Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
MEAN1

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Question HHHEEELLLPPP!!! Corrupt Contact List

Please Login to Remove!

I have no idea what happened here..... I recieved a call from a client today however the name that was assigned to the phone number in my contacts was incorrect. I check my other contacts and found that every single info in my contact list had been wrong... What has happened for an unknown reason is the phone numbers, address and company info have been swapped between my contacts and now I have no way of knowing which number belongs to what contact. For example: When I check the contact info for my brother the phone number that is listed is actually my friends and his contact info has is now under someone elses name. I have over 100 contacts and it seems like every single one is wrong. Any help, idea, info will be great appreciated. This is my first time posting sorry if I have made any mistakes. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Are you on BES or BIS, do you sync with desktop manager? If so are they correct on the PC?

And welcome!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
MEAN1

I think I am on BIS not a business user... I was syncing using Yahoo contacts and calendar and unfortunantly after syncing today all the info on the Yahoo contacts list got screwed up as well. However I am positive that initially the info got corrupt on the BB and not Yahoo. The Calendar info is correct and current on the BB and Yahoo.

Last edited by MEAN1; 08-12-2008 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: More info that may be usefull.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

This would be a first I have ever heard of this. I honestly don't know how something like you describe could ever happen. While I would never say it is impossible, I do think it is highly unlikely for the BB to swap phone numbers like this.

First off, is there anything at all common about the data swap? Are all the contacts and addresses correct, except for the name--on each record.

If you have correct the list, do so on your PC, on the Yahoo site where it is easier to correct rather than on the BB. And then sync again to update the BB.

Still, very very strange.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
MEAN1

After printing all my contacts It seems like the only things that are being changed is the phone numbers and company names.. The emails did not change. And all phone numbers stick together when changed so if the info of contact 1 and contact 2 have been swapped the emails stay but the mobile and business numbers move.. Also on 4 of my 107 contacts now have duplicates 1 of the duplicates is the correct info while the other is incorrect.

Last edited by MEAN1; 08-12-2008 at 01:39 AM..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I would seriously lean to an issue in the sync from Yahoo.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
MEAN1

Per verizon rep problem is related to the device. They are not sure why it happens but it does to maybe .0001% of the users.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange

I understand the Verizon rep told you that, but I'm skeptical.

If this were a device issue, it would need to be a fundamental database implementation problem on the device. This would end up effecting all users.

Now if it's a issue with the sync software and a certain combination of events or hardware (read PC) configs. then it could happen to the small percentage of users. I might be wrong, but this is totally where I would look...
Closed Thread