BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #121
atleich

Model: 8200
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, well that logic didn't seem to work, I added the card back in, restarted, and it didn't work. Took the card out, restarted, still can't get it to work (darnit I should have left it when I had it!). In the diagnostics (in advanced mode), it does display the UNC Address as: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001 - which when I try to ping says couldn't resolve address.

UPDATE: Well, only moments later now it has connected! So far, it looks like if I remove my card, and give it a few minutes, it is working, again, this could still be coincidental in/out of service revolving door and the timing just happens to work out this way, or every other time I perform a battery pull, but others on here could test this theory and see what happens. I hope I might have stumbled onto something - even though I'm admittedly a blackberry novice.

I'll keep updating throughout the day if it stays connected or not. This thing is my only business line and I live in a black hole (ITP mind you) so I'm not going to be messing with it too much more now that it is working....
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #122
Jacksn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile (USA)

Still NO ISSUES in Duluth....
Sorry guys. I get Wi-Fi without issue anywhere in the greater Atl. area, including UMA (for voice). Can you give any greater detail of your setup? (Router, settings, etc.) I hope your issues get resolved, those are the number one features about the 8320 that sold me. I would be highly frustrated for sure. I wish you the best!

J
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #123
jwsthomas

Still having issues in Suwanee, Ga. It has been on a few times today, but off most of the day.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #124
atlbelle

Okay, first post, (so be gentle) but here is what I am finding. I also am in the metro ATL area, Forsyth County to be exact. I have been having UMA issues all week. I work from home and have 3 AP's which up until this point have been working extremely well, with almost 0 dropped/failed calls.

Starting on Monday of this week if I walk outside my house beyond my UMA coverage, and leave the range of my AP's and switch over to Edge, and then return to my UMA coverage area all calls will fail until I turn off Wi-Fi. As soon as I turn back on Wi-Fi my calls no longer fail (and yes I wait until UMA re-connects and then am able to successfully make a UMA call).

I really think this is a T-Mo issue as my AP's were working great up until the last few days!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #125
jwsthomas

The TMO rep I spoke with last night fully admitted this is a TMO issue and engineers were working on it. I have not recieved a call back concerning my ticket and UMA has been down most of the day here in Suwanee. Just a real pain for those of us who have to use UMA because we live in a black hole.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #126
rjhughes

Carrier: TMobile
Default UMA still out in Sandy Springs

As of about 7 pm, UMA is still out in Sandy Springs. It was up this morning (at least around 8 am or so) in downtown Atlanta when I stopped at a place with WiFi. Had a strong signal and UMA in all caps.

I am going to run over to Starbucks in a while to check there.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #127
jebjab

Carrier: TMOBILE

I have been through it all for over 5 days now. Decided to look here tonight. Wish I would have done this 5 days ago. They had me convinced I was the only one having this problem. I am in Macon, Georgia. Had UMA on Friday and Saturday and has been out ever since.

Called tech support 12 different times and got 14 different answers. Hope they get it resolved soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #128
michaelstanton

In Mobile, Ala. Still having issues. The cloning address work around worked but only for a day.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #129
jebjab

8am in Georgia and UMA is working for the moment.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #130
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Ok, I have had UMA service for the last few days this time around, but it has definitely been spotty. Although my Internet cable and tv service are working just fine, I am losing calls and getting frequent dead spots during calls on a regular basis. Sometimes the call survives the dead zone and sometimes it doesn't My phone is switching between UMA and EDGE on a frequent basis and many times there is no EDGE signal so I lose calls. It's worse at some times and better at others. I am in the process of calling Tmo and adding my trouble ticket to those already submitted! Frustration is my middle name!

Has anyone noticed that their Wi-Fi connection actually seems to drag at times? It sounds like the person is speaking in slow motion and then it goes back to normal speed again? This has happened a lot over the last two days.

Update: Speaking with Tmo rep and she says no outages in our area. I told her that I flat out refuse to jump through all the hoops with my phone that they insisted on last week when this problem first surfaced and I am happy to report that she accepted that. I'll keep everyone updated.

I am so tired of the spotty service that getting that a higher priced plan from another company is starting to look very attractive! But I won't give up yet; they have to fix this or else how will people want to get their home Wi-Fi service?

Update 2: Now Tmo wants to swap out my SIM card free of charge. Since the store is within 4 miles of my home, I am headed out to do it. If that doesn't work over the next two days, then I am to call back and will be referred to d-Link. Further updates to follow.

Last edited by newberry52; 07-17-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #131
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

What brand and model router are you using? The phone is designed to search for and attempt to use the best possible signal depending on how you have the Mobile Network Options set.

I keep mine on Wi-Fi Preferred since I have great wireless signal throughout my house and even out to the end of the driveway and all through the backyard.

Dave
Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #132
rheavy2

Unhappy update - on and off

uma worked at home around 9am w/o t-mo router. Do not get uma at work now.

Have had the uma problem on and off since Mon 7 July here in Atlanta (mostly off). I assume the major problem has been due to the introduction of the t-mo "landline"@home which began shortly before then.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #133
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am using the d-Link Dir-625, Version A2. I was just reading on d-Link's site that Bluetooth devices can interfere with the wireless network. Has anyone noticed that the problems occur only if they are using a headset? Or is it happening using just the handset? Just curious.

Last edited by newberry52; 07-17-2008 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #134
jebjab

Back down at 1:20pm est
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #135
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newberry52 View Post
I am using the d-Link Dir-625, Version A2. I was just reading on d-Link's site that Bluetooth devices can interfere with the wireless network. Has anyone noticed that the problems occur only if they are using a headset? Or is it happening using just the handset? Just curious.
Bluetooth certainly can cause problems with wireless devices. To test, disabled/turn off any Bluetooth devices and make a few phone calls.

Dave
Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #136
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

With OS 4.5 the Bluetooth compatibility problems are gone. RIM fixed it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #137
jwsthomas

It has been up and down all day. Hopefully they are getting somewhere.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #138
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got the new SIM card. It doesn't appear to have helped, just as I suspected, but hey, I am a woman and I love new things.

Thanks, John, for the info on Bluetooth and 4.5. I had read this on the fora previously but wasn't experiencing any serious issues at the time, but it seems that now my Plantronics 220 headset is contributing to, if not actually causing, the problem. My Curve works fine with the headset over EDGE but when I use it with UMA, it is very flaky. I hadn't noticed this so much before, although on occasions when I would answer the phone using the headset, the phone would actually reboot. Evidently things are deteriorating. I made a test conversation with a friend and using the headset caused me to repeatedly miss up to 20 seconds of conversation at a time and the signal constantly switched between UMA and EDGE. But I was able to successfully finish the same test conversation after disconnecting the headset and switching to the handset. I won't make a final judgment until I have tried it a bit more because my connection strength varies, but so far so good. I am talking on my Blackberry to my husband on his Samsung Katalyst over our Wi-Fi connection as I type and we are both able to hear well, even with only one UMA bar showing on my phone. I am hoping that Tmo will upgrade us soon to 4.5. So, at best, I will switch to a wired headset for the nonce and use Bluetooth when I am out and about on EDGE. I will post later on whether the problem has cleared up with this step or if it continues.

Last edited by newberry52; 07-17-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #139
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Why not just upgrade now. There is a polished version of 4.5.0.52 out for most devices now. I've been using it for quite some time. I'd recommend it.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #140
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have been considering it; this problem may be just the push that I need.

Two hours later edited to add:

So far, so good. Steady connection to UMA when I check although only one signal bar on either side of the tower. All calls have been fine. Definitely thinking that my headset was contributing to my problems.

Last edited by newberry52; 07-17-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Closed Thread