Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestR_MolestR View Post
I like this app. Saves me from going thru the java folder and removing all that crap one by one.
That's why it got writ. Most people dislike raking around in the Java folder and CrackMem will take the pain out of that part of upgrading.

It can easily be beaten by those who have the expertize and know just what they want. But, CrackMem is safe and reliable and it can leave the OS just as you found it.

btw: I just tried it on an 8800 for the first time. It worked just fine.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #42
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Looks like a keeper.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #43
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I had tried to use this with my upgrade (8310) from 4.2.2.194 to 4.5.0.81... but no go. I chose to remove all of the removable items and did the upgrade. It obviously did remove the vendor.xls file, as the upgrade went through, but all of the items were moved to the new OS install on the 8310.

I was forced to fallback the old method - removing the.cod files from the JAVA folder. Fortunately I had already created a batch file to do so, so tweaking the batch file was simple enough...

I am disappointed in the performance of CrackMem 2.4.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #44
aapierre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9520
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
I also never saw, and still do not see the Crack and Black Berry forums as competing. Rather I saw them as complementary repositories of knowledge. Pete
100% behind you on this one.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

they are both a business and a business has to have customers . So in a sense they are competing.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #46
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
they are both a business and a business has to have customers . So in a sense they are competing.
You are absolutely correct from a business point of view. In fact the name of the game with websites is, of course, attracting advertizers. The more people you attrache to your site, the more and better advertizers you get which, in turn brings more visitors.

From my standpoint as a user, I just see all these sites a little like libraries. I can read any article from any of them.

I also think that with OS 4.5 and new phone models being released we need to improve communications as much as possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #47
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

hey pete, i wonder if you can add removal languages module and dynamic_ling to the next version
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #48
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
I had tried to use this with my upgrade (8310) from 4.2.2.194 to 4.5.0.81... but no go. I chose to remove all of the removable items and did the upgrade. It obviously did remove the vendor.xls file, as the upgrade went through, but all of the items were moved to the new OS install on the 8310.

I was forced to fallback the old method - removing the.cod files from the JAVA folder. Fortunately I had already created a batch file to do so, so tweaking the batch file was simple enough...

I am disappointed in the performance of CrackMem 2.4.
I am puzzled by what happened when you ran CrackMem. It has been downloaded over 250 times across 3 sites including this one ans apart from one user who has his Program Files folder on a different dsk from C: nobody else has reported problems.

CrackMem was developped from a series of batch files that I used to use.

I counsel you to read the Help text and to follow the program flow as laid out there. I am sure that you did every thing right but I would like to know how you got the results you did which are clearly not as you expected or, as I intended.

This program works, no doubt BUT if someone has managed to break it then I wish to fix it.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #49
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyubi View Post
hey pete, i wonder if you can add removal languages module and dynamic_ling to the next version
It is easier to remove languages via Desktop Manager. Remember that I am not trying to replace DM here.

What please is ' dynamic_ling '?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #50
aapierre

Pete can you please stop making such good programs.

Crackmem alongside the drip of OS updates is costing me sleep time in staying up and getting the things downloaded and installed.

they are of course good things really but sleep would be good
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #51
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

Quote:
It is easier to remove languages via Desktop Manager. Remember that I am not trying to replace DM here.

What please is ' dynamic_ling '?
dynamic_ling is suretype pre define dictionary, you can search it on java folder of the suretype os devices
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #52
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyubi View Post
dynamic_ling is suretype pre define dictionary, you can search it on java folder of the suretype os devices
Yes, I can remove this but on a per language basis it only takes up between 40 and 300Kb. It seems to be present for both Pearl and Curve devices.

I do not know what this file set does so before I remove it, I shall find out more.

Thanks for the information though.

I shall look into this when I get back from vacation. I am leaving today for 2 weeks.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #53
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
I am puzzled by what happened when you ran CrackMem. It has been downloaded over 250 times across 3 sites including this one ans apart from one user who has his Program Files folder on a different dsk from C: nobody else has reported problems.

CrackMem was developped from a series of batch files that I used to use.

I counsel you to read the Help text and to follow the program flow as laid out there. I am sure that you did every thing right but I would like to know how you got the results you did which are clearly not as you expected or, as I intended.

This program works, no doubt BUT if someone has managed to break it then I wish to fix it.
Pete, I am puzzled, too... and FWIW, my post was intended as informational and NOT complaining or otherwise intending to offend. I have no idea what I did or what happened. As it stands now, my OS is installed and stable, so I won't be playing with it for a while - at least until the next release

The next time I do an install, I will try CrackMem again and see what happens. People have had success with CrackMem, so I chalk this up to 'operator error', until I can document and prove otherwise.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 AM   #54
aapierre

Quote:
I shall look into this when I get back from vacation. I am leaving today for 2 weeks.
enjoy the holiday
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #55
Pete6

Quote:
Pete, I am puzzled, too... and FWIW, my post was intended as informational and NOT complaining or otherwise intending to offend. I have no idea what I did or what happened. As it stands now, my OS is installed and stable, so I won't be playing with it for a while - at least until the next release

The next time I do an install, I will try CrackMem again and see what happens. People have had success with CrackMem, so I chalk this up to 'operator error', until I can document and prove otherwise.
I realized that you were not a rock thrower. There is a known problem when, as I said, the pfogram files folder is not on C:. This will get fixed in the next release.

CrackMem should really be used before you connect your phone or run DM to do the install. It is really just a replacement for dragging files out of the JAva folder manually and you would do that before you started the install.

It is always difficult to use a program like CrackMem correctly since it is slid into an existing manufacturer's installation procedure.

I really want to get to the bottom of this. as I am sure you do.

Please could you have a look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles which is where CrackMem stores the files it removes.

The contents of my RemovedFiles folder is this

8100-v4.5.0.55_P2.7.0.68
8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44
8310-v4.5.0.55_P2.7.0.68
8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72
8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80
Vendor.xml

Which is a list of the OSs installed on my PC. In the 8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72 folder I have 63 files (all .cods). These files are the files that CrackMem has moved from the coresponding Java folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72.

I would be very interested to learn if CrackMem is able to sfift files in an out of the RemovedFiles+OS folder when you select a module to remove and then use Put It Back.

Last edited by Pete6; 08-02-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #56
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Please could you have a look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles which is where CrackMem stores the files it removes.

Which is a list of the OSs installed on my PC. In the 8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72 folder I have 63 files (all .cods). These files are the files that CrackMem has moved from the coresponding Java folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72.
Pete:

This is really strange. The REMOVED FILES subfolder contains another folder [8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44] and the vendor.xml file. This, obviously, was from the previous OS on my Curve. The [8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44] only contains two files:

net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_83xx_320x240.cod
net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod

Yet, despite the contents of the REMOVED FILES, the BB DM did install the 4.5.0.55 OS on the phone.

FWIW, there were only two versions of the OS on my PC - 4.2.2.194 and 4.5.0.55, and the install was done from the C: drive.

Hope that helps... and as I said earlier, don't completely discount the possibility of operator error.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #57
Pete6

Quote:
Pete:

This is really strange. The REMOVED FILES subfolder contains another folder [8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44] and the vendor.xml file. This, obviously, was from the previous OS on my Curve. The [8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44] only contains two files:

net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_83xx_320x240.cod
net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod

Yet, despite the contents of the REMOVED FILES, the BB DM did install the 4.5.0.55 OS on the phone.

FWIW, there were only two versions of the OS on my PC - 4.2.2.194 and 4.5.0.55, and the install was done from the C: drive.

Hope that helps... and as I said earlier, don't completely discount the possibility of operator error.
I had a decision to make when I designed CrackMem. SHould I completly clean up after running and delete any folders (and their contents if the user did not use Put It Back) or, shoul dI just leave the RemovedFiles folder in place with whatever it contained.

I opted for the latter and persued a policy of 'never delete anything'. The logic was that if I deleted stuff, the user would then be unable to ever use a pristine OS again. The downside is, as you have discovered that if you delete and OS from youe system after you have ever used a Remove module with CrackMem then there will be a RemovedFiles folder + an OS folder (in your case, this was 8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44.

At some time I geuss that you had this OS on your PC and used CrackMem and then deleted the OS. This would have left the folders and the files on your disk.

Each OS is kept in its own folder so that the files don't get mixed up. The exception is Vendor.xml which is overwritten in the AppLoader folder each time you install a new OS and is outside my control.

If yo have two OSs install for your phone then Desktop Manager (not CrackMem) will always install the latest valid OS on your phone. This if you have an 8310 (my own phone) and have OS 4.2.2.194 and 4.5.0.69 installed then to upgrade, you just run CrackMem, remove Vendor.xml (as a minimum) and then run DM and that will install .69. To downgrade you MUST uninstall .69 from your phone and then insure that Vendor.xml has been removed prior to trying to downgrade to 4.2.2.194. Which is now the higiest valid OS availabe for installation.

I am sorry that thos post rambles and you are probably going to have to read it a couple of times but I really did want to fully explain what decisions I made and how they are implemented.

Using CrackMem is a little like tryong to butter a sandwich after your have made it. It slides in after installing the OS on the PC and running DM. RIM never planned on CrackMem existing - what bad planning.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #58
fonejunkie
Just me

Pete:

Thanks for the explanation. What you say makes sense, and I totally understand the choices and why you chose the way that you did. It makes perfect sense (and it's early and I only had to read it twice ).

I had tried to install the 4.5.0.55 release once prior - an upgrade which went horribly wrong, largely due to that surreal theme. The initial install (for which I used CrackMem) died about half way through with the dreaded 523 error. (Background: I had installed OS upgrades in the past, but none had ever gone wrong. The surreal theme on 4.2.2.194 was a 'special' theme - and the documentation/PR page warned about using it on 4.5 releases. I was aware of that, and changed the active theme to one of the default 8310 themes prior to attempting the upgrade... but the App Error 523 Reset error problem came from the fact that the theme was even on the phone, and the upgrade puked all over my 8310 when it found the invalid application, as it called it.)

Anyway, I ended up wiping the device (JL_cmdr), removing the 4.5.0.55 OS from my computer and reloading the 4.2.2.194 operating system. Once everything had settled back to normal, I decided to try again. I reinstalled the 4.5.0.55 OS on my PC, ran CrackMem and did the install.

I said all that to show that this particular upgrade event was frock with errors - mostly of the carbon based variety. It is totally possible that the add/wipe/remove/reinstall process confused CrackMem - it certainly confused me

At any rate, I don't blame CrackMem at all for any of my issues... and after having this discussion, I fully understand what is supposed to happen, how/why it does what it does, and I will most definitely be using CrackMem in a more 'uneventful' upgrade attempt next time.

Thanks again for your time, your explanation and for creating CrackMem.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #59
screamace

Carrier: AT&T USA

Pete, thanks for the good work!
CrackMem 2 works flawlessly under Vista x64 for me.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #60
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Sweet App!! Thanks!!
Closed Thread