Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #21
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftv View Post
Which one do you guys have loaded on your phone and like better?
I only have experience with 411.
I replaced both beyond411 and windows live search with poynt. Latest beta will map to both BBMaps and Google Maps.

It will only search yellow pages and movies, but it does that very well.

Check out m.mypoynt.com from your BB.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbforums View Post
I replaced both beyond411 and windows live search with poynt. Latest beta will map to both BBMaps and Google Maps.

It will only search yellow pages and movies, but it does that very well.

Check out m.mypoynt.com from your BB.
I had that on my phone like a month ago and there was a reason why I didn't like it but I don't remember now. What do you like about poynt? What don't you like about that one and the others mentioned?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #23
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I had that on my phone like a month ago and there was a reason why I didn't like it but I don't remember now. What do you like about poynt? What don't you like about that one and the others mentioned?
I keep poynt + WLS + GM on my phone. My reason? I have sat in the parking lot of a business and searched on one search app for it to tell me the closest one in my area is 15 miles away... then a quick search on another app, and sure enough it finds that I am there.

Poynt though, hands down best UI, and best Movie search and ability to share the movie info with contacts.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #24
CELITE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I think what you are referring to is a reverse geocode lookup where you have a gps location and you want to know the nearest address (zip, phone etc), correct? It is something we're adding to Poynt, and will do so for at least regional accuracy. If you want to add your input, use the "Send us Feedback" feature in Poynt. We review and take all user requests seriously.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #25
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Like already mentioned, great UI and movie search. Now that poynt supports Google Maps, there isn't really anything I don't like about it. Plus it is being updated regularly based on user feedback.

Both Beyond411 and Live are good programs, but I only used Beyond411 for Yellowpages and didn't like that is uses Yahoo Maps and I only used Live for movies. Poynt gives me those features in one program that works well.

They are all good programs, and I would try them all and see what you like.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well you guys turned me on to Poynt and WLS so I have those on my phone too. In trying all three of them so far WLS is ahead. I did a simple search to find "Saturn" (as in the cars) and Poynt missed one of the dealers in the listing that was close to me. WLS had all of them and unlike Poynt had them on the top of the list. 411 return zero results. I also see that Poynt got some sponsor links first. If I am driving or on the road I don't need to see that. I do like the 411 interface you type your search right away and bam hopefully you have something then you can do mapping directions movies etc etc. I don't like the layers you have to go through to get what you want. I'm going to give these another week and see how it goes.

Added... I notice with when mapping to google maps it seems that it find where you mapping to but then it recenters itself on where your gps is at.

Last edited by neftv; 08-03-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #27
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

My problem with Windows Live Search is that by using it you agree not to use JiveTalk, IM+ and probably the BlackBerry IM applications to connect to MSN/Windows Live/.NET Messaging because they aren't on the list of authorized clients.

I'd love to try it, but not under those circumstances.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
My problem with Windows Live Search is that by using it you agree not to use JiveTalk, IM+ and probably the BlackBerry IM applications to connect to...
Eh? I did?

Those apps work well regardless of what it thinks I agreed to.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #29
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Actually, there are a couple of things I have problems with in their agreement.

Quoting from the Service Agreement at http://mobile.live.com/wmlup/terms.aspx?mkt=en-US

Quote:
4. How You May Not Use the Service.
In using the service, you may not:

engage in, facilitate or further unlawful conduct;
use the service in a way that harms us or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors, or any customer of ours or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors;
use any portion of the service as a destination linked from any unsolicited bulk messages or unsolicited commercial messages ("spam");
use any unauthorized third party software or service to access the Microsoft instant messaging network (currently known as the .NET Messenger Service);
use any automated process or service to access and/or use the service (such as a BOT, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft, or "meta-searching");
use any unauthorized means to modify or reroute, or attempt to modify or reroute, the service;
damage, disable, overburden, or impair the service (or the network(s) connected to the service) or interfere with anyone's use and enjoyment of the service; or
resell or redistribute the service, or any part of the service.
You can find a list of authorized third-party software at .NET Messenger Service.
I could be wrong, but I'm reading that first part as "You can't use our services (e.g. Messenger) to complain about the crappy service you received from us or anyone we don't want you to badmouth including anyone who's coughed up a couple of bucks to run ads on our search engine."

And the second thing I highlighted is that you can only use MSN/Windows Live/.NET Messenger/Whatever Marketing Dreams Up Next To Sow Confusion with clients from companies that Microsoft has blessed. I don't see BeeJive, SHAPE or even RIM on their list; the third-party section of it consists of 2 companies: NCSoft & Yahoo.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

So MS won't take responsibility if there is a problem, because they told you not to do it.

I'm past it.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #31
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

I came across this software called Tellme I'm going to try that out too.
I think Superpages has a blackberry version too I think they will be next, next week.
Closed Thread