this okay, by setting up a custom profile.

Now here's what's confusing: I set up a separate audible ring tone for my wife and home. Now, when I select my custom notification (phone vib), the audible ring tone for this contact rings (instead of vibrating.)

Once again, here's what I want. In general, my regular ring tone for all calls exept wife and home. Separate audible ring tone for wife and home. No other notifications for email, messages, etc. Now, when I'm in a meeting, I want all calls to vibrate and no other notifications for email, etc.

Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious. I would appreciate help.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

try this dan. Seperate custom ringtone and SMS tones - BlackBerry Curve - BlackBerry 8300 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Support Community Forums