Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #81
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
As far as apps I would say that the software "choices" are better right now on the BlackBerry. But that is because its been around longer. The ones that are there though, make BB apps look extremely outdated.
Eh, thats the only part of your statement there i would contend. The BlackBerry, and the applications associated with it, are more function than form. They always have been. The device isnt as sleek, or nice to look at as others. Apple, IMO, has put form above function recently (macbook air anyone?). While their devices do look MUCH better than competing devices, they usually dont do anything different.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #82
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
numetheus has turned into a huuuuuge iphone fanboy...not sure how that occurred...but anyways...

I was just given a iphone (1G) and updated the firmware on it. It IS a nice device. Software is very nice and the email client is also great. However, its practically useless because typing is a chore on this thing. It really really should be labeled a Reader if anything.

Some of the apps are great and have filled in a lot of needs that I would want on my Blackberry.(Pageonce anyone? Ebay?)

Also, a major plus for me, is the fact the Google Reader is available in a useable form in the browser(NetNewsWire is also available as a standalone app for those who would be intrested).

I find myself in a odd situation because I do like the iphone a heck of a lot more than I thought I would, but I really cannot give up my blackberry for it. If there was some form of a keyboard on it, I may have gone over to the darkside. Apple definitely has a nice OS and nice hardware though. My blackberry just feels too good in my hands(there, I said it) to give up. One handed operation on an iphone? nope, virtually impossible.
Well I am actually a big fan of BlackBerry still. I own both, and will most likely get the Bold when it comes out. Right now though, my gadget mode is switched on and I'm focused on the iPhone 3G because ... well ... it came out first. I went on this kick a while ago when I got the AT&T Tilt. That one didn't last long though and I hated Windows Mobile all over again for the 100th time. The mobile operating systems I have always truly loved was the Linux based one that was on my Sharp Zaurus, BlackBerry, and now iPhone. PERSONALLY The one on the Sharp rules them all, but Sharp decided they weren't going to make PDAs anymore so here I am. Now it is BB and iPhone.

I sing praises for both, but I feel there are things RIM should change.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #83
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Eh, thats the only part of your statement there i would contend. The BlackBerry, and the applications associated with it, are more function than form. They always have been. The device isnt as sleek, or nice to look at as others. Apple, IMO, has put form above function recently (macbook air anyone?). While their devices do look MUCH better than competing devices, they usually dont do anything different.
I fully agree. BUT, RIM is trying to break into the consumer market. What RIM needs to understand, is that in the consumer world, form is actually what sells over function. While us techies like function, the CONSUMER sees what is on the outside. They see iPhone as a more advanced device because it looks better. They see the apps at face value and deem the unit superior just because it is flashy.

I do agree that the apps are just as functional. But ... to the general consumer, functional just doesn't cut it. Style sells (again, in consumer land).

Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #84
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Numethius answered a spammer (post 56)! I like it.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #85
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Numethius answered a spammer (post 56)! I like it.
OH! LOL!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #86
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
I fully agree. BUT, RIM is trying to break into the consumer market. What RIM needs to understand, is that in the consumer world, form is actually what sells over function. While us techies like function, the CONSUMER sees what is on the outside. They see iPhone as a more advanced device because it looks better. They see the apps at face value and deem the unit superior just because it is flashy.

I do agree that the apps are just as functional. But ... to the general consumer, functional just doesn't cut it. Style sells (again, in consumer land).
Wow we actually agree

just kidding of course. RIM has taken huge steps forward in the last 12 months, look at the 8900/9000 compared to the 88xx devices. Not to mention the screen quality on those two new BBs is incredible. Side by side with the iPhone the BB screen will look better. The housing hasnt gone through the changes it needs to, but I will take better devices over better looking devices. (its part of why i build my own computers rather than get an alienware pc. alienware may have some very nice looking PCs but the cost/benefit just isnt worth it)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #87
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Wow we actually agree

just kidding of course. RIM has taken huge steps forward in the last 12 months, look at the 8900/9000 compared to the 88xx devices. Not to mention the screen quality on those two new BBs is incredible. Side by side with the iPhone the BB screen will look better. The housing hasnt gone through the changes it needs to, but I will take better devices over better looking devices. (its part of why i build my own computers rather than get an alienware pc. alienware may have some very nice looking PCs but the cost/benefit just isnt worth it)
The Bold does look nice ... I can't wait to get mine. Although I won't get it off the bat like I initially said simply because iPhone and Bold are too close together in release time. Most likely it will be a Christmas present to myself. The OS does look a lot better. I still keep with my argument that RIM needs a unified UI and revamped SDK to bring the apps up to par with iPhone and WM apps (I can't believe I just said that). I guarantee that pushing next generation BB apps that "look" modern will give it a boost in the consumer market. Sounds something that should not matter ... I know. But, it does.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #88
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Well the $150million that they are giving to developers is going to help quite a bit.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #89
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael12005 View Post
i phone will NEVER touch the BB for 3 simple reasons: 1) AT & T 2) AT & T and 3) AT & T!
I only have a iPhone for 3 reasons: 1) Jailbreak 2) Unlocked for TMO and 3) Free!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #90
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well the $150million that they are giving to developers is going to help quite a bit.
Yeah. But there was someone that announced that kind of money for iPhone software development too. Google was actually the first one to do that for the Android platform a while ago ... although it was not as much as the one RIM or the one for iPhone.

I have to admit though, my love for Linux (my favorite mobile OS was still Linux I had on my Sharp Zaurus) has got me thinking about OpenMoko and the FreeRunner phone. If that thing had 3G I would have already been all over it! I am also VERY anxious for Google Android phones to show up. I just hope SOMEONE ELSE does touch screen right finally and includes a capacitive screen. I still don't get why nobody has made another unit with a touch screen that matches the one Apple uses.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #91
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Apple - 100mil
RIM - 150mil
Old 07-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #92
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Apple - 100mil
RIM - 150mil
What was the Google one? Wasn't it only like 10 mil?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #93
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Not sure, i dont really pay that much attention to the development grants, I gave up programming a LONG time ago. I only remember those two because RIM and Apple were so close together in announcing it.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #94
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

LOL!!! Look at the advertisments on this page before they change.... ;)

ABC News: iPhone or iCan't: Will Apple Survive Glitch?

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #95
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

hahahaha, BlackBerry ads all over it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #96
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
LOL!!! Look at the advertisments on this page before they change.... ;)

ABC News: iPhone or iCan't: Will Apple Survive Glitch?
What a sensationalist headline. "will apple survive the glitch" Oh please. Not only will they survive it, they will prosper. Apple has come from the basement to become one of the biggest success stories of the last decade. Must have been a M$ fan boy that wrote that headline.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #97
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
What a sensationalist headline. "will apple survive the glitch" Oh please. Not only will they survive it, they will prosper. Apple has come from the basement to become one of the biggest success stories of the last decade. Must have been a M$ fan boy that wrote that headline.
No different than the "the iphone will bring the death of BlackBerry" headlines. Its all politics.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #98
alox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

The iPhone is a 'trick' device, but it's just hardware. What sets RIM apart is is enterprise sales: the fact that BBs are practically standard issue for professionals in western nations. With the arrival of a fully customizable (touch screen) Blackberry (i.e.: Thunder), BB will be able to do everything that the iPhone can do now PLUS everything else that BBs have ever done. BB will expand into new markets, where they don't use Western-style text characters, or where more input flexibility or larger viewing screens are required.

RIM has secure data servers pushing data around the world, securely 24/7/365. Apple has iTunes, (when it is working).
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #99
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

This guy numetheus hits the nail on the head perfectly everytime. I have used Blackberrys for years and have had almost every model (BES admin). I got to play with the Bold last week and it is nice and will big a hit in the corp world. I have been using the Iphone 3g since it came out and am amazed. The feel and quality blows away my curve. Im finding more and more things I just cannot do with the blackberry in it's current state. There are some realy cool apps and alot are free. Just like numetheus, I will get the Bold when it comes out and I am sure I will like it. The BB is still the worlds greatest messaging business device but thats pretty much what it is. I will always have both and will just swap the sim back and forth.

The 2 things I didn't like about the 1st iphone was it was married to the sim you activate it with and it didn't do Exchange at the time. I had to carry both BB and iphone at the same time. Both are resolved now.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #100
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alox View Post
The iPhone is a 'trick' device, but it's just hardware. What sets RIM apart is is enterprise sales: the fact that BBs are practically standard issue for professionals in western nations. With the arrival of a fully customizable (touch screen) Blackberry (i.e.: Thunder), BB will be able to do everything that the iPhone can do now PLUS everything else that BBs have ever done. BB will expand into new markets, where they don't use Western-style text characters, or where more input flexibility or larger viewing screens are required.

RIM has secure data servers pushing data around the world, securely 24/7/365. Apple has iTunes, (when it is working).
No BlackBerry cannot do everything iPhone can do. In my personal life I love to surf the web and get information. Something BB cannot do is good web surfing. And even when Bold comes out with its full web browser it will still be extremely uncomfortable for surfing. There is only so much you can do with a trackball. If you are a medical student there is absolutely nothing in the BB world that compares to the several educational programs that are out there. BB can't compare in the entertainment world with its unoptimized OS. BB can't do everything iPhone can do and vice versa.

BB is the best work and practical device. iPhone is the best device for entertainment and web surfing. You cannot tell me BB can compete in the entertainment device arena. It comes nowhere close.

Closed Thread