Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T
Default The Lawsuit

Please Login to Remove!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=16932 (posted by jibi)

I know that many people have seen this, but I just want to hear what others have to say about this. It seems as though many of us could ultimately be effected. I want to get other people's views and wanna know if anyone has heard anything. I called T-Mobile this afternoon about a contingency, if the blackberries do go offline. They said they didnt know anything about it, but I think they are just keeping it quite. My friend who works for Verizon Wireless said they are scrambling to get things prepared for customers that may be effected. I dont know, but it's certainly interesting.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just out of curiosity, I sent an email to my Nextel account rep. He advised that Nextel has absolutely no fear of service interruption.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

That's good to hear. I wonder if they are talking about taking down the Blackberry Enterprise Server. I guess we will know when the phones stop working.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

There won't be any service interuption... It's the media blowing thougs out of proportion as usual.

They came to an agreement to the tune of 450 huge. NTL realized that with how quickly RIM accepted the amount they should have went for more. Now NTL is getting slammed again and is facing losing even more.

There will be 1 of 2 conclusions to this...

1. The courts will decide a lower number than 450 huge, and NTL will be all but forced to accept this.

2. RIM has been working on new technology that doesn't infringe on the patents, and will make a switch to this, dragging things on in court until there is no case left.

Either way, there is nothing for anyone other than NTL to worry about. They had their chance, got greedy and are gonna suffer for that. Users will not see an outtage because of it.

Does anyone really think that the carriers and/or RIM will shut things down even if they are told to? Kinda like the DOJ asking Microsoft to be more friendly and do this, that and the other thing... Microsoft just laughed at the DOJ... RIM will just laugh at NTL.

cd.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

That is good to hear. It would seem particularly strange if blackberries just disapeared from the United States. That's comforting to hear. Thanks.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI", Part IV
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

HAHAHA Good one.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
There won't be any service interuption... It's the media blowing thougs out of proportion as usual.

They came to an agreement to the tune of 450 huge. NTL realized that with how quickly RIM accepted the amount they should have went for more. Now NTL is getting slammed again and is facing losing even more.

There will be 1 of 2 conclusions to this...

1. The courts will decide a lower number than 450 huge, and NTL will be all but forced to accept this.

2. RIM has been working on new technology that doesn't infringe on the patents, and will make a switch to this, dragging things on in court until there is no case left.

Either way, there is nothing for anyone other than NTL to worry about. They had their chance, got greedy and are gonna suffer for that. Users will not see an outtage because of it.

Does anyone really think that the carriers and/or RIM will shut things down even if they are told to? Kinda like the DOJ asking Microsoft to be more friendly and do this, that and the other thing... Microsoft just laughed at the DOJ... RIM will just laugh at NTL.

cd.
Yes but Microsoft was also fined 1 million per day until they complied with the changes. Might have been more but atleast 1 mil a day. Granted to MS that is like a fine to us of 1 buck not a big deal. But in the end they did have to comply and also did pay the fines.

Rim might not shut them down if told but if LOCAL us carries dont they can and will be fined and who do you think will win a local carrier or the goverment. If it becomes a court order the carriers in the US will have no choice or thier whole enquiptment can be taken and impounded. Which would not only shut down RIM but any provider not in order with a court order.
It wouldn't get to an undergroup RIM conenction like booze did.

If the court says cut it and it gets held up to the supreme court it gets cut. Look at the Terry Sivo name probally no tright but the thing in FL on life support than off cause of court order than on cause of order than off for years till supreme court jumped in and she was allowed to die. If the supreme court can say live or die and had hundred of thousands of people saying no and trying to sneak food in ect which company if big or strong enough to take on the goverment when even micosoft couldn't and lost its case to them.

Even after this is down NTP can still sue RIM cause it violated patents and when people can get millions of dollars for burning thier tongue on hot coffee from a jury who knows what NTP could get.

Now with the smart phones BB is and can be replaced easy. Look on http://www.howardforums.com alot of BB users are switching to the new I930 from Nextel cause it synchs with MS exchange server without the need to buy a 3K BES like rim. It has a full keyboard that can clip to the bottom or be used like some of the new rims. After all if you can synch email with the devcie isn't that the same thing BB does after all. It synchs contacts, appointments, and emails just like rim and I use the web client so mine doesn't even synch I have to plug it in to synch. With the new i930 I can have a full synch just like if I was on a BES without the added cost and no third party like rim. Also the plan is 10/month for unlimted data which means about $30 bucks saved cause $40 for unlimted for rim.

With SD card you can have 802.11b and use VOIP, or have a bluetooth sd card and have FULL bluetooth. With the new phones coming out you can do more than you can with a rim device anyway. But they didn't listen to what people wanted and now people have a option and the other devices will keep getting better.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

good luck with windows os.. and the 930 synces but doesnt have push email... the 930 takes hella long to turn on and is still more phone then pda..sounds like you are asmart phone guy..sorry to hear that...lmao
Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
corey@12mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsaa
HAHAHA Good one.
Hey! where you been hiding? What does ya want to argue about next? hehe

cd.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn
good luck with windows os.. and the 930 synces but doesnt have push email... the 930 takes hella long to turn on and is still more phone then pda..sounds like you are asmart phone guy..sorry to hear that...lmao
Hey after the suit RIM might not have push either. I haven't gotten the phone as of yet but from what I see you can set it up and each time using outlook on your desktop it will forward a mail to the phone which is a push cause phone not pulling it. Phone would be recieving not requesting. But you can set it up to also check (Pull) depends on how much bandwidth you want to use. Right now I do not have 3K investied in a BES so my BB does not synch ota but that phone would whether push or pull. Well I had to reboot my BB this morning and that was not that fast either. I leave my bb or any other cell on 24/7 so it is only off when I have to reboot.
Alot of other people are also switching to the i930 see howardforums.com I am getting it and testing for 30 days and will see if I send it back or switch.
But when you have the option to have full bluetooth, synching when using the BB with a webclient doesn't have synch at all ota, ir transfer, wifi, voip, and expandable memory doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Hey maybe once I get it I will be like this sucks have to wait to see but I doubt when RIM first came out that they went through 19,000 devices in under 3 hours of release. They can't even keep them in stock had to even take the phone off the web cause can't supply the demand for the phones. They are even being sold on ebay for 499.00 and yes you can get a BB for 199.00. If you get the phone with a contract you can get it for 349.00 not quite double the BB but more for sure.

You know what any version of Windows is slow also but what do you have on your PC. I use a PC with Windows but I also have a seperate PC with Linux. But with as many problems, viruses, security holes, patching, blue screens, ect I bet you use an MS product on your home PC right? Macs are faster but don't see many using them anymore as well. Linux is more stable and less security risks than any MS product but people still go with the slow MS cause widely supported. If it takes me a whole minute more or 5 mintues more to get an email it isn't going to kill me after all RIM has had issues and haven't always been speedy or an ISP or route to or from can get caught in downtime and delays.

If I had my own BES that might be differant cause than would actually have an active snych but to pay 2-3K for one for me not worth it but I can get one that does ota without the cost of a BES the i930.

So will have to see what I think when I get it and go from there. Have to try new technology after all if you dont you can miss out on alot. After all at one point RIM was new technology and it got this far. If this phone doesn't out do RIM another one will. Than after there is another king of the hill yet another will knock that one off as well. BUt if it is MS that does it might be hard cause guess what how often do you see a PC sold without an MS OS installed? How many people use something differant than MS? The majority is MS OS's and there is faster, and more secure systems but most people are using MS. So watch out they might just take over the phone as well. With email ect after all picture a video conference on the road who would be able to do that RIM? If you can synch email, synch appointments, video capture, camera, send documents, send Mulitimedia files, text chat, voice chat, VOIP, file transfer without cradle using IR, Bluetooth, or OTA what could be easier?

You can do all that on the I930 but can you on a BB? You can also do that all on a desktop so now the phones are becoming portable offices after all isn't that what BB was?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Hey! where you been hiding? What does ya want to argue about next? hehe

cd.
Ha ha. Ive been around, just swapped at work with the midterm elections coming next year. Pretty much just workin on the primaries and getting everything sorted out. What's new? No more arguing, haha.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #13
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

dont use pc i use mac..windows crashes mac's dont as simply as that..and the i930 will do the shake as we call it in the hood..just give it time..my bb is the most stable device i ever had and i had them all..motorola 2way pagers, palms, pocket pc, and smart phones...
Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Blackberry's are much better than any other palm or pocket PC ive owned as well.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 10-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
corey@12mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzarcone
Macs are faster but don't see many using them anymore as well. Linux is more stable and less security risks than any MS product but people still go with the slow MS cause widely supported.
Those 2 sentences say it all...

Macs are not faster by any stretch of the imagination... I have a dual core AMD 64bit system that I put together for under $2000 canadian, that I would put up against any G5 system you want... I guarantee I will smoke the Mac.

Saying that Linux has less security risks than Windows once again shows a complete lack of knowledge towards operating systems and security, there are 10 times more security issues with Linux. Where Linux comes in ahead of Windows is that they get addressed and resolved a bit quicker. You should subscribe to BugTraq and read up on Security Focus a bit more... your opinion would change. Windows issues are more publicized than Linux issues for 1 simple fact... everybody runs windows.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #16
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

its like beer..some one likes coors and another likes bud..you will never get either of them to change there minds...lmao i just had better experences with my mac then my labtop with windows...
Old 10-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Where Linux comes in ahead of Windows is that they get addressed and resolved a bit quicker ... Windows issues are more publicized than Linux issues for 1 simple fact... everybody runs windows.
actually, those two sentences say it all. Linux does have more security risks than Windows, but those issues affecting Windows affect something like 90% of all computer users. these being consumers and corporate workstations and NOT the servers and switches of the world has a lot to do with what news gets reported and what doesn't. trust me, if half those users who are affected by monthly and bi-monthly Windows patches are upset and annoyed, then they should subscribe to BugTraq or any number of security mailing lists that are available for the industry.

Microsoft keeps their source code private. while the open-source industry may not like this, its ultimately the reason why there have been far fewer security exploits within Windows and the related server/workstation products over the years when compared to the open-source Linux distributions. There are rarely any bugs in the various true Unix platforms, to my knowledge, with most exploits coming from various modules and applications that have been installed (most commonly open-source).

while i love the idea of the open-source initiative, it is ultimately not the correct solution for the joe-users of the world. this push to put Linux into homes is a horrible, horrible idea. and the day that it does happen, i can guarantee that it will soon be followed by a massive number of news articles and a lot of people moving back to Microsoft.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #18
Nextel User

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

same is true with Mozilla. ppl think it is a more secure browser than IE. in fact it is a LOT less secure. it just isnt attacked as much because IE is so much more popular.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

haha pwned. He must be a Good Technologies employee
Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #20
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI", Part IV
Good one NJ - but lawyers are big users of Blackberry's!
Closed Thread