BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #301
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Please Login to Remove!

Is no one here concerned about the $399!!!! on a three year contract. Makes the iPhone a lot more appealling.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #302
mzcourtney
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
Is no one here concerned about the $399!!!! on a three year contract. Makes the iPhone a lot more appealling.
eh, not to me. for 1 this is just hear say. if its not on the rogers site its not official. 2ndly, its official that the bold will be a direct competitor to the iphone. so i'm sure rim has already thought of this. 3rdly, i'll pay the money for the better phone, hands down.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #303
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
You have to remember that the Bold is being marketed towards business executives. (Based upon what RIM has said in the past and now in the present, the faux-leather battery door, all of the talk of executives and luxury in their promotional material, etc.) The Javelin will be for the masses.
Not disagreeing but RIM is stupid if they think that the masses don't need or want a 3g device but execs do. If anything it's the other way around. An exec is not streaming video or music and surfing. They are sending and receiving emails and they certainly don't need 3g for that. RIM needs to rethink it's marketing for the bold.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #304
Battery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (8100 X 1.1111111 = BOLD (soon))

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmovies
Quote:
You have to remember that the Bold is being marketed towards business executives. (Based upon what RIM has said in the past and now in the present, the faux-leather battery door, all of the talk of executives and luxury in their promotional material, etc.) The Javelin will be for the masses.
Not disagreeing but RIM is stupid if they think that the masses don't need or want a 3g device but execs do. If anything it's the other way around. An exec is not streaming video or music and surfing. They are sending and receiving emails and they certainly don't need 3g for that. RIM needs to rethink it's marketing for the bold.
They want 3G for receiving a email during a hour long conference call though.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #305
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmovies View Post
Just look at the iPhone if you think 3G. Their market is mostly for "the masses" and their device will benefit from 3G more than a BB for a business email person (browsing is the iPhone's forte). Nobody really has to end a call to read an email message, they're never THAT urgent.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #306
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Just look at the iPhone if you think 3G. Their market is mostly for "the masses" and their device will benefit from 3G more than a BB for a business email person (browsing is the iPhone's forte). Nobody really has to end a call to read an email message, they're never THAT urgent.
So you're saying you agree with me? Lol.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #307
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
To now get another bb device that's not 3g. Not for me.
Unless 3G radios double the price or the weight, or half the battery life, it makes no sense to release a device now without 3G. RIM already suffers from a perception of capability deficiency among the masses, why would you reinforce that by releasing a device that is actually capability deficient.

Quote:
You have to remember that the Bold is being marketed towards business executives. The Javelin will be for the masses.
I'd say it's the other way around. Companies don't want to pay for 3G browsing or $400 per handset, so they'd go with the Javelin. Consumers who like toys are the ones who will pony-up for the Bold.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #308
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLoveMobile View Post
Unless 3G radios double the price or the weight, or half the battery life, it makes no sense to release a device now without 3G. RIM already suffers from a perception of capability deficiency among the masses, why would you reinforce that by releasing a device that is actually capability deficient..
Why are you quoting me regarding this? I said that I wouldn't want to buy another bb device that doesn't have 3g.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #309
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Why are you quoting me regarding this? I said that I wouldn't want to buy another bb device that doesn't have 3g.
I quoted you because I agree with you and wanted to reinforce the fact. Maybe I should've actually used the words "I agree", my bad.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #310
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I quoted you because I agree with you and wanted to reinforce the fact. Maybe I should've actually used the words "I agree", my bad.

I thought so but wasn't sure. Lol.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #311
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post

We tend to conduct hour long conference calls from our landlines in the office ;)

This is of absolutely no value to me as a businessperson.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #312
Battery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post

We tend to conduct hour long conference calls from our landlines in the office ;)

This is of absolutely no value to me as a businessperson.
I'm thinking of outside sales staff.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #313
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

as a business person myself... yes i would love to be able to get an email while on a call... i use my BB for both personal and business so if i am on a hour long call with family i would love to be able to reply to an email that comes in
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #314
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Wouldn't this go beyond email during a phone call? I use JiveTalk heavily to keep in touch with my employees, contractors and various associates, and it would be nice to be able to continue chats while on the phone, especially a phone call taking place via Bluetooth.

My job is 99% office remote, and I deal with many clients via email and phone, I have it happen 2-3 -per day- that a client sends an email during a phone call that relates to the phone call (ie. updated quotes, screen captures, pricing calculators, etc.). The data tx while on a call is at the top of my short list for reasons to get a Bold.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #315
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
as a business person myself... yes i would love to be able to get an email while on a call... i use my BB for both personal and business so if i am on a hour long call with family i would love to be able to reply to an email that comes in
Correct me if I'm wrong... if I'm on a call now with my 8320 on EDGE, are data services interrupted? I don't get mail/can't use data while on the phone?

If that's the case, and 3G allows data services to continue uninterrupted, then I take back what I said, and can see the value to business for the Bold over the Javelin.

That given, I see even less reason why RIM would want to release another GSM device without 3G capability. Isn't "always-on" the key to BB over other devices, so "always-on-except-during-calls" would be something they'd want to avoid?

Last edited by KeyLoveMobile; 08-04-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #316
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (AWESOM-O)

KeyLoveMonile, that is correct. Only with 3G can you have simultaneous voice and data connections.
Just to confirm, if I'm on an ssh session, and I get all call, the session will get dropped (assuming the call is long enough)? So Jivetalk, etc also lose connectivity?

What impact does that have on WiFi connections?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #317
jenz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

if i'm correct - i have an 8820 - i still keep my data connection live (wifi) while i'm on a phone call (EDGE). i can test tonight to make sure but do *think* the dual mode (assuming one is wifi) work this way.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #318
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Just to confirm, if I'm on an ssh session, and I get all call, the session will get dropped (assuming the call is long enough)? So Jivetalk, etc also lose connectivity?

What impact does that have on WiFi connections?
Yes you will loose all data related connection through GPRS/EDGE but if on wifi I think the connection stays on. Now let's get back on topic about when the bold will be released on Rogers.

Last edited by carsmovies; 08-04-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #319
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

If I am on a series of calls that are all over 4-5 minutes, I will logout, and then log back into JiveTalk. I have had associates ask why I login/logout so much, when really its me losing Data TX while on calls.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #320
cspec

PIN: Yes please!

omy... i want the phone now ahhhhhh
lets go to rogers and hijack them and give them out to all the bbf people
Closed Thread