BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Foley471

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default LED comes on red, then nothing... HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

There's a couple parts to this question.

So, about a month ago, my wife tells me our 1 Year old dunked her phone in water. I panic, and call T-Mob about a replacement, they tell me I'm screwed.

I get home, phone is fine. phone was in the holster and apparetly the hardware never got wet. works perfectly, water strip is white as a ghost. I call T-Mob and tell them false alarm, they laugh, notate the account and we move on.

wake up yesterday, her phone won't turn on. I pull the battery, put it back in, and I get the red LED for a few seconds, then nothing. So, I let it sit overnight, same thing next morning. so, I followed a video I found on YouTube and disassembled the thing to see if there was moisture... and I found none.

Now, is it possible this is a delayed water damage thing? Is there an internal water damage indicator I'm just not seeing that could tell me? What else could be wrong with this thing? I would call T-Mob, but I'm pretty much terrified they're going to just say it's water damage without even looking at the thing and charge me full price because of the issue last month, and I cannot afford another one at full price.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums.

It doesn't sound like water/moisture is the culprit here.

Instead, this may be what you need, if a battery pull reboot is not doing it for you:
How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

There is a moisture indicator by the battery.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Foley471

JSanders, thank you for the words of welcome!

I tried the Jl_Cmder software, and it was able to connect and wipe the device, but it still has the same issue. When I put the battery in, I get the red LED for a moment, then absolutely nothing. Windows does detect the BB is connected, and assigns it as removable disc (K, but my blackberry software doesn't recognize there's a BB connected.

NCBuckeye, I thank you for the quick reply. I did see that moisture indicator, but I was wondering if there was a second, hidden moisture strip inside the phone I could check while I had it disassembled.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
evenmosbek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: several
Carrier: Trigcom

Bricked?

useful guide: How to clean you Blackberry trackball
Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
JLeny
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24751c48
Carrier: T Mobile

That white sticker is near the battery is very very sensitive, even the slightest moisture will turn it red so it doesn't sound like water damage is the issue here.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley471 View Post
JSanders, thank you for the words of welcome!

I tried the Jl_Cmder software, and it was able to connect and wipe the device, but it still has the same issue. When I put the battery in, I get the red LED for a moment, then absolutely nothing. Windows does detect the BB is connected, and assigns it as removable disc (K, but my blackberry software doesn't recognize there's a BB connected.

NCBuckeye, I thank you for the quick reply. I did see that moisture indicator, but I was wondering if there was a second, hidden moisture strip inside the phone I could check while I had it disassembled.
It won't recognize it after you do a wipe. Just install the OS you want to use on to your PC, delete the vendor.xml, and then connect the BB, open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. It will detect it and ask if you want to load the OS on to your phone.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Foley471

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm View Post
It won't recognize it after you do a wipe. Just install the OS you want to use on to your PC, delete the vendor.xml, and then connect the BB, open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. It will detect it and ask if you want to load the OS on to your phone.
OK, did that, and reinstalled the latest 8320 OS4.5. After I disconnected the device I'm having the same issue. battery goes in, red light comes on, then nothing else. I restarted the BB software, and it still doesn't recognize the BB for Synchronizing. However, when I click add/remove applications, it does acknowledge my unit's PIN as being connected. When I tried running add/remove applications, however, it locks up on "Connect to the JVM".

Anything else I can try?

Edited to add... connecting to the JVM took 20 minutes, but it actually did, and now the unit is synced, but the screen is still dead. Any way I can test wether the LCD is burned out (replaceable) or the connector on the mobo (bricked)?

Last edited by Foley471; 08-07-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
ichanz

Model: 8310
PIN: 2527BE3A
Carrier: XL

has anyone solve this problem,
i have the same problem after try to upgrade to v4.5,
is brick my bb8310, it's said reconnecting to JVM

i try to downgrade to 4.2 is work,

but if i upgrade again,
the same problem appear
Closed Thread