Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat7 View Post
What is TeNAV and how do I get it?
If you're with Verizon, then it won't do you any good. There is a rumor that if you have a business account, you MIGHT be able to use TeleNav. But if you have an individual account, then it quite simply won't work.

Update: See my post below. I didn't go quite far enough. It won't work without an external BT GPS device, on Verizon.

Last edited by squeff; 07-13-2008 at 08:48 AM..
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Verizon has their own specific version of TeleNav. You can get it.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #23
squeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Verizon has their own specific version of TeleNav. You can get it.
Yes, however I believe it requires an external Bluetooth GPS device. It does not work with the built-in GPS unit on the Blackberry.

TeleNav GPS Navigator - Verizon FAQ's

In any case, the answer to the original question: you can get it from telenav.com.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #24
netguydave

PIN: N/A

I don't get it. If I have to buy a seperate Bluetooth GPS device just to get GPS coordinates on my 8830? Why do they state that the 8830 is GPS enabled? Is this just a sales ploy? What am I missing? I should be able to load any mapping software I want (that is ported for BB) and the internal GPS should be able to use it - with or without data connection. GPS signals are free and BB states this device is GPS enabled so....again...what am I missing? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

The Verizon GPS is locked to only work with VZ Navigator, and is Assisted GPS which uses cell towers to reference a starting point to search for satellites.

I hope that is right I just read a nice big thing from Mark Rejhon (spelling?) about it.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #26
netguydave

(411:I don't have VZ Navigator) So...when I'm using Google Maps and it shows my location, kind of, I'm just receiving cell tower positioning data? I'm not really using the GPS feature on my 8830 yet?

I have my GPS set to GPS Data Source=Device GPS and GPS Services=Location On
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

That is correct. Google Maps is using cell tower triangulation
Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguydave View Post
I don't get it. If I have to buy a seperate Bluetooth GPS device just to get GPS coordinates on my 8830? Why do they state that the 8830 is GPS enabled? Is this just a sales ploy? What am I missing? I should be able to load any mapping software I want (that is ported for BB) and the internal GPS should be able to use it - with or without data connection. GPS signals are free and BB states this device is GPS enabled so....again...what am I missing? Thanks.
Verizon is probably being purposefully ambiguous. There is a gps in the device which can help them/police find you in an emergency. Whether that "gps" is also the one used by Verizon's Navigator, I'm not sure. But you canNOT use whatever gps is inside the unit unless you subscribe to Navigator.

Google maps can triangulate using cell towers and gives varying distances depending on where you/towers are in relation to one another.

Some folks purchase a separate gps puck with bluetooth to use other gps applications/google for more accurancy.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #29
netguydave

It's kind of like buying an HD TV but unless you buy the HD service you really aren't going to be able to use the "HD" feature. I wasn't aware that the 8830 GPS was an additional Verizon purchase. I wonder what other feature I'm hoping to use that I can't without buying more services from Verizon.

I do a lot of back country hiking (in Colorado). Obviously there is no cell tower coverage for the Data plan to work out here. If I get the bluetooth GPS puck can I then install mapping software for trail hiking and get GPS satalite positioning on my BB in the back country? Any ideas on what BB friendly trail hiking software works well - without a monthly service fee? Trimble isn't supported on Verizon and it has a monthly fee.

This is all new to me. My Dell Axim (PDA) allows me to install any Windows Mobile GPS aware mapping software I want, use it without any service fees, and do all the GPS tracking I want - forever. I dont care about all the fluff Verizon may be offering, like where is the closest Starbuck's to me at any moment in my life. I just want to put in my Lat. Long. info. in and get there.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
squeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguydave View Post
This is tricky. Verizon hasn't (at least in the last year), advertised GPS in the 8830. Their ads and the web site never use the term "GPS." What they do say is that the are "VZNavigator capable" and then they have fine print that says that some features cost extra.

RIM's specs say that there is GPS in the 8830, but they also say that capabilities vary by carrier.

So, no one ever said that your Verizon 8830 was "GPS enabled." At least, no one that has a stake in this (Verizon and RIM) and has lawyers.

That aside, there IS a GPS unit in the 8830. Verizon enables it for E911 use and they use it (along with other technologies) to support VZN. It cannot be accessed by other programs, such as Google Maps or Blackberry Maps. So far, I've not heard of anyone figuring a way to hack it.

What is the "other technologies"? Verizon uses "assisted GPS," where they get additional information from sources other than GPS satellites to get more accuracy. I won't go into the details here, but the "assisted" part uses Verizon's network. As such, they can claim (whether we agree or not) that third party GPS products pose a security risk. So far, this statement (and the lack of any advertisements that say that 3rd party GPS apps can be used) has kept them from losing any lawsuits.

As someone else explained, Google Maps can also use cell tower triangulation. In a dense tower area, this can work reasonably well. But it's not as accurate as GPS (or assisted GPS, which is even more accurate). It's good enough for getting a basic sense of where you are.

The nice thing about triangulation is that it works as long as you have access to the towers. GPS requires a view of the satellite, and therefore doesn't work indoors or under thick tree cover. In theory, if you can get voice service, triangulation can work. Your mileage may vary, though.

If you don't have a data plan or can't get data access (e.g., roaming in certain areas), then software like Google Maps won't work anyone. The maps are not stored locally. As such, even if you had GPS, it wouldn't do you any good, if you wanted the maps. On the other hand, as a hiker, you may be carrying maps with you in another form (paper) and all you need may be to get lat/long coordinates. Alternatively, Garmin sells software that stores maps locally on your Blackberry. To use it with Verizon, you'll need an external Bluetooth GPS "puck."

In the end, if you're a hiker that relies on a GPS unit to keep from starving, don't rely on a cell phone. Get yourself a self-contained Garmin or other manufacturer's device. There are many models, ranging from ones that simply give you coordinates to ones that have detailed maps devoted to hikers. Remember, Google Maps and the like only show roads. They do not show any details regarding what's going on in the woods or other places where their cartography supplier hasn't physically driven.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

TrekBuddy (?) would work with a Bluetooth GPS puck, and stores the maps on the media card
Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #32
netguydave

Squeff. You are correct. I reread all the info. on the BB site regarding the 8830 and it all states "GPS Capable..." something and something. After reading all the cool stuff the 8830 GPS can do I assumed it was included. I gotta start reading that fine print.

Thanks for not burning me on my not so accurate comments. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is very courteous - even when you've done wrong.

Quote:
That aside, there IS a GPS unit in the 8830. Verizon enables it for E911 use and they use it (along with other technologies) to support VZN. It cannot be accessed by other programs, such as Google Maps or Blackberry Maps. So far, I've not heard of anyone figuring a way to 'hack it'.
I wonder if GPSed has found a way to hack it or if they are just using cell tower triangulation.

Quote:
Garmin sells software that stores maps locally on your Blackberry. To use it with Verizon, you'll need an external Bluetooth GPS "puck."
That's what I needed to know. Very cool. Thanks.

Quote:
In the end, if you're a hiker that relies on a GPS unit to keep from starving, don't rely on a cell phone. Get yourself a self-contained Garmin or other manufacturer's device. There are many models, ranging from ones that simply give you coordinates to ones that have detailed maps devoted to hikers. Remember, Google Maps and the like only show roads. They do not show any details regarding what's going on in the woods or other places where their cartography supplier hasn't physically driven.
You are correct. I should get a dedicated GPS device for hiking. My girlfriend and I are always "on trail" so it is hard to get lost, (but not impossible). But she keeps asking me "how far do you think we've gone?". It's hard to justify buying another device just to answer her question, accurately. We get cell service at 13,000ft + so it's nice to call friends and family from the top and razz them about having to work while were're enjoying life I haven't had the BB up that high yet so I'm not sure about the data service.

NickfromIL: I'll check out Trekbuddy as well. Thanks.

Thanks for helping me better understand the GPS in my 8830. Your time spent replying is greatly appreciated. Netguydave

Last edited by netguydave; 08-06-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #33
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Just for additional info: Garmin's BB software supposedly does NOT run on Verizon BB's. Now, whether it works with a separate gps puck is unknown and when I called and asked Garmin, they could no answer the question, going back to the script that it does not work on Verizon BBs. That may be because the internal gps is locked.

Trekbuddy works but you do have to assemble the maps on a computer and have to have advanced knowledge to know where you will be going. GPSed works without data as long as you don't want to see your track online. You can convert their format to garmin/googleearth.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
netguydave

Thanks for the additional info.. Very helpful. Thank You.
Closed Thread