BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
cambuttons

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default cracked 8300 screen (lcd ok)-what are my options?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to minimize cost as much as possible-I would like to just replace the screen-where can I find ones (does RIM sell them online?)

or are there any courses of action with at&t? I am eligible for upgrade on 6/24, but I do not know the discounts available (I really like this model, I would just stick to it)

I do not have insurance. I dropped it (so so sad) and it cracked.

thanks for you help! any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums.

Probably no recourse with RIM, as that would be user damage...

A good reputable repair and parts house is HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
cambuttons

Model: 8300

so blackberry does make replacement screens? I just want "official" replacement parts!

thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

They make them, they don't sell them direct.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Check out cnn.cn. Here is a direct link to the 8300 cover bb-8300-01 BlackBerry 8300 Curve OEM faceplate w/ lens- BenQ-Siemens, Apple, Accessories Store, Acer, Samsung, NEC, Panasonic, Motorola,

You can also just buy the plastic lens as well. bb-8300-08 BlackBerry 8300/8310/8320 Curve OEM silver LCD lens- Sony, HTC, Apple, BenQ-Siemens, LG, 3G, Alcatel, NEC, Tools, Nokia, Accessories

Ordered a replacement faceplate for my dads 8310. Took about 10 days to arive as was a true oem faceplate.

You will have take the unit apert to replace the faceplate. If you are not comforable with that, you might be better off with getting the lens only.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambuttons View Post
I'm trying to minimize cost as much as possible-I would like to just replace the screen-where can I find ones (does RIM sell them online?)
If you are an adept parts-swapper (you repair your own PC, your car, your laptop), you can easily do the same with a BlackBerry.

Get a Torx T5 and Torx T6 screwdriver, then purchase replacement parts from HorizonWireless, eBay, Promobility, etc. Many disassemble a BlackBerry and sell the parts separately. You can also purchase another broken 83XX series (that was broken in different ways) and swap parts. Just be careful about the motherboard, the most complicated part which can be prone to BES restrictions (though that can now easily be wiped with OS 4.3 and later)

Google the BlackBerry disassembly instructions as well as look up BlackBerryFAQ. For an experienced parts swapper, these instructions are all that is needed in order to begin swapping parts between broken BlackBerries to create a fully functional BlackBerry.

Be warned there is always the risk of permanently damaging your unit, and also permanently adding dust to the screen (Between the snap-on cover and the glass), you may have to live with this unless you work with cleanroom environments.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-14-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Lunga Bunga
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Default screen

Check out this link for parts ............ Cellular Accessories - Motorola, Panasonic, NEC, Apple, Dopod/O2, Acer, Alcatel, Nokia, Microsoft, LG,
Tony.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
stoxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

I placed an order with Cellular Accessories - Mobiado, Nokia, Acer, Tools, Accessories Store, HTC, NEC, Alcatel, BlackBerry, S early last week. The product
arrived 3 days later. Shipping time was awesome and product was
as described.
Closed Thread