Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #81
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I cloned, pulled the battery and still no love. I'm in Mississippi.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #82
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

i cloned, rebooted, pulled the battery and still no luck either... i was pretty pumped, but nothing's different.

fwiw i'm north of atlanta...

just to double check my work, all i needed to do is hit the "enable" button by MAC address, then "clone MAC address" then reboot?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #83
themostversatile

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mo

Unfortunately, I'm without UMA again this afternoon. This is REALLY aggravating me at this point. T-mobile's tech staff is either totally incompetent or incredibly full of sh*t--I called a few min ago and they still contend their service is workng fine. C'mon, don't insult me as a (tech-savvy)consumer. iPhone 3G + iCall is starting to look like a viable option for me. I've been die-hard T-Mo and BB for 5 yrs now but between UMA and slow updates this is all starting to wear on me.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #84
bobbyr

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by biellos View Post
i cloned, rebooted, pulled the battery and still no luck either... i was pretty pumped, but nothing's different.

fwiw i'm north of atlanta...

just to double check my work, all i needed to do is hit the "enable" button by MAC address, then "clone MAC address" then reboot?
Just for fun you can remove power fronm the router and the modem, plug the modem back in, let it go stable, then plug in the router.

I did not have to do that. I believe cloning the mac on my router causes a reboot of the router.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #85
jwsthomas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Just got off the phone with T-Mobile. After dealing with the first level rep, who had no clue, they sent me to the UMA group.

It is a know issue for the southeastern region (especially Atlanta). However they still "have no idea what is causing it". They are collecting tickets on it, so if you haven't called in and had a ticket opened please do.

Also, I spoke to them about the MAC clone fix. They said if that worked for you, it has nothing to do with this issue. That was ISP related. So, they seem to have some clue about the issue yet no clue at all!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #86
robjdj

Well, it's back up in Huntsville. I removed the MAC clone and UMA still works.

I agree the some idiot rolled out a software upgrade the blocked a set of MAC's or either only allows one, so cloning is necessary.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #87
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I don't understand what the MAC address of your router would have to do with anything unless T-Mobile blacklisted a bunch of them for some reason. During my time as a UMA rep at T-Mobile I don't think I ever even had to check to see if a router was blacklisted.

This is certainly something one of the folks who had a trouble ticket opened up should mention, though. It may take the engineers in a different direction or at least give them something more to look at.

Of course, some of the tier3 folks read this forum (I know from experience!) so they may already know about it. (Hello to the ATSG folks in Albuquerque!)

Dave
Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #88
bberry8320

Default UMA still working?

Left this afternoon with UMA up and came home later and it was back down. BUT found a workaround, which doesn't make any sense at all, but works nonetheless. Don't know if it was my workaround that fixed it or if UMA is back up, but will post it if someone needs it.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #89
bberry8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
I don't understand what the MAC address of your router would have to do with anything unless T-Mobile blacklisted a bunch of them for some reason. During my time as a UMA rep at T-Mobile I don't think I ever even had to check to see if a router was blacklisted.

This is certainly something one of the folks who had a trouble ticket opened up should mention, though. It may take the engineers in a different direction or at least give them something more to look at.

Of course, some of the tier3 folks read this forum (I know from experience!) so they may already know about it. (Hello to the ATSG folks in Albuquerque!)

Dave
"Blacklisting?" I sure hope not. But I DO hope that the TMO people ARE reading this forum! I don't have a problem with outages and such and will gladly back off if I was told that was the problem, or that they're at least looking into it. What I DO have a problem with is (1) TMO wasting my time because everyone is speculating as to what the problem is and thus putting us through painful exercises to check everything (in addition to the time we've been on hold on the phone waiting to talk to someone) when at least SOMEONE at TMO knows there is a problem with the UMA but isn't communicating it to the rest of the village, and (2) needing a lot of tickets opened before they do something about it. (In my case, a ticket was never opened. I was given a handset exchange.) In my opinion, TMO is on it's way to the same demise as Sprint .... but that's just my two cents.

Last edited by bberry8320; 07-10-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #90
michaelstanton

I cloned the MAC address, unpluged the modem, unplugged the router, pulled the battery from the curve, pluged back in the modem, pluged back in the router waited for it boot, batter back in phone and back in bussiness!

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #91
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry8320 View Post
"Blacklisting?" I sure hope not. But I DO hope that the TMO people ARE reading this forum! I don't have a problem with outages and such and will gladly back off if I was told that was the problem, or that they're at least looking into it. What I DO have a problem with is (1) TMO wasting my time because everyone is speculating as to what the problem is and thus putting us through painful exercises to check everything (in addition to the time we've been on hold on the phone waiting to talk to someone) when at least SOMEONE at TMO knows there is a problem with the UMA but isn't communicating it to the rest of the village, and (2) needing a lot of tickets opened before they do something about it. (In my case, a ticket was never opened. I was given a handset exchange.) In my opinion, TMO is on it's way to the same demise as Sprint .... but that's just my two cents.
Without getting too far off-topic here, T-Mobile doesn't do anything different with regard to network problems than any other carrier. If one person calls and complains about something that's hardly reason to page out the on-call network engineers. If 50 people complain then there is something wrong. That doesn't mean the issue isn't tracked or started to be looked into, but escalation doesn't happen unless a certain threshold is reached.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile has millions of customers so more than likely if x number of folks call up to say their phone is not working in a certain area then something is going on. But if just one calls chances are it's either a very localized issue or said person needs more instruction on how to operate said device.

The lesson here? If you're having a problem, call! The faster folks who are seeing an issue complain the faster the issue will appear on the radar for the folks who can fix it.

As for your handset exchange, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the refurb handset won't have any other issues. ;)

Dave

Last edited by sgtcasey; 07-11-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #92
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks to everyone who posted fixes and replied to my post. I ended up having no luck yesterday, but left the house and came back and UMA popped right back up. I dont know if the fix is in - or if the MAC change needed some time to work properly.

Regardless, it was nice knowing the problem wasn't just me (I was going mad trying to reboot my BB, my router, etc) and I appreciate the posts.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #93
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

I hope everyone is up and running today. For those who tried the cloning method and it didn't work, did you delete and reinstall your Wi-Fi connection after rebooting all devices? That's what I did and I even rebooted my laptop! Just a thought.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #94
ms_ccr

I am back on UMA this morning but I am not getting too excited because I was on UMA yesterday morning only to have it go out againxxx8230; I did notice some problems connecting to web pages via the EDGE network last night. I donxxx8217;t know if that is related to this issue or the software reset they had me do. I did not clone the MAC addresses.

Is everyone still on?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #95
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ccr View Post
I am back on UMA this morning but I am not getting too excited because I was on UMA yesterday morning only to have it go out again… I did notice some problems connecting to web pages via the EDGE network last night. I don’t know if that is related to this issue or the software reset they had me do. I did not clone the MAC addresses.

Is everyone still on?

ms_ccr... i got back on last night about 7PM and have been on since, so I'm more hopeful then I have been. It seems the last few days I'd get UMA, but never in upper case letters and never for an extended period of time. my wife also has a BB and she's up too...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #96
Jacksn

Carrier: T-mobile (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themostversatile View Post
Unfortunately, I'm without UMA again this afternoon. This is REALLY aggravating me at this point. T-mobile's tech staff is either totally incompetent or incredibly full of sh*t--I called a few min ago and they still contend their service is workng fine. C'mon, don't insult me as a (tech-savvy)consumer. iPhone 3G + iCall is starting to look like a viable option for me. I've been die-hard T-Mo and BB for 5 yrs now but between UMA and slow updates this is all starting to wear on me.

Sorry for the rant.
Hmm!? Sorry about your issues dude. I'm in Duluth, and have had no UMA issues all week (or ever, accept for the bluetooth/UMA demon!). Can you give some more detail on your settings? Have you tried rebooting your router?

J
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #97
jwsthomas

I have been back on since last night. T-Mobile UMA team called me this morning on my ticket and said it was a bandwith problem. Hope everyone else is having the same luck!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #98
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Hmm, tried MAC cloning and it did not hold the connection. It seems as though it's having trouble connect to the TMO network. I have a connection to my router, but sometime I just get the dreaded red SOS.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #99
ms_ccr

Hate to revive this thread but did any one elsexxx8217;s UMA service go out again today? I was connected last night but this morning I have nothing. I tried a battery pull and still nothing.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #100
200KIAS

Carrier: t-mobile

Looks like T-mo is back to last weeks tricks. My 3com is connected but no UMA.
Closed Thread