BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
lindajm22
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Wipe and reinstall OS brings new home screen icons?

Please Login to Remove!

After researching here and not being able to figure out a solution that worked, I decided to do a complete wipe with JL_Cmder and then reinstalled the OS (4.3) because I kept getting random "app error 200". So the wipe and reinstall went perfectly, no problems or errors. It was easier than I thought and everything is back to normal. Well, except that I had to reinstall my Today Plus theme but that went ok as well.

After the reinstall I now have several icons that I never had before, and they do not show up with any other theme except for Today Plus. And yes, I know how to "Hide" and "Show All" so that's not the answer to the mystery.

I have a new icon on my home screen that brings me directly to my Music, as if I had gone into Media and clicked on Music. The icon itself is a set of headsets and it is animated (changes) when I hover over it.

The other three icons look the same as the Options icon (a wrench). I have a new one called Screen/Keyboard and it brings me directly to the screen/keyboard section of Options. Another is Mobile Network and it brings me directly to the mobile network section of Options. And the last one is called Bluetooth and it brings me directly to my list of bluetooth enabled devices as if I had clicked on Bluetooth in Options. And this is NOT the "Set Up Bluetooth" icon either. That appears as a separate icon. And my Options still has a separate icon too, the wrench. So I have a total of 4 wrench icons on my home screen right now.

What are these? They are very handy but I've never had them before and they don't show up with other themes. And I have done a search here for "music player icon" and found responses that it is not possible to have a separate icon bring you directly to the Music Player. And yet here it is on my homescreen.

I wish I could take a picture to show them all. Anyone have any idea where these all came from?

Thanks.
Linda
Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

Carriers sometimes push new apps or new icons to the device. Also, many carrier themes have these icons as well. Sprint has many apps that are unique to them, and occassionally they show on the third party themes if you install them after loading the carrier default. I am on wap and cannot see your carrier but I am willing to bet it is something like this.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Linda, they are just as you described: icons to those options features.

There is nothing to be alarmed about.

You can use Jl_cmder to make a screenshot if you want.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Kind of ironic that by chance you suddenly got the icon you had wanted!

I wish I had those icons, they would be handy.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
lindajm22

Are you kidding? I LOVE these new icons! I just thought it was really strange that they all of a sudden showed up after I reinstalled the OS. Seems too coincidental that in the 30 minutes or so it took me to reinstall that Verizon suddenly decided to push these. I wonder why I didn't have them before now? I didn't have to re-download the OS, I just used what was already installed on my computer.

So if you're on Verizon and you want these cool new icons (the Music Player one is my favorite) try doing a reinstall.

Oh, Sith, I have the Verizon Curve 8330 model and my OS is 4.3.127.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
lindajm22

And I just noticed I now have two browser icons. Weird. Not sure what to do about that. All of my bookmarks are in both. Any idea why I would have two?

Thanks,
Linda
Closed Thread