BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
agent_samsonite

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Exclamation Need advice,sending damaged phone to Asurion

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everybody, how are you? I was wondering if I could get some advice from anybody who might have had experience with Asurion. So heres my story:

Im a T-mobile customer with the bb 8100 model. Ive been with them for 2 years and this is the first problem Ive had, I had lost my phone. I called Asurion and recieved a refurbished one and it worked for a day and a half. The phone's sound has stopped working properly as well as me being unable to adjust the volume of calls because the side buttons arent working. I called Asurion and went through their troubleshooting and they said Id be recieving a NEW 8100 and to send the old one back and they would look at it. They said I would be charged 100 bucks if they found any physical damage to it. I told her that my concern about that is what if the phone I recieved already had a problem when I received it and that my daily movement like walking and taking it out of my case may had made it worse. She said that it probably wont be a problem because they will take into account that Ive only had it for a day and a half. That was yesterday, today I take my battery out to do a hard reset and notice someting fall out. Ive seen this part before and it looks like the chip underneath the side buttons on the right side of the phone, the one you use to adjust volume. My question FINALLY is, should I put the broken piece back in the hole it fell from, should I keep it, or should I call them and tel lthem this piece fell out. I didnt drop the phone so its not my fault but I dont want them thinking that I did drop it and this piece broke off. Can anybody offer advice to what the best option is to avoid being shafted another 100 bucks? Thanks everybody!!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Is that piece broken off of, or can you replace it back?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i would need to soldered back on if anything... no other way to get that piece back "on"
Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
KimMazz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I have asurion. My son dropped his phone in a parking lot and it was destroyed. I called and told them I needed a new phone and I didn't get charge $100.00. I have gotten about 4 replacements from them - don't ask, a very irresponsible 19 yr old in college. But, I never got charged. I do know they have a policy that only allows for 2 claims on one phone in a year.

That sounds odd to me, but YMMV.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMazz View Post
I have asurion. My son dropped his phone in a parking lot and it was destroyed. I called and told them I needed a new phone and I didn't get charge $100.00. I have gotten about 4 replacements from them - don't ask, a very irresponsible 19 yr old in college. But, I never got charged. I do know they have a policy that only allows for 2 claims on one phone in a year.

That sounds odd to me, but YMMV.
2 claims per year is reasonable. Try making a bunch of claims with auto insurance in a year they will drop you in a heart beat.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
agent_samsonite

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks guys for the help. : ) Yes that piece was broken off, the thing is I would open it up and put it back on but I dont want to risk it in case they have a warranty sticker hidden on the inside, know what I mean? I first had to pay the 100 dollar premium to replace the phone after I told them I had lost it, I just dont want to pay another 100 dollars for this new problem because they think I brok the phone.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

As far as I know the only stickers on the inside are liquid damage indicators-so, if you didn't get it wet, you should be OK.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I wouldn't chance opening it up. Maybe the reason it fell out is some other bigger problem in there. If not, there are just too many things that could go wrong after opening the case.

Plus, what if you put the part back in and it starts working fine?

I would choose between calling them and telling them that some loose part fell out, or just not returning the part.

Since the problem you reported seems consistent with the part you're talking about, either one should be ok. I'd lean toward telling them, but it is an insurance company so it could be a crap shoot.
Closed Thread