BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #101
dofficer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I noticed there's a problem getting emails from other BB using web client email like sprint.blackberry.net, etc. I'm able to received email but unable to reply. The "using" status shows as Unknown. I have to compose a new email to response back to the email instead of using reply.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #102
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

And so the whole painless migration turns into a frikkin disaster...Thanks for nothing T-mobile...
Old 10-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #103
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Ok I got all the email now. It just started coming in. I seem to be in good shape now.

Now the problem is that I can not get into the email configuration site under my.t-mobile.com ... its down.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #104
jwasnick

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Update: All systems appear to be working for me now!!!!! Email is flowing to the 7290 within a few seconds/minutes from IMAP account. Thank you T-Mobile for turning this around.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #105
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Next time one of your calls TMO, can you please ask them about POP vs. IMAP? Specifically, why does IMAP have the same 15-minute (or whatever it is) wait time as POP. It should not be that way.

I tried to call myself but the person I spoke to didn't know what POP and IMAP were... and then I had to hang as I was late for a meeting.

Thanks,

Code7700

P.S. Just tell the support people, "You know, RFC 3501."

P.P.S. One strange thing I noticed (can you guys confirm or deny this) is that if I did "delete on mailbox and handheld" it did just that. But if I deleted the message on the mailbox (from the mail client or web interface) it would not remove it from the handheld. So it is more like "sort-of-sync".

Last edited by code7700; 10-03-2005 at 04:11 PM..
Old 10-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #106
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet
Now the problem is that I can not get into the email configuration site under my.t-mobile.com ... its down.
Freaky, the whole menu is gone from the "My T-Mobile" page.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #107
jwasnick

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by code7700
Next time one of your calls TMO, can you please ask them about POP vs. IMAP? Specifically, why does IMAP have the same 15-minute (or whatever it is) wait time as POP. It should not be that way.

I tried to call myself but the person I spoke to didn't know what POP and IMAP were... and then I had to hang as I was late for a meeting.

Thanks,

Code7700

P.S. Just tell the support people, "You know, RFC 3501."

P.P.S. One strange thing I noticed (can you guys confirm or deny this) is that if I did "delete on mailbox and handheld" it did just that. But if I deleted the message on the mailbox (from the mail client or web interface) it would not remove it from the handheld. So it is more like "sort-of-sync".
In response to your PPS: I confirmed that when you delete on the device with the option of "on mailbox and handheld" it DOES delete on your mailbox and handheld. When you delete from your mail client, it leaves it on the handheld.

don't know about your POP mail question. I only use IMAP. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #108
AlexanderA

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

The menu option appears in My T-Mobile:
"SET UP BLACKBERRY INTERNET E-MAIL" but the service appears down with the following message:
We're sorry. The service you requested is temporarily unavailable from T-Mobile.com. Please check back later.

It still takes up to 30 min for the message forwarded from zoneedit.com and gmail.com to get to my @tmo.blackberry.net address and to appear on the handheld. The delivery time also varies wildly..
Old 10-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #109
aaronpaul

Carrier: T-mobile

I'm using POP email, no IMAP or BES, etc. I have 4 pop accounts that are consolidated on my device. I see that each account now has its own Service Book (including the user @tmo.blackberry.net accnt). however, there is still a "Web Client" service book too. Isn't this what they got rid of? I'm assuming then that one could delete this service book so that it doens't show up in the list of "from" addresses when composing a new message??? I can still send from that address and it has retained my settings from the old web client, but there is no way to change those sttings now.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #110
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnick
don't know about your POP mail question. I only use IMAP. Sorry.
That was my point. I set up a POP account and IMAP account and both seem to poll once every 10-15 minutes. IMAP should be much faster (and frequent) than POP (in theory, it should be real-time).

Speaking of IMAP, here is an odd one: When I do MAIL > VIEW FOLDERS... I see WEB CLIENT with Inbox, Draft, Sent, Trash. Aren't those supposed to go bye-bye with BWC?

Lastly, I noticed a bug in the handheld configuraiton for E-mail accounts... you can only change/remove your signature on the web site, not from the unit itself.

Last edited by code7700; 10-03-2005 at 05:39 PM..
Old 10-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #111
JamesR

Model: 7280

Quote:
Speaking of IMAP, here is an odd one: When I do MAIL > VIEW FOLDERS... I see WEB CLIENT with Inbox, Draft, Sent, Trash. Aren't those supposed to go bye-bye with BWC?
I don't think so. Those are the BIS folders, aka the ones associated with your [email address] account.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #112
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
I don't think so. Those are the BIS folders, aka the ones associated with your [email address] account.
I am not using BIS/BWC anymore. How do I get rid of it? My unit doesn't seemt o know about them (the unit only shows "using" for IMAP account and BES account [work]). Is there a service book I need to kill?

Last edited by code7700; 10-03-2005 at 11:47 PM..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #113
merlinw

Model: 8100

Just got home from work, during the day, I recieved 6 emails, none in the afternoon.
checking my gmail acct there were 18 messages. 12 were not forwarded to me.

I really would like some sort of credit (free minutes, whatever) I bought the BB for the email, ect. at this point, it is just a fancy phone!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:12 AM   #114
aaronpaul

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
I am not using BIS/BWC anymore. How do I get rid of it? My unit doesn't seemt o know about them (the unit only shows "using" for IMAP account and BES account [work]). Is there a service book I need to kill?
I deleted the "Web Client" service book. The option to send from that account is now gone, but the mail folders are still there. Sending "from" the [email address] account does not populate those folders, it's only the old stuff from before the "upgrade"
Old 10-04-2005, 02:17 AM   #115
NickRWin

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I have two options for sending "Using": Web Client and user@tmo...

I tried sending from both, and both work, including Auto-BCC. The only differences are:

1. In the Internet headers of the messages, using Web Client, the return-address is my TMO e-mail, not my user-defined reply-to address. Not a problem generally as most e-mail programs use the latter.

2. Using "user@tmo...", the message does not appear in Sent Items (Alt-S). It shows up in the Mail list of messages with a checkmark, but viewing folder Sent Items, it is missing. According the the message header on the BlackBerry, its location is "Outbox", but it does not seem possible to view this folder.

[Of note, all messages forwarded to user@tmo... now show up as having arrived using "user@tmo..." whereas prior to the upgrade, they show up as using "Web Client"]

I have not tried deleting the Web Client service book, partly because I still have a lot of old messages on the BlackBerry that predate the changeover.

Anyone have any thoughts on all of the above?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #116
Abbey

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
That was my point. I set up a POP account and IMAP account and both seem to poll once every 10-15 minutes. IMAP should be much faster (and frequent) than POP (in theory, it should be real-time).

Lastly, I noticed a bug in the handheld configuraiton for E-mail accounts... you can only change/remove your signature on the web site, not from the unit itself.
You lost me. Why should the IMAP poll rate be faster? My message delivery times seem to be the same for IMAP and POP, same as before the upgrade.

I don't think the BBs support of the DeskTop account's folders is going away. The upgrade dropped the web access in TMO's My E-mail. I still have my Desktop folders and they are still getting populated as expected.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #117
Abbey

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouwj
I can't find where to do this. I don't see filters as an option on my t-moblie.
The filters are still on the TMO web site. Log in to your account and click the "My e-mail Accounts" link. There is a Filter icon next to each email account.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #118
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Hopefully this won't bore you too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey
You lost me. Why should the IMAP poll rate be faster?
IMAP should be faster since unlike POP, IMAP has support for both connected and disconnected modes of operation. In other words, the BIS server can stay "attached" to your IMAP server (and it is super low bandwidth). Using IMAP, the BIS server can "watch" for new mail and should be able to instantly notify you.

IMAP connections are generally long-lived compared to POP connections (but low bandwidth). When a user connects to IMAP to download messages, the connection is usually maintained until the user quits or the connection times out. In contrast, a POP connection is usually closed as soon as the POP request has been serviced.

IMAP connections are generally very efficient compared to POP connections. Each POP reconnection requires re-authentication of the user. In contrast, an IMAP connection requires only a single authentication because the connection remains open for the duration of the IMAP session (login to logout). POP connections involve much greater performance overhead than IMAP connections.

Even if a BIS server had a few thousand accounts running on it, I don't think a slew of IMAP connections would kill it. On the flip side, POP is very intensive, and it is why they limit POP to every 15-minutes (to distribute the pain).

IMAP also has support for multiple clients simultaneously connected to the same mailbox, so BIS can watch your mailbox, but you can also use your client (Outlook) at home and they won't "fight" with each other. This isn't true with POP mail.

IMAP has support for access to MIME parts of messages and partial fetch. MIME allows messages to have a tree structure where the leaf nodes are any of a variety of single part content types and the non-leaf nodes are any of a variety of multipart types. The IMAP4 protocol allows clients to separately retrieve any of the individual MIME parts and also to retrieve portions of either individual parts or the entire message. These mechanisms allow clients to retrieve the text portion of a message without retrieving attached files or to stream content as it's being fetched.

IMAP has support for message state information to be kept on the server. Through the use of flags defined in the IMAP4 protocol clients can keep track of message state, for example whether or not the message has been read, replied to, or deleted. These flags are stored on the server, so multiple clients accessing the same mailbox at different times can detect state changes made by other clients.

And lots of other reasons.

To make a long story short, BIS can maintain a "live" connection to your IMAP box (using next to no bandwidth) and instantly alert you to a new message. This is not something POP can handle. Likewise, IMAP gives you the ability to read and write to seperate mailboxes (sent, deleted, friends, work, etc.) and in theory you should be able to see all your remote IMAP boxes via your BlackBerry but still not have to copy a single E-mail to a T-mobile (or RIM) server... they simply relay the information to your handheld (a few bytes of text over the air). POP on the otherhand needs to actually copy messages, and not just bits and parts, but the whole thing. As far as I recall, POP only understands "headers" and "full messages". IMAP can see "parts".

Mind you, I'm not a IMAP or POP expert, this is just what I've picked up over the years. If I've got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #119
code7700
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, one follow-up to my own message... I found someting odd:

If you go to MAIL > OPTIONS > EMAIL RECONCILIATION and change (for your IMAP folder) WIRELESS RECONCILE and press save, it says:

Disabling wireless reconciliation also disables editing of redirected folders on the device.

What redirected folders are they speaking of? I only see my INBOX.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #120
Xipper

Carrier: Tmobile USA

Everything seems to be working for me now. I had a problem with it telling me a couple of my accounts were invalid, and then I'd add them in and it would validate it..then 20 minutes later I'd get a message saying the account wasn't valid. I am writing this off to them performing maintenance while I was setting it up.

Now I have my BIS account, a OWA account, a Gmail account and my BES account all operating. I like having seperate "from" addresses for each account now, the option of auto-bcc is nice for the accounts that it can't place the message in a "sent" box for (just tmo bis, in my case). So far, it seems to work as it should.

I do have one complaint, and that is the loss of the ability to 'filter' BIS email out of the handheld's inbox. I appreciated filtering everything to a respective folder, for some reason I always get annoyed by having a long list of messages in the inbox...perhaps its because it makes it more difficult to find the one message I am seeking.

Now, if the BIS could only bridge the calendar synchronization between my 2 Exhange systems (BES + OWA) I could forget about the lack of folder support for BIS accounts.

I also upgraded to the latest OS during this, at first the BB died and I had to do a javaloader wipe...then did the install again and all seems to be well. The interface seems to be faster with the new OS, I have to charge my BT headset so I can test it tomorrow.
Closed Thread